Snow for Southern Alps tomorrow?

Old October 24th 07, 09:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss

Default Snow for Southern Alps tomorrow?

Meteo France is forecasting snowfalls 'above 1800m' for the Alpes du Sud
tomorrow (Thur) - Isola 2000 webcam images already show a reasonable
coverage, and temperatures here in France have been dropping.

Yes, it's still only October, but it's a start...

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude.

Old October 24th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
John Wilcock

Roger Moss wrote:
Meteo France is forecasting snowfalls 'above 1800m' for the Alpes du Sud
tomorrow (Thur) - Isola 2000 webcam images already show a reasonable
coverage, and temperatures here in France have been dropping.

Yes, it's still only October, but it's a start...

Other weather forecasters broadly agree - for example
http://www.meteo-chamonix.org/previ.htm suggests snow down to 1500/1700m
tomorrow, but followed by a mild-ish weekend with the 0°C isotherm back
up to 2500/2800m. More snow early next week, though only down to about
2200m.

Fairly typical autumn patterns, I'd say, but certainly more promising so
far than the mild autumns we've had in recent years. When I first moved
to Lyon not all that many years ago I always started my season in early
November (admittedly at resorts like Tignes, though one year I remember
skiing down to Les Brevières at 1300m in November), so here's to a good
start to the season...

John.

--
-- Over 3000 webcams from ski resorts around the world - www.snoweye.com
-- Translate your technical documents and web pages - www.tradoc.fr
Old October 24th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On Oct 24, 12:47 pm, John Wilcock wrote:
Roger Moss wrote:
[...]

A friend who's currently in her flat in Tignes says it's been subzero
this week and is snowing right now. This is about a week ahead of last
year, but the real question is whether it'll stay cold over the next 6
weeks and keep precipitating (unlike last year). December in Tignes
last year was pretty enjoyable, so I'm pretty hopeful. I just hope
there's enough for Val to actually hold the Criterium this year.

Matt