what was 'the New Skate' ?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 17th 03, 06:58 AM
Janne G

Default what was 'the New Skate' ?

Ken Roberts wrote:

I guess it can be hard for skiers outside North America to see why there was
any need for a "new skate".

;-)
Janne G wrote
The only thing new in skating over the years that i have seen
is the development of (V2, 3 gear, double dance) skating tech
to be the dominant tech

I notice you avoid mentioning any significant change in V1 (offset, paddle
dance).

Ok, if we goes back as far as the beginning of the 90's then there have been a
gradual progress of honing the techs to perfection but not any clear cut other
than the (V2, 3 gear, double dance) break through as the dominant tech used.
Other tehcs just have been adjusted to use the muscles that been developed by
the dominant use of V2. Maybe we can say that the stoped use of "marathon skate"
is a clear cut also.....
I think that the "to be or not to be" "knee nose toe" discussion is comming
from the dominant use of V2 which in it self change the posture of the working
body and by that change the movment equation a little. What's right and whats
wrong
in that discussion i don't dear to elaborate on

I for my own say the same as Thomas Ahlsgaard said "just do it" with the diff that
you should try to experiment with all variants of tech that there are and find
whats working for you.

It's the same about DoublePush in inline skating, everybody says that they know
whats best, but the best in my opinion is variation of tech that suits the
situation
right at that moment. We all have to try what suits us in various situations,
what's
working for some don't have to work for you. Experimenting and experience is the
key
to the perfect tech.

--

Forward in all directions