Compressed Interval Block Training - Good or Bad?

Old October 21st 04, 05:50 AM
Nathan Schultz

Hi Steve,

Most of the people I have talked to definitely do *not* consider these
"max" intervals. They are level 4 VO2 intervals. Hard, but certainly not
max. The general rule seems to be 4-5 minutes per interval and 15-20
minutes of work in each session. This is enough work to produce the desired
adaptations, but by keeping these intervals under control and having a
relatively short total work time in each session, it should not be too much
to handle.

As you say, the "goal" intensity is not acheived until well into the
interval. In fact, I would say it is more like a minute to 90 seconds
before the goal intensity is achieved. This leaves 2.5-3.5 minutes at the
goal intensity, which the physiologists tell us is about the right amount of
time to spend to achieve the adaptations we're seeking.

I'm not sure I follow your logic on why this makes HR monitoring
difficult. Certainly, during the "warmup" period of each interval, HR is
pretty meaningless. But once you hit the meat of the interval, you should
be on target between 90-95% of max HR. If your HR is higher than this, you
are heading more into the anaerobic zone and you will acheive some different
effects.

Is this what you're saying? Or am I confused?

-Nathan
www.nsavage.com

"Steve McGregor" wrote in message
om...
Since you mentioned heart rate, I will add this.. max intervals like
these is/are(?) one type of training that doesn't lend itself well to
HR monitoring. If you are talking about a 4 min interval, it's going
to take at least 30 s if not a minute for HR to get into the range you
are talking about. So, don't do the interval for 4 min at the zone 5
HR, because that turns out to be a 4.5-5 min interval at max and 5 min
is about the max amount of time you should spend at this pace. You
really need to go all out for a pace you think you can maintaini for 4
min. At the end of the interval, you can check HR and see if it is
reasonable for a max interval. On the next one, you can adjust your
effort based on this feedback. If doing a block, you will get the
feeling of the correct effort pretty quick.

(Chris Pella) wrote in message

. com...
Nathan,
When you say 4x4 Roll Classic, are you referring to striding uphill? I
can get my heart rate into zone 4 by double-poling but only barely and
it takes some time to get there. I've avoided striding because I find
it difficult to keep classic rollerskis lined up and under control -
perhaps because they are so heavy - and my technique suffers.

Chris

"Nathan Schultz" wrote in message

Hi Tim,

I have tried the intensity blocks in my own training and with

several
athletes that I coach and we've all had great success with it. The

science
seems to show that a block of between 5 and 9 days works best for most
people. More than that and people kill themselves, less than that and

the
VO2max increase is not as dramatic.

In my experience, I've noticed that at the end of the block, even

though
I am much more tired than when I started, my times are faster and the
training feels more comfortable. One of my coaching clients freaked

out
about his intensity block that I prescribed a few weeks before the

Chicago
Marathon. He did it, though, and ended up taking 37 minutes off of

his PR
and said he could have run faster but he was too scared to open too

hard.
Out of everything that we did in preparing him for the race, he

attributed
the biggest success to the intensity block.

Some key elements of the intensity blocks from my experiences:
1. Level 4 training is not level 5 training. It must be done at the

right
intensity to be successful.
2. An athlete must be prepared for the intensity block. As in all

things
training, it is good to build up at a pace that allows your body to

adapt
slowly. Don't hop off the couch and expect that doing intervals for

six
days is a good idea. You need to have done at least some threshold

work and
a little bit of level 4 intensity before jumping off into a block of

level 4
intensity training.
3. There must be adequate rest between the intervals and between the
interval sessions. There should not be much more than strength

prescribed
during the intensity blocks aside from the intensity itself. Older

skiers
and those at altitude should probably not do more than 3-4 sessions in

a row
without a break from intensity for a day.
4. Try to make the intensity sessions as specific as possible to gain

the
biggest benefits.
5. Find a way to objectively evaluate the success of the block.

There are
several ways to do this. You can do a field test or get a VO2 test

before
and after the block. You can also judge this as you do your intensity

block
by repeating intervals sessions throughout the block. For example,

the
following block of training will give you a fairly good feel for
improvements while they are happening:
Day 1: Interval session 4x4 Roll SK at location 1.
Day 2: Interval session 5x4 Hill Bounding Location 2.
Day 3: 4x4 Roll Classic location 3.
Day 4: 4x4 Roll SK location 1
Day 5: 5x4 Hill Bounding Location 2
Day 6: 4x4 Roll CL Location 3.

Good luck, they really do work. They better, because doing a

block of
training like this can be pretty tough!

Nathan

"Tim Kelley" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm wondering what readers of rec.nordic.skiing think of the

interval
block training that the US Ski Team, for instance, is doing this

year.
Is it the wave of the future, a fad, or not a good idea?

I'm thinking that this form of training reflects the demands of new
racing formats. With mass starts becoming the predominant race

format
and sprint racing ever growing - you need to be very powerful and

able
to run your heart to the redline often to hang with breaks. I think
compressed blocks of interval sessions will acheive these this. I

also
think this is a ballsy move on the part of the USST to go this

route.
And I appreciate the fact that they taking risks that may get them
higher on the World Cup result lists.

But I'm sure other r.s.n have different opinions. And I think this
topic may make a good discussion thread.

I'm also wondering how the Canadians national team members may be
training different that the US. These days the Canadians may not

have
a Kris Freeman ... but man, they sure have depth!! I don't every
remember seeing such strength in numbers with the Canadian men (look

at
US Nationals results or New Zealand results). Have the Canadian men
been inspired by Golden Beckie, do they subscribe to compressed
interval block training or is the beer in Canada these days really

that
much better than US beer!?!

TK

Old October 21st 04, 07:24 AM
Anders Lustig

(Chris Pella) wrote in message . com...

I think there is more than anectodal evidence to support the VO2 max
blocks. There was a series by Aalberg on FasterSkier that summarized
it, but it appears that the limiting factor for getting Oxygen to your
muscles is not the muscle's ability to utilize it, but the delivery
system. These training blocks are supposed to increase your VO2 max by
increasing cardiac stroke volume, which was previously thought to
plateau at 75% of max effort. I'm sure it also increases efficiency.

I wasnīt arguing against the VO2max blocks. To anyone familiar
with Lydiard and his concept of a long period of steady state
training followed by a short period of specific speed and stamina
work, this new idea isnīt all that objectionable in principle:-)

What I questioned was a) the general value of such enthusiastic
testimony, and b) the specific value of such block training for
any marathoner who isnīt as close to being an untrained beginner
or an eternal plodder who has never done any Zone 4 workouts as
the runner in the anecdote.

I do agree that a marathoner of this kind tends to improve his
PB considerably simply be learning to run, i.e. by increasing
his efficiency, and doing a sizeable amount, i.e. 5-9x4x4min,
of fast-paced running will almost certainly produce a positive
result for that reason alone.

It's still relevant. Increasing VO2max will pull the lactate threshold
up so they will be running at a higher percentage of their previous
VO2max (MLSS) without fatigue. Of course they still have to train
their muscles for the long distances.

Of course on both counts. The new v70%VO2max will be equal to,
say, the old v75%VO2max and if the muscles which are employed
in running at the new pace are trained well enough, the runner
can sustain that pace for the distance.

But the old truth - that for someone whose trained a bit longer
and done any kind of VO2max workouts with any regularity, there
is no such significant or quick gain in his marathon pace to be
gained by increasing his VO2max by block interval training -
is still true, isnīt it?

Or did I indeed miss an essential part, such as that the VO2max
which was previously thought to plateau (earlyish) has now been
shown to increase (above what traditional methods resulted in)
after a short period of block interval training?

I just finished a 6 day block Monday and found that I was feeling very
strong at the end. 3 of the 5 workouts were running. When I went for
zone 1 hour run the next day it felt even more ridiculously easy than
normal.

FWIW I seem to have good days and bad days for no particular
reason:-)

Anders
Old October 21st 04, 01:20 PM
Chris Pella

Nathan said it better than I could. Just wanted to add that if I went
4 mins at maximum effort, I probably would have to wait much longer
than 3 mins before I was able to do another one, and the protocol
would be blown. The purpose of the VO2 intervals is not to train
lactate tolerance, although that is going to happen as a side-effect.
When I was in high school track we middle distance runners would do
repeat 400s at max effort, and the work time per interval was more
like 70s. You really felt like puking after the last one. That's my
idea of level 5 max effort.

Old October 21st 04, 06:58 PM
AKSledHead

One very important note is that most "part-time" athletes are not fit
enough to do more than 3 or 4 sessions in a block without at least a little
rest. So, no, you shouldn't feel like you are capable of doing 9 days of
hard intervals in a row, nor should you try. Leave that to the guys like
Eloffson.

Nathan,

I think your last paragraph is a KEY POINT that masters should heed!

To often in the past World Cup or USST training schedules have been
scaled down to fit masters schedules. Often the result is a bad plan
for masters athletes.

I remember when many coaches were saying Wassberg, Svan, Daehlie ...
they do 90-95% easy distance ... easy distance is the key! So masters
were often told to focus on easy distance, with intervals only now and
then. And by some miracle - by going slow all the time, they would
ski fast at race time. The deal here is that elite skiers train
800-900 hours a year do a low% of speed and interval work as a
proportion of their total. But if you only train 400 hours a year,
your intensity percentage should be higher. So - over the years many
masters were coached to ski much slower than they could by paterning
their training after WC and USST models.

With World Cup / USST racers doing interval blocks of 5 to 9 days, I
think masters could be duped into thinking this will help them. Like
you said - for a master training 250 - 400 hours a year ... doing 5 to
9 straight days of intervals would be just flat ass dumb.

When the big boys come into 5-9 day interval blocks they are coming
off of a 80-100 hour month. They also have time to rest (I mean
REALLY rest - sleep over 7 hours a night, nap, not work). So reducing
the training volume for 9 days to fluff up their VO2 Max is okay. But
most masters need to improve their base fitness. The fitness needed
to do 2 to 3 hour races. I've got to think that a better solution is
a mix of intervals and distance in this case.

I've been playing with "micro blocks of intervals". A conservative
approach, I pick 3 days and do intensive intervals these days, and
beef up the distance on the other days. Also I think the 4x4 minute
intervals make sense if you are doing 5-9 days worth. But a 4x4
minute workout IMHO is a puny workout. I think if you do a 3 day
block, you are better off going 6x4 or more.

Hopefully not too many "part time" skiers will get burned by this
current craze (unless, of course, they are my competition !! ;-) )

Tim Kelley
Old October 21st 04, 09:08 PM
Steve McGregor

"Nathan Schultz" wrote in message ...
Hi Steve,

Most of the people I have talked to definitely do *not* consider these
"max" intervals. They are level 4 VO2 intervals. Hard, but certainly not
max. The general rule seems to be 4-5 minutes per interval and 15-20
minutes of work in each session. This is enough work to produce the desired
adaptations, but by keeping these intervals under control and having a
relatively short total work time in each session, it should not be too much
to handle.

Agreed, the level definitions are variable depending on who you talk
to. I was using max as a shorthand for VO2max, as opposed to
anaerobic all out max. I personally don't do these much for skiing,
but on a bike so I can nail the intensity with a powermeter. I don't
run, but running is good to use the track as Chris was talking about.
Pace and or power are the best measures as opposed to HR. On
rollerskis, pace can work okay, as long as equipment issues are
controlled for. On snow, perceived exertion is probably best due to
the plethora of factors that affect pace.

As you say, the "goal" intensity is not acheived until well into the
interval. In fact, I would say it is more like a minute to 90 seconds
before the goal intensity is achieved. This leaves 2.5-3.5 minutes at the
goal intensity, which the physiologists tell us is about the right amount of
time to spend to achieve the adaptations we're seeking.

I would argue, that intensity would be measured by the work done, and
if done correctly, that intensity is reached immediately. The way
most people measure intensity, HR, lags, and as we both agree, it
takes a while to get to the correct level. The problem is, many
people rely on their HRM too much, and try to get the HR into the
correct zone immediately, and overcook the beginning of the interval,
so, it turns out being an anaerobic interval that is too hard. So,
within the context of the exact interval itself, HR is not a great
measure, the pace would be. Get to your taget pace and maintain that.
For assessment matters, if you use downloadable HRM, the HR will
actually be in the right zone for approximately the correct amount of
time, as HR will lag after the inteval and remain elevated. Depending
on fitness, probably not as long as it took to get up, but close
enough for horseshoes.

Old October 21st 04, 09:14 PM
Steve McGregor

I will also add that there is a school of thought that the traditional
4 x 4, or something like that, approach is not the optimal way to
train VO2max, but a criss cross type of training using very short 30 s
intervals is best. In this case, you would do 30 s on, 30 s off, 30s
on, etc.. This seems to be less stressful from a perceived exertion
standpoint and allows the person to stay at VO2max for a continuous
period of time up to 15 min. Using this approach, the 30 s recovery
is short enough that all the factors contributing to VO2max metabolism
are still turned on, but you get a perceived rest. I don't know if I
would totally replace the 4 x 4 or 5, but might substitute for one or
two workouts.

Steve

Old October 21st 04, 09:32 PM
Nathan Schultz

Anders,

I see where you are going as this whole intensity block thing has taken
the US Scene by storm and has definitely become a fad. There are definitely
dangers in that, but there are few things that I have seen in my skiing and
coaching career that seem to work as well as this and work for such a broad
range of athletes, from the average Joe to some of the best skiers in the
world. But from all the evidence I've seen, both scientific and analogous,
intensity blocks really make a difference.

My intent was never to say that he took 37 minutes off of his marathon
time exclusively due to the intensity block intervals he did. But I think
it is noteworthy that he felt that the intensity block dramatically improved
his speed at race pace and made running fast feel more comfortable. I
apologize if this made me sound like a cheerleader.

But the old truth - that for someone whose trained a bit longer
and done any kind of VO2max workouts with any regularity, there
is no such significant or quick gain in his marathon pace to be
gained by increasing his VO2max by block interval training -
is still true, isnīt it?

Or did I indeed miss an essential part, such as that the VO2max
which was previously thought to plateau (earlyish) has now been
shown to increase (above what traditional methods resulted in)
after a short period of block interval training?

The key thing that you are missing here is that VO2max, even though a
specific athlete's maximum recorded value will max out pretty early in a
serious athlete's career, is not constant throughout the year. During
certain periods of training and racing, values for top male skiers can
change by as much as 10-15% in the course of a month. This VO2 block
training bumps up the VO2max in ways that regular, steady VO2 training just
will not do.

The runner in the anecdote I gave who took off 37 minutes from his
marathon time was not a plodding beginner. He was by no means an
experienced elite, but he was not untrained. Before his first running
marathon, he had been training seriously for 18 months under my coaching and
had been doing a regimented program of intervals, both threshold and VO2.
Before that he had trained seriously for about two years on his own. When
he ran his second marathon a year later, certainly, he benefited from
another 12 months of regimented training

I just finished a 6 day block Monday and found that I was feeling very
strong at the end. 3 of the 5 workouts were running. When I went for
zone 1 hour run the next day it felt even more ridiculously easy than
normal.

FWIW I seem to have good days and bad days for no particular
reason:-)

Well, yes that is true, some days we just feel better than others. But
I think there is enough evidence here to support my claim. There are many
athletes who have reported similar experiences to mine - both elite and
citizen-level. It seems more than just random chance that after 3 days of
doing hard intervals if I repeat those exact intervals for another three
days that my performance has increased over the first 3 days while feeling
easier. In fact, it seems logical that my performance should decrease
because I should be tired.

So, why not give it a try? What do you have to lose? If it works for
you, then great. If not, then don't do them again. The point is to try to
educate people with my experience as an athlete and coach and let them make
their own judgements. I can't do much more than that. I sincerely believe
that interval block training is a great tool for elites especially, but also
for well-prepared non-elites as well. I don't make any claim that these or
any other training methods I describe are absolutely the best way to do
anything.

-Nathan
www.nsavage.com

Old October 21st 04, 09:54 PM
Nathan Schultz

Steve,

All good points you made in the last email.

HR monitors are great tools, but like all tools, they have weaknesses.
We as skiers unfortunately have a huge disadvantage over many other sports
in measuring the activity that we do. Snow speed changes from minute to
minute, and rollerskis are more consistent, yet have too many confounding
variables such as wheel temperature and pavement hardness to give a really
precise, consistent measurement.

Like you say, perceived exertion has to come into play for the skier, and
unfortunately, that is something that only really works with experience. HR
monitors help in that they can tell you to slow down or speed up, but only
once you've reached a steady state. You need to know how fast that pace is
when you start the interval, and this can only be found through experience.

The 30/30 intervals you mention are a great way to raise VO2max. But
they can have a little more anaerobic character if not done very controlled.
I've never heard of those being used throughout an entire season, and I
think it is because of this. I've only heard of this type of a workout
being used for increasing aerobic and anaerobic power, not capacity, which
is what the traditional longer intervals are generally perceived to do.

Plus, what kind of a wuss would say that they are better because they
don't hurt as much?

Old October 22nd 04, 01:54 PM
Steve McGregor

First of all, are you calling me a wuss? Watch it or you'll get an
Alulite over the head. Granted I'm so wimpy I don't even use Aluminum
poles anymore, so, I might not be able to swing it over you head.

You are right that the 30/30s if not done properly might have the
wrong characteristic, but,... they do increase capacity if done
properly. Proponents would argue that they increase capacity to a
greater extent than the traditional approach because they allow the
subject.. er..... athlete to maintian actual VO2max metabolism and
physiological responses longer, hence inducing a greater overload.
I'm not necessarlity recommending them as a replacement, just putting
forth the arguments. The data is pretty convincing though that they
do increase capacity, although, I'm not aware of a direct head to head
comparison of effectiveness under controlled situations. So, since
most traditionalists would not be convinced of the effectiveness of
the approach, I am not surprised that nobody would recommend them (I
remember my intial reaction when I started reading papers
demonstrating the effectiveness of the approach). I would say though
that they would be worth trying in running or cycling, as a cross
training adjunct to skiing, where workload can be more effectively
controlled.

With regard to the perceived exertion, I am horrible at it, and I have
been training for a long, long, time. I was essentially married to my
heart rate monitor for years, then had to get a divorce so I could
marry my present wife. I still use HR to assess big picture training
intensity, but have moved more to pace in rollerskiing, and (god love
em) power measurement in cycling. If I were to base perceived
exertion recommendations on my own experience, I wouldn't even use
them, but for most trained individuals PE is pretty good.

Old October 24th 04, 03:23 PM
taywood

Watching on TV today the Team Sprints from Dusseldorf I was
reminded of this thread.
A 1.5Km loop approx, each racer doing 3.0 to 3.5 mins flat out
with the same rest time for 6 times.
During that rest time they had to walk to the waxing bench, grab
a drink and somehow try to rest before skis back on and race.
I can see now why Nathan has become an expert on this topic!!
Mike