Scheduled Flights and ski boots

Old March 18th 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rod

Default Scheduled Flights and ski boots

Folks,

I'm looking to make a late season ski trip probably flying
Edinburgh-Zurich on either BMI or Lufthansa. I bring my own boots,
but always just hire skis at my destination. With all the recent
changes in luggage allowances on various airlines, I actually looked
at the rules on both these airlines' websites and now feel even more
confused (nothing new there I suppose!)

Anyway, looking at BMI it states that checked baggage up to 20Kg and
unlimited pieces is allowed. OK - looks good. But then it also says
that "Exceptional items of baggage that require special handling may
carry a charge depending on the fare purchased." and on the ticket I'm
looking at that would be £15 each way. It then defines "exceptional"
items as "skiing/snow boarding equipment - includes one pair of
skis/poles/boots or snow board and boots".

Now for several years its been quite common that skis are charged
extra - but the above seems to leave it open that if you turn up with
ski boots in a separate boot bag then they could also charge for them
as well - even if its all within the 20Kg checked luggage limit.

The Lufthansa website is also not 100% unambiguous, but I think seems
to imply that ski boots on their own do not incur an additional fee.

Anyone know if this does happen? The BMI flight is already more
expensive and adding another £30 would swing me towards the cheaper
(but slightly less convenient) Lufthansa flight...

Can't help feeling reading the small print was a mistake here! I
guess phoning the airline might get an answer - but whether its one I
would trust in practice is another matter - looking for any practical
experience here - especially with BMI...

Thanks

Rod
Old March 18th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rob White

I've never been charged for boots or excess baggage by any airline, no
matter how overweight I've been. Last week was typical - me and the wife
had two bags @ about 20kg each, plus her boot bag, plus two pairs of skis in
another bag - probably 60kg in all. The only time I've ever paid ski
carriage was when booking with 1st Choice, who rip you off for each pair of
skis, but even they only counted the number of ski bags and did not know
each bag had two or three pairs inside. Just book the cheapest ticket -
you'll be OK.

Rob

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

It has removed 665 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old March 18th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
John Ricketts

I dont know why people need to carry so much gear! For a weeks skiing
mid-season (and taking kit for high altitude/low temps) I still manage to
get the ski boots in my case with the rest of the gear! OK, you have to pack
fairly efficiently (and even stuff your boots with socks and smalls) and
have them clipped tight. Late season with less gear there should be no
problem packing it all in one regular size case!

Old March 18th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

"Rod" wrote in message
Folks,

I'm looking to make a late season ski trip probably flying
Edinburgh-Zurich on either BMI or Lufthansa. I bring my own boots,
but always just hire skis at my destination. With all the recent
changes in luggage allowances on various airlines, I actually looked
at the rules on both these airlines' websites and now feel even more
confused (nothing new there I suppose!)

Anyway, looking at BMI it states that checked baggage up to 20Kg and
unlimited pieces is allowed. OK - looks good. But then it also says
that "Exceptional items of baggage that require special handling may
carry a charge depending on the fare purchased." and on the ticket I'm
looking at that would be £15 each way. It then defines "exceptional"
items as "skiing/snow boarding equipment - includes one pair of
skis/poles/boots or snow board and boots".

But since you don't have the comination of Skis+Boots or board+boots presumably
you would not be charged.

If you want to be re-assured I would suggest contacting the airline, as it is an
airline specific issue.
Alternatively use a bag which is not obviously a (purpose made) boot bag.

I flew Easyjet where they charge for extra bags, but I had one bag with two sets
of boots in it.

--

Michael Chare

Old March 19th 07, 08:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
sjt

On Mar 18, 11:01 pm, "Michael Chare"
wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

[...]

Michael Chare- Hide quoted text -

The most simple solution is to put your ski boots in your main case,
and weigh it before you leave for the airport. Many of the carriers
are now charging for more than one bag, check the small print. I have
read elsewhere that some skiers have managed to get their boots on
board as hand luggage,within the measurement restrictions, but this is
at the mercy of the contract security staff at your departure point.

Old March 19th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rod

wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

Folks,

But since you don't have the comination of Skis+Boots or board+boots presumably
you would not be charged.

aye - probably right. I guess I've just got so suspicious of how some
airlines seem to be redefining baggage allowances in every more
"creative" ways to extract the maximum revenue...

The most simple solution is to put your ski boots in your main case,
and weigh it before you leave for the airport. Many of the carriers
are now charging for more than one bag, check the small print. I have
read elsewhere that some skiers have managed to get their boots on
board as hand luggage,within the measurement restrictions, but this is
at the mercy of the contract security staff at your departure point.

I considered this, but as this is a DIY trip, I find it easier to
sling my cloths bag over one shoulder and boot bag over the other as I
hoof it between one train platform and the next. I know I could just
go and buy one of those wheelie bags, but I'm hoping to postpone that
stage in the decline of my fitness level for a year or two yet ;-)

I used to be a firm believer in taking boots as hand luggage (after a
couple of bad experiences of them taking 3 days to catch up with me),
but even last winter it had become very difficult to get them past
security. I'm not even going to bother trying this year.

Anyway, I've gone ahead and booked the flight with BMI so we shall
see...

Thanks

Rod
Old April 15th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rod

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:16:12 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Anyway, looking at BMI it states that checked baggage up to 20Kg and
unlimited pieces is allowed. OK - looks good. But then it also says
that "Exceptional items of baggage that require special handling may
carry a charge depending on the fare purchased." and on the ticket I'm
looking at that would be £15 each way. It then defines "exceptional"
items as "skiing/snow boarding equipment - includes one pair of
skis/poles/boots or snow board and boots".

Now for several years its been quite common that skis are charged
extra - but the above seems to leave it open that if you turn up with
ski boots in a separate boot bag then they could also charge for them
as well - even if its all within the 20Kg checked luggage limit.

Just to confirm, as expected, that there was no extra charge. They
did however ask me to take the boot bag along to the "outsize luggage"
hander at Edinburgh on the way out.

Had a good time skiing in Arosa (small resort - OK for a couple of
days but even I was beginning to feel a bit bored by then. Very
"spring-like" skiing conditions at the start of April this year)
followed by a few days in Davos - where once again I had an excellent
time on the higher up pistes which were in fairly good condition.

Rod