Did Running Make My feet Smarter?

Old March 9th 11, 05:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
EdV[_2_]

Default Did Running Make My feet Smarter?

I rediscovered running this summer and kept running through the autumn
and winter. I have been pleasantly surprised to find I have better
balance and coordination when I ski. Makes me enjoy my running even
more.

I can tell from looking at my legs that they are more defined and I
guess by extension stronger but the increased coordination and balance
still comes as a surprise.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

EdV
Old March 13th 11, 12:08 PM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdV[_2_] View Post
I rediscovered running this summer and kept running through the autumn
and winter. I have been pleasantly surprised to find I have better
balance and coordination when I ski. Makes me enjoy my running even
more.

I can tell from looking at my legs that they are more defined and I
guess by extension stronger but the increased coordination and balance
still comes as a surprise.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

EdV
I have similar experience. Last year I made the definate switch to midfoot landing. This not only solved an injury that seemed certain to cripple me for life (severe over-pronation causing horrific pains), but also made me a much more lightfooted, faster runner. Crippled in the summer (insoles worked for a moment, but ceased to work as feet grew even weaker from them), I found myself rubbing elboys with talented young mid-distance runners on the track. I am faster on my feet htan I ever was. In the strength of my life at 19, I never got under 45mins over 10km, and now did a 5km in 18:00, while weighing 6kg more than 15 years ago.
On snow (I am a skater), I found I just barely ever crashed anymore. Not on rare home snow, not on Austrian snow. Only when I got tired from days of skiing, and then looking to improve my technique, crashes came.
In the National XC races which I took part in, I was glad to notice that my classic speed had improved despite never doing it. Had not even done a single hill bounding session all year. Got a silver medaille 40, although that was more to be thanked to semi-frequent push-up tests (and no strength work other than that).
I feel that the midfoot running opens the ankle angle. Toes can come closer to the nose, due to stretched achilles/calfes. This seems to have improve my fore/far and lateral balance greatly. I had very few street skating sessions to attribute that to.

I read that I should pick up running to become a skier, and I still finding new reasons as to why.
Old March 19th 11, 11:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ben Kaufman

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 10:37:52 -0800 (PST), EdV wrote:

I rediscovered running this summer and kept running through the autumn
and winter. I have been pleasantly surprised to find I have better
balance and coordination when I ski. Makes me enjoy my running even
more.

I can tell from looking at my legs that they are more defined and I
guess by extension stronger but the increased coordination and balance
still comes as a surprise.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

EdV

For sure, and especially if you were not doing any type of locomotive exercise.

Ben

The snowguns are up and running... Walt Alpine Skiing 4 October 5th 07 02:26 PM
Running a Ski Chalet Stokesy European Ski Resorts 15 December 15th 05 04:44 PM
running 32 degrees Nordic Skiing 7 March 7th 04 12:16 AM
Fwd: Running in x/c ski tracks? Hank Garretson Nordic Skiing 10 November 29th 03 11:04 AM
Running or Cycling Bob Creasote Nordic Skiing 8 August 20th 03 03:54 AM