Which pole straps for pavement?

Old March 15th 11, 01:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Larry

Default Which pole straps for pavement?

On pavement, my experience has been much better with conventional
straps rather than wrap-arounds. Seems that my wrap-arounds allow the
pole to twist so that the tip is no longer pointed at the pavement
with it sharpest edge, causing the pole to slip. This is my biggest
gripe, although there are other things - for example, conventional
straps feel much more comfortable during free skate (arms in front),
whereas wrap-arounds seem to "shackle" the wrist even though I keep
them pretty loose. Plus the ease of getting in/out.

What's your experience?
Old March 15th 11, 06:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 06:15:10 -0700 (PDT)
Larry wrote:

On pavement, my experience has been much better with conventional
straps rather than wrap-arounds. Seems that my wrap-arounds allow the
pole to twist so that the tip is no longer pointed at the pavement
with it sharpest edge, causing the pole to slip. This is my biggest
gripe, although there are other things - for example, conventional
straps feel much more comfortable during free skate (arms in front),
whereas wrap-arounds seem to "shackle" the wrist even though I keep
them pretty loose. Plus the ease of getting in/out.

What's your experience?

My first thought is to wonder if you're using heavy poles, i.e., heavy
enough to cause twisting. What are yours?

For me, the strap problem, especially with the Swix Pro Straps, has been
repeated hand and wrist injuries - frozen (trigger) finger (fourth) and
de Quervains Tenosynovitis. Multiple cortisone shots and rest/rehabs.
I just switched on snow to the One Way straps and will see this summer
how they do on pavement.

Gene