Skier etiquette

Old January 23rd 05, 03:16 PM

Default Skier etiquette

I've seen faster skiers pass with no warnings given, only to startle the
slower skiers who had no idea anybody was behind them. It can be a
disastrous reaction.

I do the same thing when I'm biking, just think it's common courtesy.

BC

http://mail2web.com/ .

Old January 23rd 05, 03:53 PM
sknyski

This is retarded. Do you honk each time you pass a car on the freeway?
Trails are usually more than wide enough to accompany two skiers (a
fast one and yourself) without the faster one having to call out a
warning each time. Not to sound like a complete asshole (it's hard,
trust me), but if I'm skiing at a place like Royal Gorge I'd go hoarse
by the end of the day calling out a warning each time I went past
someone. I just give people a wide berth, go around (instead of
yelling track and expecting them to move), and on occasion saying
hello.

Each sport has its own ettiquette. I don't know what the rules are in
cycling (though the weekend Lance Armstrongs who regularly blow by me
don't say anything and I don't care). I have a suggestion - since you
are obviously a newbie, why don't you find out first what the sport's
etiquette is before you start lecturing us about what it should be?
I've been skiing over 30 years and occasionaly some clown (maybe once
every couple of years) will holler at me for not warning him. The last
time was some bearded-weirdo granola muncher, obviously from Berkeley,
who chewed me out after slipping by his out-of-control body while going
down a hill. I almost threw him into a snowbank.

Ok, guys (GC, JFT, and the rest), let me have it.

bt

Old January 23rd 05, 04:05 PM
32 degrees

You just made me bust out laughing sknyski.
Thanks.
Gotta love it when people let down their political politeness and just give
their thoughts.
I wanted to tell the guy who asked about dogs on the trail to "keep your
stupid dog at home and let him run in your back yard" but I didnt.
Wish I had now.
JK

oups.com...

Old January 23rd 05, 06:00 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 23 Jan 2005 07:53:59 -0800, "sknyski" wrote:

This is retarded. Do you honk each time you pass a car on the freeway?

Exactly.

Each sport has its own ettiquette.

The downhill skiers have precedence in skiing is particular to skiing
and makes sense. But the concept of "warning" someone in passing is
universally retarded regardless of whether you're on a bike, in car,
running, cycling, whatever. The only time a warning like that has
value is if you are passing someone really close. But passing someone
that close is obnoxious in a public space. If you are overtakign
someone, it's your responsiblity to not buzz them. And if you're not
buzzing them, the honking, hupping, tracking, on your lefting is
retarded. Just say hello after you pass if you have to say anything.

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 23rd 05, 07:26 PM
Hank Garretson

At 10:42 23 01 05 Sunday, JFT wrote:

The downhill skiers have precedence in skiing is particular to skiing
and makes sense.

Doesn't make sense to me and not what I see commonly practiced. What makes
sense to me is to give the right of way to the poor bloke climbing
uphill. Why should he have to break his stride and rhythm during a hard
part of his outing when it is so easy for the downhill skier to yield. If
I am coming downhill in the tracks and someone is coming up in the tracks,
I get out of the tracks, and I try to do it early enough so the climbing
skier knows that I am yielding to him. If someone is skating uphill, I get
in the tracks coming down, and again try to do it early so there is no
question that I am yielding. Often for the skating case, I'll give an
early "Hello" if the uphill skater is drifting over into the tracks with
his head down. All of the above works smoothly with never a
problem. Seems like the most sensible and most courteous way to do it to me.

Ski Exuberantly,

Hank

Mammoth Lakes, Calif.

Old January 23rd 05, 10:43 PM
SUSAN BURAK

Well put Hank. This is what most of us here practice.
Sue

Old January 24th 05, 07:21 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

I think you should go back and think about what was actually said and
implied in the original post, rather than throwing off thoughtless
comments. If the person in front is going to be startled, then the
chances are the available (or whole) trail is not wide. Moreover, how
does it serve popularizing the sport and building a friendly atmosphere
to go around startling people? The same applies on a bicycle, where
it's also a matter of safety (somebody veering out into the way of the
passer out of careless, care-freeness or to avoid an obstacle the
passing cyclist can't see). And then, there's the matter of cyclists
passing rollerskiers -- don't get me started. I agree 100% with the OP.

Gene

Old January 24th 05, 07:54 AM
Terje Mathisen

32 degrees wrote:

You just made me bust out laughing sknyski.
Thanks.
Gotta love it when people let down their political politeness and just give
their thoughts.

There's no need to become PC about this at all, the (unwritten) rules
are pretty obvious:

When in a race, do whatever you like (I won't be competing against you
anyway, right?)

When out skiing in Nordmarka or anywhere else with set tracks the only
rules I teach my kids are these:

The person overtaking is always responsible. This means waiting politely
behind until you can pass safely.

When meeting another skier, keep to the right.

When meeting on a narrow (single-track) trail, the person coming
downhill will usually have right-of-way, or rather: The person coming
up-hill can more easily step sideways out of the tracks.

Is there anywhere in the world where you don't do it like this?

Terje
--
-