Dumb Question Two: TMA's walking punch

Old December 31st 12, 09:50 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.skiing.alpine,rec.sport.boxing
Mark T

Default Dumb Question Two: TMA's walking punch

On Dec 29, "nemo_outis" wrote:
In addition, this falling 'gravity' punch can be done
without lifting the lead leg, by merely unweighting
(dropping) that leg. *This is an advanced version,
which requires precise muscular sync; 'fall' and punch.

The unweighting of the front leg (with attendant body
drop/pitching forward) is a major element used to generate the
power in the 1-inch punch of Chinese martial arts. *It is
slightly less powerful than Dempsey's falling-step power jab
because it does not result in as much forward displacement of
the body as a step does, and because there is little to no
rear-leg thrust in the Chinese short-punch version.

The Chinese 1-inch-punch version uses an instant
voluntary 'buckling-type' unweighting of the front leg.

Indeed.
I might add for physics or ski geeks,
this 'down unweight' is also a downhill ski
technique. Details left as an exercise for the student -

The Dempsey version (when done right) is performed by
instantly *lifting up* the weighted left foot and letting the
body pitch forward (augmented, if desired, with a thrust from
the rear leg). *The subsequent 'slapping-down' of the lead
foot in a forward step is just to arrest the pitching-forward
(i.e., catching the fall) that the instant removal of the lead
foot causes (and, for that reason, the lead punch must land
**before/as** - NOT after - the foot-slap step lands). *The
rear leg is shuffled forward immediately after the completion
of the blow/falling-step to recover the standard width of
one's stance.

The Dempsey version is done with instant *up unweighting* of
the weighted lead foot - NOT with any preliminary pushdown of
the left foot or any weight transfer (no
matter how small or fleeting) to the back leg to *free* or
*unweight* the front leg for the step. *No, just *instantly
lift* the weighted front leg up and let yourself 'fall'
forward, with your punch landing just as you are about to
'recover' from your pitching-forward by slapping down the left
foot.

And this 'up unweight' is another ski tech, complementary
to the down.

Mark
Old December 31st 12, 11:22 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.skiing.alpine,rec.sport.boxing
nemo_outis

Mark T wrote in

oups.com:

On Dec 29, "nemo_outis" wrote:

Indeed.
I might add for physics or ski geeks,
this 'down unweight' is also a downhill ski
technique. Details left as an exercise for the student -

This and more is discussed especially well in Joubert's "Skiing:
An Art, a Technique" A little long in the tooth now (1980) but
still one of the best presentations of body mechanics, forces,
etc. as they apply to (any) sport. Much discussion of up-
unweighting, down unweighting, avalement, etc. That book is one
of my treasures.

Regards,

PS My first company (1980 or so) was called Telemark Systems
because I didn't know if I would make any money as an
independent consulting engineer or would wind up spending all my
time skiing. Sadly, I was very successful as a consultant
(expanding my bank account and waistline) and so my skiing never
quite reached the level of my brother (who 'farmed' - shall we
say - in the summer and skiied all winter. Made way more money
than I did too :-)

PPS I am a very good skier (downhill, telemark & x-country) but
my younger brother is *unbelievably good* (literally Warren
Miller movie good). Even at age 55 he was skiing couloirs on
Mount Blanc, etc. (His only concession to 'old knees' is that
he no longer does 75-foot free-fall drop-ins to icy chutes. But
there's nothing he can't ski.)

When he was on ski patrol he used to take loaded toboggans down
the mogulled double-black-diamond runs in his telemark gear.
Impressive! But not as impressive as seeing him boogeying full
blast down such a bump run on the teles. Back then his quads
had a 'double-chin' of muscle that overlapped his kneecaps - 100
single-leg squats were easy.

But now that he's older (66) he has started to wimp out and do
more on ordinary downhill skis rather than the teles. Even gets
a touch of arthritis now and then. Ah, the ravages of old age
:-(

Old December 31st 12, 11:37 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.skiing.alpine,rec.sport.boxing
lal_truckee

On 12/31/12 4:22 PM, nemo_outis wrote:
But now that he's older (66) he has started to wimp out and do
more on ordinary downhill skis rather than the teles. Even gets
a touch of arthritis now and then. Ah, the ravages of old age

Cut it out. 65 isn't old.
Old January 1st 13, 02:10 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.skiing.alpine,rec.sport.boxing
nemo_outis

lal_truckee wrote in
:

On 12/31/12 4:22 PM, nemo_outis wrote:
But now that he's older (66) he has started to wimp out
and do more on ordinary downhill skis rather than the
teles. Even gets a touch of arthritis now and then. Ah,
the ravages of old age

Cut it out. 65 isn't old.

Let's call it 'late youth' then :-)

Regards,
Old January 1st 13, 03:18 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.skiing.alpine,rec.sport.boxing
Richard Henry

On Dec 31, 7:10*pm, "nemo_outis" wrote:
lal_truckee wrote :

On 12/31/12 4:22 PM, nemo_outis wrote:
But now that he's older (66) he has started to wimp out
and do more on ordinary downhill skis rather than the
teles. Even gets a touch of arthritis now and then. *Ah,
the ravages of old age

Cut it out. 65 isn't old.

Let's call it 'late youth' then :-)

Regards,

I wish in my second youth I had the eyes and legs I had in the first
one.
Old January 1st 13, 04:09 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.skiing.alpine,rec.sport.boxing
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 12/31/2012 04:22 PM, nemo_outis wrote:

When he was on ski patrol he used to take loaded toboggans down
the mogulled double-black-diamond runs in his telemark gear.
Impressive! But not as impressive as seeing him boogeying full
blast down such a bump run on the teles.

Did anyone ask his passengers what they thought of the trip? I chose
'fast' for my one trip down the hill. Bad mistake.

Back then his quads
had a 'double-chin' of muscle that overlapped his kneecaps - 100
single-leg squats were easy.

Jesus. THAT is impressive.

But now that he's older (66) he has started to wimp out and do
more on ordinary downhill skis rather than the teles. Even gets
a touch of arthritis now and then. Ah, the ravages of old age
:-(

I figure time in the gym will arrest the progress. So far, so good.

--
Cheers, Bev
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo
Old January 1st 13, 04:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

lal_truckee wrote :

On 12/31/12 4:22 PM, nemo_outis wrote:

But now that he's older (66) he has started to wimp out

and do more on ordinary downhill skis rather than the

teles. Even gets a touch of arthritis now and then. *Ah,

the ravages of old age

Cut it out. 65 isn't old.

Let's call it 'late youth' then :-)

Regards,

I wish in my second youth I had the eyes and legs I had in the first

one.

I wish in your second youth that you had a conscience, manhood, and honor.
I wish in your second youth that you would post the contact info of the Seattle Police Department Officer you lied to, when you claimed he was going to investigate, charge, and convict me of calling you a cowardly, stalking liar.
Did you lie to the cops over a stupid newsgroup in your "first youth", too?
Contact info?
Old January 1st 13, 05:38 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.skiing.alpine,rec.sport.boxing
nemo_outis

Richard Henry wrote in

oups.com:

I wish in my second youth I had the eyes and legs I had in
the first one.

Si jeunesse savait, si vieillesse pouvait!
[If youth only knew, if age only could!]

Regards,

Old January 1st 13, 06:21 AM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.skiing.alpine,rec.sport.boxing
nemo_outis

The Real Bev wrote in
:

But now that he's older (66) he has started to wimp out
and do more on ordinary downhill skis rather than the
teles. Even gets a touch of arthritis now and then. Ah,
the ravages of old age
:-(

I figure time in the gym will arrest the progress. So far,
so good.

I remember the first long run my brother and I ever took on X-
country skis. It was in the Laurentians north of Montreal
back in 62 or 63.

This really pretty girl - Robby - a year or two older than us,
said she would teach us how. She took us on something like a
15-mile run which was way too long for rank beginners like us
(we'd only fooled around on skis for a hour or two
previously). ...especially since she was on proper gear while
we were on heavy borrowed 1940s clunkers.

We floundered along as best we could while keeping up with
her, sweating like pigs. Then came the killer. We reached
the turnaround point, a wonderful little auberge, and she
suggested we have something to drink. Great, we thought,
we're up for a hot toddy or at least a strong coffee (nobody
cared about legal drinking age back then in Quebec).

But, noooo - that isn't what she meant. Instead my brother
and I had to gather wood and build a fire so she could brew
some tea - all this only 100 yards from that marvellous
auberge. After our sweating labors I was so cold from that
stop that I thought my kidneys were going to crawl into my
armpits to get some warmth.

We concluded she was trying to crush our nuts with her
'feminismo' so we decided to show her some 'machismo'. We
said, "We're going to speed up a little on the way back to
stay warm". We then proceeded go as fast as we could on the
return leg - even if it killed us. We were unskilled but we
were young, fit, and strong, and the testosterone was flowing.

We got back to the McGill skiclub about 10 minutes before her.
Our legs were completely trashed - we could barely stand. But
we agreed to do one last bit of machismo to rub it in.

When she came is she said something like, "You guys did pretty
good - but aren't you tired?" We said, "Nah!" and then
together we dropped down and did 50 pushups (our arms were OK
even if our legs were ruined - and we knew we had to do the
showing-off before our bodies totally seized up). Then we sat
back smugly (knowing that the next day we would be so crippled
we could hardly walk, but she'd never find that out and would
remain convinced we were 'iron men')

****, the stuff we did back then just to impress a pretty girl
who really didn't care if we lived or died :-)

Regards,

Old January 1st 13, 04:21 PM posted to rec.martial-arts,rec.skiing.alpine,rec.sport.boxing
lal_truckee

On 12/31/12 10:38 PM, nemo_outis wrote:
Si jeunesse savait, si vieillesse pouvait! [If youth only knew, if
age only could!]

And the moral comes from R. Crumb as orchestrated by The Dead:

Keep On Trucking.