Ski area stasis

Old December 13th 11, 03:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

Default Ski area stasis

On Dec 12, 8:33*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
Digging around in a box of old ski maps I found a "Development Plan"
drawing for Bear Mountain from 89 or so, before Bear Mountain was
acquired by Snow Summit. *The plan shows several lifts that have never
been added, the most interesting being a long lift into the bowl of
the valley between Chairs 4 and 8 linked with other lifts up to the
ridge line. *Also shown was a lift just west of the current layout,
the top next to Chair 9's top and the bottom behind Outlaw, so it
would have been the closest approach to Snow Summit's trails.

I'm guessing the whole plan was defeated by financial or environmental
restrictions. *The SS GM stated after the merger that he could never
link the two areas directly because of spotted owl habitat in the
gully between them.

Hey, since you're digging around, could you provide the blow off email
SPD sent you?
I think you should share. You've been so thoroughly humiliated a
little more humiliation won't hurt.
Contact info? Show the email, Dickless.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old December 13th 11, 05:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 12/12/2011 08:33 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

I'm guessing the whole plan was defeated by financial or environmental
restrictions. The SS GM stated after the merger that he could never
link the two areas directly because of spotted owl habitat in the
gully between them.

They make mighty good eatin' if you stuff 'em with pupfish.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Life is actually fair. It just doesn't seem to be common

Old December 13th 11, 01:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 20:33:54 -0800 (PST), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

I'm guessing the whole plan was defeated by financial or environmental
restrictions. The SS GM stated after the merger that he could never
link the two areas directly because of spotted owl habitat in the
gully between them.

Just shoot the spotted owls and the problem goes away.

Merry Christmas everyone. God bless us all.
Old December 13th 11, 01:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:22:42 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

On 12/12/2011 08:33 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

I'm guessing the whole plan was defeated by financial or environmental
restrictions. The SS GM stated after the merger that he could never
link the two areas directly because of spotted owl habitat in the
gully between them.

They make mighty good eatin' if you stuff 'em with pupfish.

How true. They taste just like California condors.

Merry Christmas everyone. God bless us all.
Old December 13th 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

wrote this crap:
On 12/12/2011 08:33 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

I'm guessing the whole plan was defeated by financial or environmental
restrictions. The SS GM stated after the merger that he could never
link the two areas directly because of spotted owl habitat in the
gully between them.

They make mighty good eatin' if you stuff 'em with pupfish.

How true. They taste just like California condors.

What do you think we had for Thanksgiving?

Last I heard they kidnapped them from the Condor Sanctuary in Los Padres
NF, which is still off-limits to motorcyclists because it's a Condor
Sanctuary. They repatriated some from the condor breeding center in San
diego, but the birds were shot, ate lead-shot-filled carcasses, drank
antifreeze and were electrocuted by power lines. This apparently killed
the local repatriation effort, so they were shipped to the Grand Canyon
instead and are apparently thriving. Does this make them Arizona Condors?

I like condors. I'm not at all bothered by the fact that they're
scavengers, although the one we had for Thanksgiving was farm-raised and
free of off-flavors.

--
Cheers, Bev
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old December 13th 11, 07:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:23:37 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

They make mighty good eatin' if you stuff 'em with pupfish.

How true. They taste just like California condors.

What do you think we had for Thanksgiving?

Last I heard they kidnapped them from the Condor Sanctuary in Los Padres
NF, which is still off-limits to motorcyclists because it's a Condor
Sanctuary. They repatriated some from the condor breeding center in San
diego, but the birds were shot, ate lead-shot-filled carcasses, drank
antifreeze and were electrocuted by power lines. This apparently killed
the local repatriation effort, so they were shipped to the Grand Canyon
instead and are apparently thriving. Does this make them Arizona Condors?

Not at all.

I like condors. I'm not at all bothered by the fact that they're
scavengers, although the one we had for Thanksgiving was farm-raised and
free of off-flavors.

How was the stuffing? Hungarians make stuffing from the giblets. The
livers are prized for the extra flavor.

Merry Christmas everyone. God bless us all.
Old December 13th 11, 09:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

*wrote this crap:
[...]

They are doing quite well in the wild - over 100 in California (some
moved on their own as far north as Big Sur) and 70 near the Grand
Canyon, plus a new small population in Baja. In the mid-8s, I was
camping at the mountain-top campground near the old Mount Able ski
area (two rope tows, lodge and parking lot at the top) when one flew
overhead. I first thought it was a hang-glider, until it passed close
enough to see the feather pattern.

Now if the F&WS will follow up on their success and gather up all the
spotted owls from the Big Bear area and move then into a captive
breeding program, we can get on with building the connecting lifts.
Old December 14th 11, 05:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 12/13/2011 02:29 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

wrote this crap:
[...]

If they didn't want them to die from environmental problems (guns,
anti-freeze, etc.) they might have thought of dropping dead sheep in
convenient places. Or maybe the animals the pounds have to kill.

In the mid-8s, I was
camping at the mountain-top campground near the old Mount Able ski

?? Never heard of it.

area (two rope tows, lodge and parking lot at the top) when one flew
overhead. I first thought it was a hang-glider, until it passed close
enough to see the feather pattern.

That's slick. Long ago we stopped at the Official Condor Watching Point
and didn't see a single one. Hawks are pretty good, though. Easily
distinguishable from pigeons.

Around here we have flocks of parrots who love the red magnolia seeds
which are plentiful now. Unfortunately, probably a good 1/4 of the crop
is being hauled off to wherever thay take broken tree parts so they
better gorge themselves while they can.

Now if the F&WS will follow up on their success and gather up all the
spotted owls from the Big Bear area and move then into a captive
breeding program, we can get on with building the connecting lifts.

Excellent idea. OTOH, maybe they're too hard to catch.

Old December 14th 11, 05:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

* * *wrote this crap:
[...]

?? *Never heard of it.

[...]

The condor rescue people say they are feeding them "stillborn dairy
cattle" (I wonder what the supply of that is) so they will stay in the
safe nesting areas.

Mt. Able is also known as Cerro Noroeste, and is just west of Mt.
Pinos, which is west of Frazier Park, where the Denny's is just off
I-5 on top of the grapevine. There is a paved road all the way to the
top, and a dry campground with a dozen or so sites.

Old December 14th 11, 06:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 12/13/2011 10:27 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

The condor rescue people say they are feeding them "stillborn dairy
cattle" (I wonder what the supply of that is)

Otherwise known as veal. Kind of expensive for carrion-eaters.

so they will stay in the safe nesting areas.

Mt. Able is also known as Cerro Noroeste, and is just west of Mt.
Pinos, which is west of Frazier Park, where the Denny's is just off
I-5 on top of the grapevine. There is a paved road all the way to the
top, and a dry campground with a dozen or so sites.

I know where that is. We used to ride motorcycles from Hungry Valley up
into the mountains (sometimes Frazier Mountain, sometimes toward the
south). Husband and son rode their pedalbikes from Pasadena to Frazier
Park once.

Probably going to SS again Thursday.

--
Cheers, Bev