What are the most basic needs for XC?

Old November 13th 11, 06:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_2_]

Default What are the most basic needs for XC?

I am writing a short article for my local XC club newsletter, aimed at
new XC skiers (or maybe the guys just trying it for the first time
ever), about the basic equipment needed.

Things you need to have a good experience XC skiing:
(assumes little or no grooming, East coast kind of snow (ie; wettish)

The obvious things are;
skis
poles
boots
Clothing
Wipe on wax

Am I forgetting anything essential?

What kind of clothing can I suggest for a newbie? It does not seem
likely that they will buy a lot of XC specific gear..... what kind of
clothing will the average person have around that might be suitable?

Thanks
GR

Old November 13th 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

On 11/13/2011 12:08 AM, gr wrote:
I am writing a short article for my local XC club newsletter, aimed at
new XC skiers (or maybe the guys just trying it for the first time
ever), about the basic equipment needed.

Things you need to have a good experience XC skiing:
(assumes little or no grooming, East coast kind of snow (ie; wettish)

The obvious things are;
skis
poles
boots
Clothing
Wipe on wax

Am I forgetting anything essential?

What kind of clothing can I suggest for a newbie? It does not seem
likely that they will buy a lot of XC specific gear..... what kind of
clothing will the average person have around that might be suitable?

Thanks
GR

Running/Cycling tights. We have kids on our team
that cut costs by just buying the team top and
pairing it with the running tights they already
own.

Give them a generic warning about cotton. Cotton
long johns are extinct, fortunately.

The rear pockets of a cycling jersey will hold
a water bottle and food, and keep them from
freezing.

Bob Schwartz
Old November 13th 11, 08:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Gary,

I think the following sources will help in piecing together your
article:
- xcskiworld.com
- http://www.rideandglide.org/
- http://www.a2skiclub.org/nordicski.htm

Gene

Old November 13th 11, 11:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
dardruba[_2_]

I think an a brief explanation about the need for wax would be
beneficial at this early stage.
I've seen so many newbies thrutching about on hire skis in the Scottish
forests over the years. They generally have good walking clothing
suitable for the winter season and then a weekend parttimer hires them
skis, boots and poles with a statement that 'if you can walk you can
ski' but has no time to explain to them the basics of grip and glide.

-

Old November 16th 11, 03:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gr[_4_]

wrote:

I am writing a short article for my local XC club newsletter, aimed
at new XC skiers (or maybe the guys just trying it for the first time
ever), about the basic equipment needed.

Things you need to have a good experience XC skiing:
(assumes little or no grooming, East coast kind of snow (ie; wettish)

The obvious things are;
skis
poles
boots
Clothing
Wipe on wax

Am I forgetting anything essential?

What kind of clothing can I suggest for a newbie? It does not seem
likely that they will buy a lot of XC specific gear..... what kind of
clothing will the average person have around that might be suitable?

Thanks
GR

In this neck of the woods (upstate NY) the new skiers always start with
fishscale skis, largely because we have quite variable temperatures and
snow types. So, grip wax would not be useful to newbies, but glide and
wax to stop icing would be great for them to know about.

This is a chance to mention one of my favorite products; Start Grip
tape. I would not be using waxable skis, except for this stuff. It is so
durable and has such a wide temperature range, and most importantly;
does not have to be messed with each time I go skiing , that it deserves
high praise.
GR
Old November 22nd 11, 01:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
outsideinmi

Things you need to have a good experience XC skiing:
(assumes little or no grooming, East coast kind of snow (ie; wettish)

The obvious things are;
skis
poles
boots
Clothing
Wipe on wax

Am I forgetting anything essential?

How about a positive attitude? I remember switching from running (where I
was a fairly elite racer in my local area) to skiing and being beaten by
teenage girls, old men, and nearly everyone in between until I learned how
much technique can make/break you. You have to stick with skiing for at
LEAST one season before you will be anywhere near competent. Then another
2-3 years to be as "fast" as you are when running.

Old November 22nd 11, 09:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

outsideinmi wrote:
How about a positive attitude? I remember switching from running (where I
was a fairly elite racer in my local area) to skiing and being beaten by
teenage girls, old men, and nearly everyone in between until I learned how
much technique can make/break you. You have to stick with skiing for at
LEAST one season before you will be anywhere near competent. Then another
2-3 years to be as "fast" as you are when running.

Expertise takes 10+ years/10 K hours of systematic training, i.e. just
like any other complicated activity. :-)

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no