Schattie loses it on E-bay

Old February 23rd 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Default Schattie loses it on E-bay

On Feb 23, 7:27 am, Vincent Walker wrote:
On 2/21/07 9:58 PM, in article ,

"lal_truckee" wrote:
Clarencedarrow wrote:

By the way how does a ski bum living in a parking lot get to think
he's a man of substance?

Have you a better measure than successfully managing a few years as a
ski bum?

Raising a family including providing adequate shelter, health care and
education
Managing a Business, Hospital, Career, etc. etc.
Working as volunteer in any number of capacities
Paying fair share of taxes
Being a productive citizen, basically.
Being a responsible driver

To be honest, that was about the most insane rationalization I've seen yet
on this site. This whole conversation is bizarre by any rational standard. I
saw that "Powder" article about the ski bums in the woods. I'm sorry, I see
no glamour or worth in that life-style. Personal Hygiene is important to me.
If either my kids adopted the life styles of this Davis character, we'd have
a REAL long talk but fortunately they understand the concept of social and
personal responsibility.

I will agree, that considering all the bizarre things that I've read
coming out of FF's mouth, Jeff's rationalization is remarkably nuts.
The "Down with Society, Up with ski-bummery" fantasy is an incredibly
infantile fantasy that most skiers abandon when they realize the
reality of that kind of life...no matter how much they love skiing. I
saw that Powder article too. It's a situation of "good for them...I
guess. But no thanks, not for me". Those people are unaccomplished,
lonely pieces of ****...despite any claims to the contrary.

Old February 23rd 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo

"lal_truckee" wrote:
Clarencedarrow wrote:

[...]

lonely pieces of ****...despite any claims to the contrary.- Hide quoted text -

While I agree with the general flow of the thread. I must slip in a
"yeah butt". I skied a hundred days a year for twenty years or so.
That qualifies me as a ski bum I think. But during that time I built
many houses for other people, bought and sold a few myself, served up
many a cocktail for thirsty vacationers and did countless other "good
things". I pay my own way. I never spawned, but that isn't a measure
of worth. Name me _any_ animal no matter how simple that doesn't do
that. Humans are special for their ability NOT to.

So just because the subject of the tread is a joke let's not apply
that too freely to everyone that works at what they love.

Old February 23rd 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

"lal_truckee" wrote:
Clarencedarrow wrote:

[...]

that too freely to everyone that works at what they love.- Hide quoted text -

LoL...awww cmon generalizations and stereotypes keep the fun going !

Old February 23rd 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

"lal_truckee" wrote:
Clarencedarrow wrote:

[...]

LoL...awww cmon generalizations and stereotypes keep the fun going !- Hide quoted text -

I'm planning on being a ski bum in a few years myself (8? 10?). I'll
have to get a mountain place big enough to be comfortable but small
enough that my kids won't want to use it as the base for their ski bum
lives.