protecting skis

Old January 29th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default protecting skis

We hear about covering the gliding surfaces of skis with storage wax,
but what about when you wax up a pair of skis, scrape and brush them,
and then don't use them. How important is it to put some more wax on?
What if they won't be used for a few weeks. Or what if they won't be
used for six months?
--
JT
****************************
Old January 29th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Norski

John,
In my opinion, there shouldn't be any problem leaving the skis for
several months covered with wax that has already been scraped. However it is
a problem when people put skis away for the summer that are dry and dirty
from skiing on them for several hours.
Keeping the skis in a basement where it is cooler and out of the sun
would help.
You could also take and quickly crayon a soft wax like Swix CH10 or
BP88, Toko yellow or similar to cover up the scraped skis.

Why are you not using the skis?
It's winter time. Time to ski!

Paul Haltvick
Bay Design and Build - LLC
Engineering, Construction and Information Technology Services
FSx Midwest - Fischer / Swix Racing

Old January 29th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

JT,

If you're out for training, dont' worry about using skis waxed a week,
two weeks or a couple months previous. For racing, I think it's best
to rewax. It seems to matter most with Cera F. I have, on a few
occasions, waxed two pair with Cera F for a race, and then trained on
the unused pair a week later. For some reason they just didn't seem to
have the speed I expected. Yup, totally non-scientific. Yup, the
conditions may have been marginal for Cera, but I've had it happed a
couple times, so I always Cera the night before (and not try to "save"
a pair for a week.) With other waxes, particularly hard waxes, I don't
_think_ it matters much. If anyone has had similar or conflicting
experiences, I'm all ears.

Jay

Old January 30th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
wintermutt

On Jan 28, 7:02 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
We hear about covering the gliding surfaces of skis with storage wax,
but what about when you wax up a pair of skis, scrape and brush them,
and then don't use them. How important is it to put some more wax on?
What if they won't be used for a few weeks. Or what if they won't be
used for six months?
--
JT
****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visithttp://www.jt10000.com
****************************

i would just put some wax on them. why not? if you do not have any of
the stuff you need just
get some ski wax at REI (or whatever is cheapest it is going to come
off anyway in 6 months) then warm the wax so it is soft (hair dryer?)
then smear it on the ski bases. leave it on nice and thick then stick
the skis in the coolest part of your house.

Old January 30th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:
We hear about covering the gliding surfaces of skis with storage wax,
but what about when you wax up a pair of skis, scrape and brush them,
and then don't use them. How important is it to put some more wax on?
What if they won't be used for a few weeks. Or what if they won't be
used for six months?

i would just put some wax on them. why not? if you do not have any of
the stuff you need just
get some ski wax at REI (or whatever is cheapest it is going to come
off anyway in 6 months) then warm the wax so it is soft (hair dryer?)
then smear it on the ski bases. leave it on nice and thick then stick
the skis in the coolest part of your house.

The cost of the wax is not a problem, but the time involved in
scraping and brushing again, and clearning up after that, is.

--
JT
****************************
Old January 30th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 28, 9:02 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

What if they won't be used for a few weeks. Or what if they won't be
used for six months?

John,

I'm w/you: it's the time and trouble of waxing/scraping/brushing/
cleaning up that deters me, not the cost of a few ounces of CH10.
OTOH, I also agree w/Paul that waxing/cleaning for summer storage
makes intuitive sense (maybe just because I've always done it), while
not waxing them if they'll sit unused for a few weeks doesn't seem to
have any effect.
To immediately contradict myself, one of the fastest skis I own had
been sitting in the shop for two years, unwaxed, and performed very
well w/only minimal preparation. Maybe it would have been even faster
had it been covered w/wax; who knows?
Real data on a question like this would be nice to have but xc skiing
knowledge seems to be about 5% data, and 95% conventional wisdom.
Jay's comment about Cera F is interesting - I don't use it enough to
have an opinion.

Russ

Old January 31st 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Jan 29, 4:02 am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
We hear about covering the gliding surfaces of skis with storage wax,
but what about when you wax up a pair of skis, scrape and brush them,
and then don't use them. How important is it to put some more wax on?
What if they won't be used for a few weeks. Or what if they won't be
used for six months?

Hey JT,

What's your secret for being in a position to worry about waxing at 6
month intervals? Summer house in the Andes? Where do I sign up!

Joseph

Old January 31st 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:
We hear about covering the gliding surfaces of skis with storage wax,
but what about when you wax up a pair of skis, scrape and brush them,
and then don't use them. How important is it to put some more wax on?
What if they won't be used for a few weeks. Or what if they won't be
used for six months?

What's your secret for being in a position to worry about waxing at 6
month intervals? Summer house in the Andes? Where do I sign up!

Shouldve been 8 months of no skiing for sure. On occassion it's
skiing in April and December.

I think Ken Roberts doesn't go more then four months w/o skiing
though.
--
JT
****************************
Old February 1st 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ken Roberts

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote
I think Ken Roberts doesn't go more then four months
without skiing though.

I do like to ski a lot, but it doesn't usually work out quite that often. I
like to ski in each month December thru early May (but on groomed tracks
only until early April). May is in the backcountry, and it seems to be
getting tougher each year to find a snow situation to make it worthwhile for
me. I've got serious doubts about May for this season.

This year I missed December. November I gave up on long ago. I think I've
skied at most once in November in the last fifteen years. One year I skied
in July, and a few years in June like more than ten years ago.

Nowadays I'm quicker to get into bicycle touring and road-skating. Finding
out how much fun it is to use poles with inline skates (and switching from
aluminum to fiberglass/carbon rollerski poles) isn't going to obstruct that
any. Also since cross-country skiing taught me how to have fun exercising in
the cold, I'm happy to keep extending my bicycling and road-skating into
December (and Sharon and I will probably be out riding on our tandem this
coming Saturday, given temperatures up to +2C).

So it's pretty much 6 months without skiing -- alas perhaps going on 7?

Ken

Old February 2nd 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
kskier

John,,,,,,,,,,,,alot of depends on how many pairs of skis you have. if
you only have a one pair for skate and classic, you probalbly won't
have the time to leave wax on them, and scrape before you use them. I
aggree with the one reply, that it probably won't hurt if you leave
them sit, waxed, scraped, and unused for a length of time, unless of
course if you are on the world cup circuit, leaving them sit that long
could hinder your race performance. I have 2 pair of each, skate, and
classic, and my rock skis, and if I am up to form on my waxing I will
have each pair waxed for warmer, and colder, and leave the wax on the
ski, and scrape before I use them. That way if I don't get to use one
of my pair,,,,,,,they can sit till next year with storage wax on them.