big feet == wide board?

Old November 25th 05, 01:47 PM

Default big feet == wide board?

Hi Guys,
I've got reasonably large feet (UK 12). I'm wondering is it worth me
getting a wide board? Is it usually possible to rent these? Do you
generally have to ask specifically for them?

Cheers...

Tom
Old November 25th 05, 06:21 PM

nobody wrote:
Hi Guys,
I've got reasonably large feet (UK 12). I'm wondering is it worth me
getting a wide board? Is it usually possible to rent these? Do you
generally have to ask specifically for them?

Cheers...

Tom

Ya... UK 12 is about US 13 so you definitely want a wide board. I
think something at least 26cm wide in the middle for you. If you get a
normal width board you'll find your boot sticking out too much and touch
the snow when you're on edge (I'm assuming you don't ride with extreme
angles). I haven't rented before but I'm guessing from my friend's
experience that you can get wide boards at rental places now. You can
usually tell if a rental place is good or not by seeing if they give the
right equipment. In your case, you'll need a wide and possibly longer
(assuming that you're +6ft tall). If they give you a board that doesn't
fit your frame, ask them for one or get the hell out of there.

Stu
Old November 27th 05, 12:40 AM

I have ridden the same board for the past ten years with my size 13
(us) and with board width of 26.67cm at the bindings it has been
alright. I ride pretty aggressive and haven't noticed a big problem
with toe or heel drag. I recently upgrraded my bindings (Nidecker
pro800) and they sit a tad higher than my previous K2 bargain bins that
were on the board the previous 9years. With the K2s sitting closer to
the deck I got a little toe drag but only on steep ice when edging
hard. Never been a fan of wide persay but if you really want to have
fun in the pow and never ever worry bout toe drag get a wide other
wise, a regular board with similar measurments to mine should be
ok...but boots can affect this, some have more toe rise to prevent
this. I ride Salomon Dialogues and they are awesome!!!

Old November 27th 05, 01:10 AM

...and dont' forget you can always adjust your binding angles so your
13's fit into a narrower board. You become an alpine rider, not fakie
monkey, but you still ride pow, hardpack, carve, and land jumps, thos
the last can be tough on your knees with positive alpine stances.
My size 11's, I ride boards waist widths from 21 to 26.2, depending
what the conditions are and what I'm doing. Of course, riding my old
FacPrimes at 19, I'd need 60/45 stances with really high snowpro plate
bindings.
Lately been sticking with soft boots and 27/7 stances.

Old November 28th 05, 04:46 PM

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:21:05 -0500, Waco Paco
wrote:

nobody wrote:
Hi Guys,
I've got reasonably large feet (UK 12). I'm wondering is it worth me
getting a wide board? Is it usually possible to rent these? Do you
generally have to ask specifically for them?

Cheers...

Tom

Ya... UK 12 is about US 13 so you definitely want a wide board. I
think something at least 26cm wide in the middle for you. If you get a
normal width board you'll find your boot sticking out too much and touch
the snow when you're on edge

Or he could give these things a try?

http://www.snowandrock.com/brands/Pa...ucts/BUSEJ.htm

They sit between board and binding to lift you slightly higher off the
board.

andyt

Old November 28th 05, 05:00 PM

Ya... UK 12 is about US 13 so you definitely want a wide board. I
think something at least 26cm wide in the middle for you. If you get a
normal width board you'll find your boot sticking out too much and touch
the snow when you're on edge

Or he could give these things a try?

http://www.snowandrock.com/brands/Pa...ucts/BUSEJ.htm

They sit between board and binding to lift you slightly higher off the
board.

Both are valid options. I personally don't like risers under soft boots,
others love 'em. If you're going to go without risers, I find it very
likley that you will need more than 26 cm of waist width with a UK12 boot,
unless you use a really, really side stance. (Wider stance = feet over
wider part of board)

My 26cm waisted Donek wide 161 w/ my size 26 MP (US Men's 8) Salomon
Malamutes mounted at 24/15 and a 19.25" stance width gives me 3/8" overhang
on all four corners, if I orient my binding disks across the board and
center the boots. Assuming your boots have a similar profile, and you use
similar angles and stance width, you'd most likely have about 1.25 - 1.5" of
overhang on each end of each boot which would generally cause boot-out when
you get up on edge. Now, relize that each if the variables that I've
mentioned affects overhang and boot-out... along with boot profile.

Mike T

advice on board? Mario Snowboarding 10 January 11th 05 12:00 AM
Scott Aurora Board and big feet Julian Snowboarding 2 November 23rd 04 12:13 PM
Need a new wide board - Burton Bullet? Matt Snowboarding 4 May 13th 04 08:29 PM
Donek Wide too "fast" a board for me? Johnny1 Snowboarding 18 December 6th 03 06:19 AM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 05:22 PM