aging stats

Old October 30th 03, 10:45 PM
DF

Default aging stats

Just read (and heard on the radio, simultaneously, through an odd
coincidence) about Economist Ray Fair's formulas to calculate effects
of age on marathon times. Article is at
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/28/he...4c576b8ea923c0

and Fair's original piece is linked from his web site -
http://fairmodel.econ.yale.edu/rayfair/marath.htm

I'm curious about thoughts as to how closely the pattern holds for xc,
esp. given role of technique.

Another unrelated Q...since posting here for the first time about 4
days ago, I've got about 10 virus-infected e-mails addressed to the
posting address (which I use for nothing else)...is this normal?
Also, what program do people use to create addresses like
?

tyvm
Derick
Old October 31st 03, 02:36 AM
Jim Farrell

DF wrote:

Another unrelated Q...since posting here for the first time about 4
days ago, I've got about 10 virus-infected e-mails addressed to the
posting address (which I use for nothing else)...is this normal?

Derick

I'm fending off 20 or more a day ... all huge file attachments.

Old October 31st 03, 04:02 AM
Ken Roberts

Default many virus - spam - file attachments (was aging stats)

Does the virus problem seem to be only from posting to this newsgroup?

Or did you also post to other newsgroups at about the same time?

The same thing happened to me in the last month or two. First one of my
Email addresses got those 20 Emails a day with huge file attachments. So I
got another new Email address, and almost immediately after I started
posting to this newsgroup and others, that started having the same problem.

After that I got another Email account and finally started mangling the
return address -- this seemed to solve the problem -- but it was a shame to
see two Email accounts get disabled first.

If this problem only occurs with this newsgroup and not others, I've got a
definite suspicion about what's causing it.

what program do people use to create addresses like

I just use my regular Email program. You just have to figure out how to
tell it to use an address for newsgroups which is different from your
default Email. I have not heard of a PC-based Email program which couldn't
change that address setting.

Ken

Old October 31st 03, 04:17 AM
Ken Roberts

I think the ideas in that article
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/28/health/28RUN.html
show promise for feeling good about maintaining the sense of challenge even
as measured finish times get slower.

Interesting the NYC runners club is now calculating age-adjusted finish
times for the NYC marathon.

I'm curious about thoughts as to how closely
the pattern holds for xc, esp. given role of technique.

In addition to technique, I think there's three other factors that make it
tricky to use the same ratios for XC ski races:

(1) different snow conditions from year to year. (just need to get
Professor Fair working on yet another adjustment factor)

(2) a key limiter for Running performance is injuries

(3) another key factor for XC skiing is specificity and quality of
off-season training. Big gains are possible here due to learning from
experience, and from the more flexible work-life schedules that some obtain
in later years.

Runners get less advantage from (3), because it's easier to get a
good-quality specific workout in wet weather and darkness, and because the
risk of injury puts a limit on the total number of hours that can be used
effectively.

Ken

Old October 31st 03, 09:36 AM
Terje Mathisen

DF wrote:

Just read (and heard on the radio, simultaneously, through an odd
coincidence) about Economist Ray Fair's formulas to calculate effects
of age on marathon times. Article is at
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/28/he...4c576b8ea923c0

and Fair's original piece is linked from his web site -
http://fairmodel.econ.yale.edu/rayfair/marath.htm

I'm curious about thoughts as to how closely the pattern holds for xc,
esp. given role of technique.

Another unrelated Q...since posting here for the first time about 4
days ago, I've got about 10 virus-infected e-mails addressed to the
posting address (which I use for nothing else)...is this normal?
Also, what program do people use to create addresses like
?

Check out the description of how SWEN/Sobig.F works, there's a good
article on the F-Secure home page.

Executive summary:

On any infected machine which has a configured news server, the virus
will download a random set of recent posts in a random set of
newsgroups, then parse those postings to come up with email addresses to
forward the virus to.

Terje

PS. I have gotten more than a GB of such emails since august, which
makes it totally impossible to get my mail unless I'm on a fast &
unmetered connection. :-(

--
-

Old November 1st 03, 12:44 AM
George Cleveland

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 05:02:48 GMT, "Ken Roberts"
wrote:

[...]

Whoever is behind the virus loaded MSN Update emails does seem to use Usenet
groups to harvest their email addies. On the upside my ISP has obviously figured
out how to block them as I went from dozens every day down to zero in the last 3
weeks.

g.c.
Old November 4th 03, 10:55 AM
Guido

"George Cleveland" writes:
Whoever is behind the virus loaded MSN Update emails does seem to use

Usenet
groups to harvest their email addies. On the upside my ISP has obviously

figured
out how to block them as I went from dozens every day down to zero in the

last 3
weeks.

And others will want to check with their ISP to set filters to easily block
and delete such contaminated files. Check with your ISP's homepage.

General SPAM, however, is another issue. And yes, it all preys upon usenet
groups among other sources for email addresses.

Old November 4th 03, 09:56 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, taywood wrote:

Of more concern to me, I'm getting the same stuff but it doesnt
have my email address on it. So how did the mail server know to
send it to me and should I be asking the ISP this?
Or am I being naive?
Mike

What you see in the "To:" header is NOT what mail systems use to
route and deliver the message.

The simple analogy is to think of sending a paper letter via snail
mail. First you write your letter on a piece of paper. At the
top of the page you put your return address and your addressee's
address. (At least you do this for a formal business letter.)

When you're done writing you fold it up, put it inside an envelope,
and seal it. Then you write the return address and addressee address
on the outside of the envelope. The post office only looks at what's
on the envelope. What you wrote inside could be completely different
but the letter will still go where you addressed it on the envelope.

E-mail is the same way. There are "envelope" from and to addresses
and there are "From:" and "To:" headers in the contents of the
message. What you see in your mail reader are the latter. The
envelope addresses are not always even visible to the recipient.
Sometimes you can find the "envelope from" address in a header called
"Return-path:". Sometimes you can find the "envelope to" address
buried in one or more of the "Received:" headers.

Probably more than you wanted to know.

-Mitch

Old November 6th 03, 12:40 AM
Pete Hickey

In article ,
taywood wrote:

"Guido" wrote in message
"George Cleveland" writes:
Whoever is behind the virus loaded MSN Update emails does seem to use

Usenet
groups to harvest their email addies.

Not 'whoever', but the worm thing itself. many of the newer things
'watch' what you are doing on the net, and harvest addresses
from web pages and other things that you read. Most likely, some
innocent victim with an infected machine, reading this newsgroup is
sending the virus out to posters.

Of more concern to me, I'm getting the same stuff but it doesnt
have my email address on it. So how did the mail server know to
send it to me and should I be asking the ISP this?
Or am I being naive?

The To: field in an email is pretty much meangingless. It can
have anything in it, and still be sent to you. Similar to paper
mail, there is an envelope (which you don't really see), and
the paper in the envelope. The paper within may say 'Dear Joe'
but the envelope could have that sent to mike.

OT: Ground covered with ice/snow this morning, but pretty
much gone now.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 81% of North Americans cannot
taste the difference between fried dog and fried cat?