Help! Need advice on best fit skis for me - first time skier but quick learner

Old September 13th 05, 01:13 PM
Walt

bdubya wrote:

On 12 Sep 2005 19:03:55 -0700, "GeckoDisciple" wrote:

was thinking about salomon performa boots, but I know I'll like the
sport..who doesn't? besides I need outdoor activities to do during the
winter. Randonee?? Come'on people help me! I'm 6'2" 190. I'm a road
warrior race cyclist, mountain biker, fisherman, hiker, rafter, and
golfer in the summer and a ????? in winter. I want to grow into an easy
to ride but technical pair of skis. The Salomon 10s hot or pocket
rockets are what I am leaning towards atm. Thanks.

Will you prefer something that's got a wider waist for better
floatation, or narrower? A deep sidecut, or a shallower one? Wide
shovel and tail, or wide shovel and narrow tail? Do you like short
turns, or long? Groomers or bumps? Do you prefer a well-damped ski,
or a lively one? Maybe just a full-on fat powder ski?

I think he wants red ones. Everybody knows that red skis go faster than
the others.

...make up your own mind instead of trusting to some
magazine reviews and some loons on usenet.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

//Walt
Old September 13th 05, 03:39 PM
lal_truckee

GeckoDisciple wrote:
and it'll be cheaper then too. Thanks man. Just can't see myself
spending $40/day renting skis is all. Would rather buy a really good
pair for $3-400 and own them.

The point is: Really Good Skis start at $1200-$1400, not $300-400.

$300-$400 is junker package priced skis from a "sporting goods store."
Since Really Good Skis cost the price of a decent used car the thing to
do is 1) find out what you really want by trying a bunch which means
rentals, and 2) learn your way around skis to where you know which pair
at the garage sell is Really Good Skis with lots of life left priced at
$40 and which is the junker pair priced at $40.

Skiing is cheap if you learn your way around; and incredibly expensive
if you set out to enhance the profit margin of the industry. (And for a
sport to call itself an "industry" just shows that they've lost their
way IMO; we skiers have to make our own way since the "industry" has
abdicated.)
Old September 13th 05, 03:54 PM
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
GeckoDisciple wrote:

and it'll be cheaper then too. Thanks man. Just can't see myself
spending $40/day renting skis is all. Would rather buy a really good
pair for $3-400 and own them.

The point is: Really Good Skis start at $1200-$1400, not $300-400.

Well, not quite. Really Good (new) Skis start at about $350 to $400.
But that's last season's overstocks without bindings. And you have to
time your purchase to when the market hits bottom (i.e. summer). And
know what you're looking for.

But Lal's right that if you just go into the store at the height of the
season and get this season's ski/binding package, you're looking at
four figures for a pair of Really Good Skis. (Which may be identical to
last season's Really Good Skis except for some changes in the top-skin
graphics.)

$300-$400 is junker package priced skis from a "sporting goods store."
Since Really Good Skis cost the price of a decent used car the thing to
do is 1) find out what you really want by trying a bunch which means
rentals, and 2) learn your way around skis to where you know which pair
at the garage sell is Really Good Skis with lots of life left priced at
$40 and which is the junker pair priced at $40.

Skiing is cheap if you learn your way around; and incredibly expensive
if you set out to enhance the profit margin of the industry.

Choir.

//Walt
Old September 13th 05, 05:30 PM
bumpfreaq

Hey Gecko,

BW's advice is spot on. I would advise you to spend your budget on
good boots this year. Have them worked on by an experienced boot
fitter probably several times before, during and/or after your first
bunch of days on the slopes. Keep going back until they are truly
comfortable.

As for skis, demo a bunch of them before you buy.

However, I know where you're coming from. I like to buy stuff too, and
renting multiple skis can be a hassle. So if you want, I'll sell you
my Pocket Rockets with Marker Titanium 1200 bindings for $350. They've
been my main boards for three years and I've loved them. I've been on
them roughly 70 days and I do mean roughly. They've got their fair
share of top sheet damage, but the bases are in great shape and
they've got plenty of life in them.

I've found them to be great in trees, crud and powder, a lot of fun in
the bumps and in the park. They're stable enough on groomers to go
faster than 95% of all the other peeps on the mountain. They do suck
on ice though. I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend them to a beginner
with a high level of athletic ability.

I accept Paypal. Whataya say?

Chris

Old September 14th 05, 01:31 AM
GeckoDisciple

Thanks fo all your replies..Ima check out those GSs. Thanks.

Old September 14th 05, 01:40 AM
GeckoDisciple

So you mean the Atomic GS 11? Looks about what I'm looking for when
going through the matrix at the Atomic website. I doubt a resort would
have these skis for rent, so I'd probably have to buy them. Thanks.

Old September 14th 05, 02:31 AM
Walt

GeckoDisciple wrote:
So you mean the Atomic GS 11? Looks about what I'm looking for when
going through the matrix at the Atomic website. I doubt a resort would
have these skis for rent, so I'd probably have to buy them. Thanks.

At the normal tourist rental counter? Probably not. All they usually
have there is floppity noodles and bedroom slippers.

But the demo center should have the top of the line skis. Make sure
you go to the right counter.

--
// Walt
//

Old September 14th 05, 02:51 AM
JQ

"GeckoDisciple" wrote in message
oups.com...
So you mean the Atomic GS 11? Looks about what I'm looking for when
going through the matrix at the Atomic website. I doubt a resort would
have these skis for rent, so I'd probably have to buy them. Thanks.

If you are as you state a first time skier, you need to start on beginner
skis to learn how to handle the skis and all the balance that goes along
with it. Can you roller or inline skate and if so how good are you? If you
can not or never skated then don't think you will jump on a pair of skis and
be able to get down the mountain safely. There is a lot of things in skiing
that seems to be the opposite of what you want to do. You are best advised
to buy a mid level skis to start with, to master all the many different
maneuvers that it takes to ski safely and in control. A ski that is for an
advance skier will be way to stiff for you as a beginner and will not be
forgiving for any mistakes you will make as a beginner.
You will be able to go as fast as you want to on a mid level ski so don't
worry that you will not be able to go fast enough. Be smart and you will
enjoy skiing much more and lower the chances of injury to yourself and those
around you. Out of control skiers and boarders are a great danger to
everyone on the trail with them.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old September 14th 05, 03:28 PM
bumpfreaq

GeckoDisciple wrote:
So you mean the Atomic GS 11? Looks about what I'm looking for when
going through the matrix at the Atomic website. I doubt a resort would
have these skis for rent, so I'd probably have to buy them. Thanks.

What is it they say about the eventual proximity of a person of
questionable wisdom and his finacial resources?

Chris

Old September 15th 05, 02:15 AM
GeckoDisciple

I don't have fanatical resources. I work hard for my money. I just want
a good ski.