question about balance / jumping

Old January 13th 09, 01:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
sonic

Default question about balance / jumping

hello,
i am trying to figure out what to tweak, to get perfect balance while
jumping. For some reason when i jump (im goofy) my rear foot starts
coming
to the front making me land out of balance with the board not
straight,
but tilted sideways a little.

i've been boarding for 9 years and feel comfortable getting down any
slope, but i feel the need to always carve.. whenever i ride flat
forward,
seems like my rear foot tries to go forward putting me off balance.
this
becomes a lot more obvious when i hit a jump. seems like my body is
trying
to straighten it self to face forward instead of sideways...

i am thinking maybe its my bindings angle.. currently they're at a
small
outward angle \ / .. evenly distributed at about 10 on the little
dial.

Old January 13th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

sonic wrote:

i've been boarding for 9 years and feel comfortable getting down any
slope, but i feel the need to always carve..

Most riders today use the term "carve" to mean a turn of any sort. Are
your turns actually carves, ie does the back edge follow in the exact
same path as the front edge, leaving a narrow track in the snow?

The reason I ask is because you say:

whenever i ride flat forward,
seems like my rear foot tries to go forward putting me off balance.

which makes me think you are twisting your upper body forward quite a
bit. If your upper body is twisted in relation to the lower, you will
tend to skid turns especially on heelside.

You want to have your body generally aligned with your bindings. This
keeps you neutral on the board both while turning and in the air.

becomes a lot more obvious when i hit a jump. seems like my body is
trying to straighten it self to face forward instead of sideways...

It's a natural thing to want to face forward. If you've got your torso
twisted to the front, that will make it worse.

i am thinking maybe its my bindings angle.. currently they're at a
small
outward angle \ / .. evenly distributed at about 10 on the little
dial.

So you're riding what we call duck stance. The "10" means 10 degrees of
angle.

If you mostly just turn and don't spend time in the park, you might
consider switching to more forward stance ie where both feet are angled
forwards.

Neil
Old January 24th 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lxdnz

On Jan 14, 2:22*am, sonic wrote:
[...]

You should always feel comfortable where you're feet are angled with
your bindings, if you've been riding for 9 years it'll feel weird if
you change the angles.
You will be turning in the air because of your upper body position. If
you rotate your shoulders forward your lower body will follow (natural
law of body physics). Try to keep them still when jumping and your
legs will stay still too. Better yet, bend your knees up to your
chest, grab tindy and you wont be landing 90 to scorpion in no time.
If that still gives you trouble get a lesson, instructors know best.
I've been riding 15+ years and I still get lessons to iron out the
kinks check out http://snowboardlesson.blogspot.com for more tips