Classic poles for "New Skate" technique?

Old September 22nd 03, 02:00 AM
Bruce Toien

Default Classic poles for "New Skate" technique?

According to what I learned at the Mt. Bachelor masters XC ski camp last
May, I've changed my roller-ski skate technique to a generally more compact,
in-close, low-down poling configuration. I guess that's the "New Skate"(?)
Anyway, I've found that my skate poles are too long for this new technique
and that my classic poles are just right! With winter just around the
corner (we already got snowed this month at the 6000' level on Mt. Adams) I
will be interested to see how the classic poles work for skate technique on
snow. Has anyone had a similar experience?

- Bruce Toien
Sherwood, Oregon

Old September 22nd 03, 04:12 PM
Matt Morency

I would think that shorter poles would lead to a lower body position,
which is what it seems like you have adapted. My advice would be if
it works for you do it. I am sure some of the more technically
proficient in the group will provide more scientific analysis,
hopefully with video clips illustrating their points.
--Matt

Old September 22nd 03, 07:05 PM
J999w

I skated the Birkie with my classic poles back in '86 or so.

The cycle is becomming complete ... short poles - long poles - short poles.

I predict, in 3 years, we will be sanding bases again !

:^]

jw
milwaukee
Old September 24th 03, 01:46 AM
Ken Roberts

To me this sounds like good reporting of what I'd guess often happens when
someone tries using longer poles without having trained regularly with them.

It feels awkward and less effective. Because it _is_ less effective -- and
could cause injury if not done carefully: Forcing muscles and joints to
work in a larger range of motion than what they're currently trained for.

But there's some other critical questions:

-- Which length of poles is more effective _after_ months (or at least
weeks) of careful progressive training with them?

-- Which length is better for different situations? hilly versus flat,
slow snow versus fast, sprint versus distance

-- Which pole length makes you go faster as _measured_ on a controlled
time-trial course? (versus which _feels_ like "more powerful" or "less
energy needed"?

Fortunately I can reveal the answers in advance:
(1) it's tricky to sort out.
(2) it depends.

Ken

Old September 24th 03, 09:10 AM
Laurent Duparchy

After two years of skating with extra long poles, I Cut them by 2 cms
last years and just had another 2cm cut lately...
I think I'm at the chin or just below now.

I had extra long poles for a better final push. I had been too much
enthousiastic by extra light poles. At first I thought that you can
have them a little bit longer for better biomechanic pushs, by
maintaining them with an angle. In the long run I think I had lost the
optimal pace. Or did I just aged ?

It's difficult to maintain the required angle to extra long poles.
Soon you'll raise your hip, upper body and arms too much. This is
waste of energy and time, especially uphill.
What made me have new thoughts about it, was a precedent thread where
someone pointed out that upper body motion of ice skaters and rollers
is almost null. The only reason we have a body raise is for better
pole push.
So we have to get the best from the arms AND legs without wasting
energy and allow some relaxation (see the "be relaxed" thread).

Another bad things about too long poles in races is that others racers
behind you tend to "walk" on them and break them... This add another
area of attention and waste of psychic energy. Many XC skaters just
don't know how to draft properly. BTW, the same applies to long skis.

The question of pole measurement remains. Could we establish some
rules like measure WITH boots and skis, on snow (or equivalent..) no
rollerski. And check the "Attach" placement (not the pole top). I
propose to give a name like BSSB (Boot-Ski-Snow-Attach) so everybody
wil talk about the same thing.
Another idea is to measure Basket (not sure of the english name) to
Attach (BTA) length.

Laurent
Old September 24th 03, 01:58 PM
Jim Farrell

Laurent Duparchy wrote:

The question of pole measurement remains. Could we establish some
rules

Laurent

We had a long thread (last year) about pole length measurement. With
the basket and grips attached, stand on a hard surface with your ski
boots on (or put the tips on the top of the ski NOT into the snow) and
measure against your body. Racing classic poles should come to the top
of the humorus (upper arm bone) --- some variation for taste and terrain
about the length. Skate poles about 10cm longer.

Jim

Old September 26th 03, 05:30 PM
Serge

I read the thread, grabbed my wife's so-so carbon poles (they fit me just
under a chin) and put carbide tips on.

This is so much better!
I can sit low and my hands are passing just at the knee while poling.

I don't know why we had such a big fuss over longer poles?
I even put 1/2" risers in grips of my "snow" poles-stupid.

I guess men always want everything bigger and longer.

It is not the size that matters but how long you can ski with that pole
(no hidden sense intended).
Old September 27th 03, 04:02 PM
Rob Bradlee

This is so much better!
I can sit low and my hands are passing just at the knee while poling.

You don't really want your hand going past your knee anymore.

Rob Bradlee