Check engine code reader

Old December 10th 11, 08:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Check engine code reader

It looks like OBD2 readout devices have gotten very cheap and many
include expanded code translation data even troubleshooting hints.
However, there are just too many. Does anyone have a suggestion for
best value?
Old December 10th 11, 09:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Richard Henry wrote:
It looks like OBD2 readout devices have gotten very cheap and many
include expanded code translation data even troubleshooting hints.
However, there are just too many. Does anyone have a suggestion for
best value?

They cover the general can bus stuff that conforms to the open source
when a manufacturer has customized one of the inputs sensors it has
issues. Some times one tool covers a range different than one other.

There is a recorder for about 100 bucks and you can select what you want
to watch it is a little bigger than a connector and you connect it to
your pc to download and configure. Great to stick in a kids cars and
monitor speed and rpm.

You need to see what the shop mechanics are using in Ca on your car, a
company that provided monitoring and adjustment tools for your ecu and
was ordered by Ca and EPA not to sell the product as it allowed you to
by pass emission rules. It was stated it was just for off road and non
street vehicles ie race cars in all the documentation.

I find that the hand held tools do not log enough unless you get into
the 3 to 5 thousand dollar one. I was having strange electrical issues
my last year with the truck and nothing showed on the scanner and
nothing showed on the 5000$ one when it was having a fit the heated
seats would just cycle on.

Old December 10th 11, 11:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 10, 2:50*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
It looks like OBD2 readout devices have gotten very cheap and many
include expanded code translation data even troubleshooting hints.
However, there are just too many. *Does anyone have a suggestion for
best value?

I go to my dealership and they read them for me for free.
Old December 11th 11, 12:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

pigo wrote:
On Dec 10, 2:50 pm, Richard wrote:
It looks like OBD2 readout devices have gotten very cheap and many
include expanded code translation data even troubleshooting hints.
However, there are just too many. Does anyone have a suggestion for
best value?

I go to my dealership and they read them for me for free.

Ya but when you are away at a ski mountain you can read the code and
make the decision to drive home or nearest dealership.
Some times it nice to be able to clear codes such as when you do not
tighten the gas cap wife and it throws an emissions error.
Old December 11th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 10, 4:28*pm, pigo wrote:
On Dec 10, 2:50*pm, Richard Henry wrote:

It looks like OBD2 readout devices have gotten very cheap and many
include expanded code translation data even troubleshooting hints.
However, there are just too many. *Does anyone have a suggestion for
best value?

I go to my dealership and they read them for me for free.

I found a little reader at Harbor Freight for $60, and they gave me a
coupon good for 25% off, but not until New Years Day. Then on the way
home my check engine light went off.

Old December 11th 11, 02:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/10/2011 04:28 PM, pigo wrote:

On Dec 10, 2:50 pm, Richard wrote:
It looks like OBD2 readout devices have gotten very cheap and many
include expanded code translation data even troubleshooting hints.
However, there are just too many. Does anyone have a suggestion
for best value?

I go to my dealership and they read them for me for free.

I had Pep Boys try to read mine, and the guy said he had no confidence
in the result (1988 Caddy) because the car was so old, and what he
found made no sense to either of us. I'll have the GOOD mechanic
check it when I go in for my smog cert in May -- I really NEVER want
to visit my friendly local crim^H^H^H^Hdealer.

My '94 Caravan is OBD1. Not at all compatible with the new cheap readers AFAICT.

Old December 11th 11, 05:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 10, 7:52*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/10/2011 04:28 PM, pigo wrote:

On Dec 10, 2:50 pm, Richard *wrote:
*It looks like OBD2 readout devices have gotten very cheap and many
*include expanded code translation data even troubleshooting hints.
*However, there are just too many. *Does anyone have a suggestion
*for best value?

I go to my dealership and they read them for me for free.

I had Pep Boys try to read mine, and the guy said he had no confidence
in the result (1988 Caddy) because the car was so old, and what he
found made no sense to either of us. *I'll have the GOOD mechanic
check it when I go in for my smog cert in May -- I really NEVER want
to visit my friendly local crim^H^H^H^Hdealer.

My '94 Caravan is OBD1. Not at all compatible with the new cheap readers AFAICT.

The OBD2 standard is required for all US made and US imported cars
starting with 96 modle year (can you tell I have googling and
wikipedaing?) My pickup is 96 and has the standard connector under
the dash next to the steering column.
Old December 11th 11, 04:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 10, 6:32*pm, down_hill wrote:

Ya but when you are away at a ski mountain you can read the code and
make the decision to drive home or nearest dealership.
Some times it nice to be able to clear codes such as when you do not
tighten the gas cap wife and it throws an emissions error.

I've gotten the gas cap "check engine" light. I just tighten the cap
and it goes away in about 10 minutes.

I didn't mean that there aren't reasons to have the device. Just that
mine goes off so infrequently that I don't need it and that when it
does I let professionals handle everything above opening the hood,
looking for something obvious, or changing an air filter.

Old December 11th 11, 04:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

The Real Bev wrote:
On 12/10/2011 04:28 PM, pigo wrote:

On Dec 10, 2:50 pm, Richard wrote:
It looks like OBD2 readout devices have gotten very cheap and many
include expanded code translation data even troubleshooting hints.
However, there are just too many. Does anyone have a suggestion for
best value?

I go to my dealership and they read them for me for free.

I had Pep Boys try to read mine, and the guy said he had no confidence
in the result (1988 Caddy) because the car was so old, and what he found
made no sense to either of us. I'll have the GOOD mechanic check it when
I go in for my smog cert in May -- I really NEVER want to visit my
friendly local crim^H^H^H^Hdealer.

There are supplemental manuals out for where to check when x car throws
a odd code. Often it comes down to what the mechanic specializes in, and
it is just a tool. Often to trouble shoot an issue you need other tools
and then the most important place to look is the battery you drop the
voltage during starting and you will toss many weird error code issues
none which will point to real problem.
I spend much time chasing complex issues in race cars only for it all to
be related to a bad battery.
The hand held units are useful if you build a base line before you start
to have an issue, such as a mechanic might have every tool in the word
but does he know how to use them? It takes practice just like skiing.
Old December 11th 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

pigo wrote:
On Dec 10, 6:32 pm, wrote:

Ya but when you are away at a ski mountain you can read the code and
make the decision to drive home or nearest dealership.
Some times it nice to be able to clear codes such as when you do not
tighten the gas capwife and it throws an emissions error.

I've gotten the gas cap "check engine" light. I just tighten the cap
and it goes away in about 10 minutes.

I didn't mean that there aren't reasons to have the device. Just that
mine goes off so infrequently that I don't need it and that when it
does I let professionals handle everything above opening the hood,
looking for something obvious, or changing an air filter.

One of the problems I find is much like any of the trades the numbers
are not there and the level of skill is not there either.
One of my drivers owns a dealership the dealership mechanics do not
touch the race car they do work to beat the flat rate time they take
short cuts to save time not increase quality.

To me peace of mind knowing what the issue is is worth the cost of item,
but I also use it in my work showroom stock and have two or three other
can capture devices. And looking at one that works like a packet sniffer
and can be used to sort out custom devices.

Bosch has a real good book on this stuff and it is available in
individual sections Automotive Electrics Automotive Electronics 5th
edition Wiley publisher 2007 I suspect they will have a new edition soon
so these will have a price drop.

news reader with kill file JQ[_2_] Alpine Skiing 27 December 27th 09 03:32 AM
Usenet News Reader DZN Alpine Skiing 4 June 12th 09 05:45 AM
XC dress code Jan Gerrit Klok Nordic Skiing 26 December 11th 06 12:23 PM
*NEW* - European Travel Search Engine Encyclopedia Touristica European Ski Resorts 11 April 4th 04 02:09 PM
News Reader services Dave Kiely Nordic Skiing 8 January 26th 04 03:04 PM