XC near NH, MA coastline?

Old November 2nd 03, 07:54 PM
Joseph Santaniello

Default XC near NH, MA coastline?

Why coastal NH?

I'm from Brooklyn, but I have lived the last several years in Norway.
Most of my family lives in Worcester MA. It's sort of a shame that my
mother never gets to see her grandkids, and I'd like to be a little
closer. ( a lot closer).

The problem is I am completely hooked on 2 sports: sailing, and XC
skiing. Where I live now I have both. Sailing from May to October, and
XC skiing from November to March. I have a pretty nice setup now where
it takes 30 minutes to drive to work, or on nice summer days 40 minutes
by boat (not the sailboat. I use a small outboard dinghy.) since I live
right by the sea, and the office is next to a marina.

During the core winter months when I can ski right out of my door, I go
every night classic style for an hour or so before I go to bed. 2 or 3
times a week I drive inland 40 minutes to an area with lots of skate
trails.

Trying to find a place somewhat close to Worcester, by the ocean, and
with as good XC as possible narrowed the selection quite a bit. I have
actually never been to the coast of NH. I've been inland, though.
Sailing on lakes is fun, but I prefer the open ocean. I'm not some kind
of high-roller or anything, it's a 35 year old 21' day-sailer I have. So
prices will of course play a big roll in the actual area I end up in,
but it seems to me that pretty much everywhere usually has the full
spectrum of prices available. It's just what you get for the money that
changes from area to area.

I have tried to get my mom to move here, but no dice. ;-)

Joseph

Old November 3rd 03, 03:43 PM
Kevin Whitham

On 10/30/03 13:30, "
wrote:

_ The season runs something like this

November - Maybe if nature cooperates, and Waterville Valley
might have some trails open with man made snow.

December - Likely in the White mountains, a crap shoot
elsewhere. Some year's great other's a brown Xmas.

January - Definitely.

February - Definitely, often a week of very frigid weather.

March - First couple weeks okay, Late month skiing possible,
particularly if a late storm hits.

April - Tuckerman's or freak weather.

The season at Prospect Mountain in southern Vermont is typically from
Thanksgiving till Easter (ie, November to April). This year we've had 4
days of preseason skiing already in October.

Andrea
Prospect Mtn.
Woodford, VT

Old November 3rd 03, 06:56 PM

Old November 3rd 03, 07:22 PM
Joseph Santaniello

_ I figured the sailing thing. Take my advise, if you sail you
want live next to the coast. There's a sailable seabreeze every
day, Lake Winnipesaukee can be dead for weeks at a time. You
might also think about going a bit further north into
Maine. There's more chance of skiing and housing may be a bit
more reasonable, the problem is a job. Portland is a pretty nice
little city, but that may be too far away from Worcester.

I'm going to be "tele-commuting" to my job in Norway (I'm a programmer)
so I'm pretty flexible. How far do you reckon in 'real-world' distance/
time Portland is from Worcester?

Old November 3rd 03, 07:54 PM
Rob Bradlee

_ I figured the sailing thing. Take my advise, if you sail you
want live next to the coast. There's a sailable seabreeze every
day, Lake Winnipesaukee can be dead for weeks at a time. You
might also think about going a bit further north into
Maine. There's more chance of skiing and housing may be a bit
more reasonable, the problem is a job. Portland is a pretty nice
little city, but that may be too far away from Worcester.

_ Booker C. Bense

Booker is right about sailing. The ocean is the best by far. I'd
suggest someplace like Andover MA (or any towns within 20 miles of
that). Great rollerskiing, 30 minutes to the shore, an hour to
Worcester, and an hour or two to great skiing up north. And 40 minutes
to Weston for the Tuesday night races in Jan and Feb!. YOu could keep
your boat in Beverly, Marblehead, or Swampscott. You are going to pay
a huge price for a house and have to drive to everything. This ain't
Norway (by a long shot).

Good luck!
Rob Bradlee
Reading MA

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old November 3rd 03, 08:41 PM
John Skewes

XC from the Seacoast.
Well we are dedicated Skaters and live near Exeter. Last year we
enjoyed Mike's river run in Durham a couple times and it is a joy.
That is all that is nearby though. I do not like any of the White
Mountain Valley ski areas. It is way too much of a madhouse. The NH
SKI 93 program is a little to successful, all of Boston is on the road
there and traffic can SUCK. We prefer Trapp Family Lodge and Mansfield
XC center. They both have great elevation change, great snow and great
grooming.
Windblown CX www.windblownxc.com/ near Mt. Monadnock in the western
side of the state is a terrific place - they do not have endless
terrain but the snow, the grooming, the elevation change and trail
work makes it an A-list place for us.
Also in the Hanover area, Oak Hill - where last years NCAA's were held
is a very challenging ski. Watch the Dartmouth Collage Ski Team site
to see when it is open.
I am not a big fan of Norsk in New London, too many trails, not enough
good grooming.
All the places that I have mentioned above are within 1 1/2 or 2 1/2
hours from the seacoast. You need to work on a flop house somewhere in
the North Country.

Enjoy.

Joseph Santaniello wrote in message ...
Hello All,

I am considering moving to be closer to my family. I am thinking about
somewhere along the coast between Boston, MA and Portsmouth, NH. Also
maybe somewhere south of Boston.

The problem is I need XC skiing, boating, and cycling to be ready at
hand. I have become spoiled by my current location (Tjøme, Norway) where
I drive an extra 15 minutes to go skiing before or after work during the
winter, and sometimes commute by boat or bike during the summer. I will
be working from home, so I am pretty flexible about location.

So the question is, how far from Portsmouth does one have to go for
prepared trails suitable for skating? And how long does the season last?
What about areas in MA?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Joseph

Old November 3rd 03, 08:45 PM
Rob Bradlee

I'm going to be "tele-commuting" to my job in Norway (I'm a
programmer)
so I'm pretty flexible. How far do you reckon in 'real-world'
distance/
time Portland is from Worcester?

Count on 3 hours.

=====

Old November 3rd 03, 10:08 PM
Guido

"Joseph Santaniello" continues:
I'm going to be "tele-commuting" to my job in Norway (I'm a programmer)
so I'm pretty flexible. How far do you reckon in 'real-world' distance/
time Portland is from Worcester?

As you've surmised, family in Worcester and ocean sailing will require
compromising one or the other --- to which do you intend the longest
commute?

Portland allows you to avoid the eastern MA madness (and increasingly, the
southern NH madness) on our roadways. Everyone seems to own a third home in
ski country, giving Friday evenings a commuter appearance throughout the ski
season.

Couldn't sail Lake Champlain and live happily ever after in Burlington, VT
could you? I could.

Old November 4th 03, 05:35 PM