Pilot bindings on rollerskis

Old March 21st 11, 04:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Pilot bindings on rollerskis

I am about to order yet another pair of rollerskis. The company does
not have a Pilot rig so I will have to install the bindings myself.
Two questions:

1. Do you tap holes in the aluminum board and use bolts? Or do you use
Pilot stock screws and force them in sheet metal style, like you would
for snow skis, w/o tapping the holes? Do you use some sort of adhesive
to secure the screws? If I must tap the holes, can you recommend an
appropriate screw size/pitch? I have access to a fully equipped
metalworking machine shop with metric and inch taps.

2. Does anyone have used Pilot Equipe skating bindings for sale? Year
does not matter as long as they are functional (can be yellow/black/
gray). I figured I would ask before shelving out $99.00. No luck with
ebay. Contact me at runcyclexcskiNOSPAMPLEASE at gmail.
Old March 22nd 11, 03:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim[_3_]

For what it's worth, I've always found that aluminum is soft enough to
allow self tapping with the normal binding screws. I drill the pilot
hole at the recommended diameter and screw away, with no adhesive.
I've never had easy access to tapping equipment though or I might have
wanted to tap it. Still, it seems to have worked OK for me with no
tapping.
-Jim

Old March 24th 11, 10:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

wrote:
I am about to order yet another pair of rollerskis. The company does
not have a Pilot rig so I will have to install the bindings myself.
Two questions:

1. Do you tap holes in the aluminum board and use bolts? Or do you use
Pilot stock screws and force them in sheet metal style, like you would
for snow skis, w/o tapping the holes? Do you use some sort of adhesive
to secure the screws? If I must tap the holes, can you recommend an
appropriate screw size/pitch? I have access to a fully equipped
metalworking machine shop with metric and inch taps.

2. Does anyone have used Pilot Equipe skating bindings for sale? Year
does not matter as long as they are functional (can be yellow/black/
gray). I figured I would ask before shelving out $99.00. No luck with
ebay. Contact me at runcyclexcskiNOSPAMPLEASE at gmail.

OK. I will take a look how thick the Al frame on the new rollerskis
is, and based on that will decide whether to tap or not.
Old March 25th 11, 06:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Mar 25, 7:59*am, kskier wrote:
You should make sure the binding is square on the ski. Have you ever
mounted bindings on roller skis before? If not....it is very important
that you put your normal skate boot into the binding and then place it
on the roller ski. For skate bindings you should place the binding
with the boot on them so the boot is almost dead center of the roller
ski. For classic you should mount them towards the back of the ski, as
so the heel of the boot does not hit the rear bumper or wheel ,
depending on which type of roller ski you have purchased. If you go to
Jenex's web site,(V-2) they give exact distances for mounting the
binding depending on what size boot you have......and of course those
distances are for their roller skis, but will give give you a good
rule of thumb to go by. Once you have the binding situated, remove the
boot and make sure binding is square, mark holes, then use a center
punch, then drill a piolt hole, and then just use the standard binding
screws..........

I will probably push the bindings as far back as my size 11 boots
allow. The frames are 530 mm so they probably won't be "balananced"
anyway like snow skis are, simply due to the short length of the
frame The drilling will be done on a bridgeport milling machine, so
the squareness should be good to within 0.001", no eyeballing involved.