Child friendly Europe resort & operator ?

Old September 2nd 03, 10:53 AM
MoonMan

Default Child friendly Europe resort & operator ?

In , Ace typed:
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 11:21:36 +0100, John Elgy
wrote:

snip

Plus, and this is probably the most important point, bottom-posting
_is_ the de-facto norm on this, and most other newsgroups, so it's a
question of common courtesy to stick to the same standards. It makes
it much easier for everyone if all posts are made in the same way.

come on Ace, I do stick to the standards, I just think they are silly and as
people won't snip, extremely annoying.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old September 2nd 03, 11:01 AM
Ace

wrote:

snip

Plus, and this is probably the most important point, bottom-posting
_is_ the de-facto norm on this, and most other newsgroups, so it's a
question of common courtesy to stick to the same standards. It makes
it much easier for everyone if all posts are made in the same way.

come on Ace, I do stick to the standards,

I wasn't talking about you, was I ?

I just think they are silly and as
people won't snip, extremely annoying.

Then nag them to snip properly, rather than complaining about having
to bottom-post like the rest of the world :-}

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old September 2nd 03, 11:46 AM
Ian Spare

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 11:21:36 +0100, John Elgy
wrote:

Creches. We have not had any difficulties with ESF, but have not been
able to get our son into any of the independent ski schools. They were
either full, or didn't do kids classes when we were their, or didn't
reply to emails.

You're not alone, I've had exactly the same experience trying to book
for my niece. I suspect what's happening is that the UK tour companies
are block booking the independents leaving little space for
independent travelers.

4/ Get the best (waterproof) gloves you can for the child and good
clothing. I recall seeing a group of American children in Sante Fe
sobbing with pain, due to the frozen fingers.

Or go in spring :-) Seriously, baring freak weather I'd not taken
young children any time other the spring.

5/ Choose a high level purpose built resort, preferably with an ice
rink, swimming pool etc. We have had a good time in all the Tarrentaise
resorts and from other postings Flaine may also be very good.

My niece favored Val D'Isere :-)

Ian

Old September 4th 03, 09:15 AM
Pete Dowling

Default Child friendly Europe resort & operator ? - Thanks !

Thank you all for your contributions & suggestions, it has given us good
background to work on. We'l lnow go & book something

Pete, York.
Old September 6th 03, 12:57 AM
John Owens

Try Andorra for great tuition , and in English
--
John Owens

Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk
"Pete Dowling" wrote in message
om...
Hi - does anybody have any recommendations on good European family
resorts please ?
Parents have skied before, 6-year old never skied (but he's very
keen!) - we'd like a resort which has minimum transfer time, and an
operator who is flexible with childcare ie. we want child ski lessons
in the morning & we ski as a family in the afternoon.
Accom. type - not important, but preferably half-board.
Deliberately limited to European destinations. And not DIY 'cos we
want the child-club.

Please, I'd like any suggestions / experiences of operators 'cos I
can't find any message boards discussing such things (other than Ski
Club GB where I have cross-posted this request).

Thanks, Pete.

Old September 6th 03, 01:03 AM
John Owens

"Ace" wrote in message

Plus, and this is probably the most important point, bottom-posting
_is_ the de-facto norm on this, and most other newsgroups, so it's a
question of common courtesy to stick to the same standards. It makes
it much easier for everyone if all posts are made in the same way.

snipped

Then nag them to snip properly, rather than complaining about having
to bottom-post like the rest of the world :-}

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)

Can't somebody just nag Bill Gates ?

Microsoft packages are the default. They default to top posting (and are a
pain if you are oriented towards the bottom).

Are you old enough to remember Citroen cars when they were individualistic
?
The rest of the world had self cancelling indicators a decade or so before
them.

However in the world of newsgroups the rest of the world is out of step
with the Ford of its market, i.e. Microsoft.
A strange conflict

--
John Owens

Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk

Old September 6th 03, 07:10 AM
Ace

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 01:03:42 +0000 (UTC), "John Owens"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .

snipped

Then nag them to snip properly, rather than complaining about having
to bottom-post like the rest of the world :-}

Can't somebody just nag Bill Gates ?

Microsoft packages are the default. They default to top posting (and are a
pain if you are oriented towards the bottom).

So do most other newsreaders. It's the best way, IMO, as you then
scroll down adding your own comments where appropriate and trimming
everything that's not relvant.

However in the world of newsgroups the rest of the world is out of step
with the Ford of its market, i.e. Microsoft.

Well no. As I say, it's not actually down to OE at all, but is just a
case of user education. I don't normally go on about it, but there
seem to have been a spate of morons who not only bottom-post but argue
vehemently that it's the way it should be done.

But it should stop around now, as I gather schools are back this
week/next week.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old September 6th 03, 10:30 AM
Colin Irvine

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:10:55 +0200, Ace wrote:

Well no. As I say, it's not actually down to OE at all, but is just a
case of user education. I don't normally go on about it, but there
seem to have been a spate of morons who not only bottom-post but argue
vehemently that it's the way it should be done.

Count me in!

--
Colin Irvine
Old September 6th 03, 11:11 AM
Ace

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 11:30:22 +0100, Colin Irvine
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:10:55 +0200, Ace wrote:

Well no. As I say, it's not actually down to OE at all, but is just a
case of user education. I don't normally go on about it, but there
seem to have been a spate of morons who not only bottom-post but argue
vehemently that it's the way it should be done.

Count me in!

Err, top-post, I meant, of course. Idiot.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old September 9th 03, 05:23 AM
Charlie

(Pete Dowling) wrote in message . com...
Hi - does anybody have any recommendations on good European family
resorts please ?
Parents have skied before, 6-year old never skied (but he's very
keen!) - we'd like a resort which has minimum transfer time, and an
operator who is flexible with childcare ie. we want child ski lessons
in the morning & we ski as a family in the afternoon.
Accom. type - not important, but preferably half-board.
Deliberately limited to European destinations. And not DIY 'cos we
want the child-club.

Please, I'd like any suggestions / experiences of operators 'cos I
can't find any message boards discussing such things (other than Ski
Club GB where I have cross-posted this request).

Thanks, Pete.

Hi Pete,

Cath and I have just moved out to Montriond with our children. Our
accommodation includes several well appointed self catered apartments
with views across the valley.

We are just one hours drive from Geneva with excellent access via
Ardent to the snow sure slopes above Avoriaz.

A creche/child club operates just below the bubble at Ardent (very
handy for return visits)and the Britsh Alpine Ski School offers
outstanding tution for both you (They will always pick up on
something!) and your son.

As we are on location we can arrange everything in advance, including
insurance, ski passes, tuition and childcare.

OK - it's a DIY of sorts, but you still have all the facilities with
the greatest flexibility - Something we have always appreciated when
skiing as a family!

Apologies for the big plug but this is our first year and I would be
interested to know if people think this is a worthy service to
provide.

Cheers
Charlie
Alpine Safaris - Self catered Apartments in the French Alps
http://www.alpinesafaris.com