Ski Education Foundations

Old March 21st 04, 09:16 PM
Hank Garretson

Default Ski Education Foundations

Help please. Here at Mammoth, we have about two-hundred kids in
cross-country ski programs ranging from gliders (elementary school) to high
school. We want to gather all the programs under a ski educational
foundation umbrella.

I solicit any help you might be able to offer: your experiences,
suggestions, mission or vision statements, codes of conduct, things to
avoid, what works good and why, fund raising and disbursing, tax-exempt
status issues, etcetera.

The kids thank you in advance.

Ski Exuberantly,

Hank

Mammoth Lakes, Calif.

Old March 22nd 04, 03:08 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

You might check with the Minneapolis Youth Ski League --
http://www.mysl.org/myslnews.html

Old March 22nd 04, 12:36 PM
Bob Maswick

(Hank Garretson) wrote in message ble.com...

school. We want to gather all the programs under a ski educational
foundation umbrella.
I solicit any help you might be able to offer:

Hank -

Here in Lake Placid, we have the NY Ski Education Foundation - NYSEF.
It is both alpine, nordic and nordic combined. Here's a link to the
nordic portion -

http://www.nysef.org/crosscountry.htm

Emily Cartwright ) is the nordic coach. Even
though I see her and the kids all the time, I really know little about
the program other than that they have launched a few stellar careers!

HTH,
- Bob
Old March 22nd 04, 02:55 PM
Marsh Jones

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
You might check with the Minneapolis Youth Ski League --
http://www.mysl.org/myslnews.html

Actually, that's Minnesota Youth Ski League!!!
but the URL is correct:-)
The MYSL may, or may not be a good model for what you are after. We are
an umbrella organization providing organization, communication,
insurance, and most importantly curriculum and leadership training to
our member clubs (currently 16, and about 1000 members total). The
copyrighted curriclum has taken several years to develop, and is focused
on learning thru games and fun drills. e.g. to teach an adult about
gliding on a ski, you talk about centering, balance, and all that good
stuff. To teach a kid, you have everyone take off ski and play 'scooter
tag'. Most adults tend to over-think the problem...

Marsh Jones
MYSL BOD member

w6sx@arrl.

Old March 22nd 04, 03:03 PM
Marsh Jones

Marsh Jones wrote:
I forgot to mention one or two other items relating to cost: We charge
each kid a flat $25/year. Our only other major fundraiser is the ski
swap, which generates enough income to keep some equipment and
scholarships in the bank. We also run a pair of ski trailers with 30-40
pairs of skis and boots, that are free to use by organizations and
schools for ski outings and programs.

Old March 22nd 04, 03:49 PM
Mark

Hank,

Far West Nordic does have some information and aid to start ski
education foundations, as does Auburn Ski Club. I noticed that you
haven't been a Far West Nordic member for a couple of years, even
though Far West is the organization in California that does the most
for youth ski oppportunities. Supporting Far West means you are
supporting kids like Cindy, Jen, Dayna, and the other Mammoth Junior
Olympians that get tons of aid from coaching and trip subsidies. You
should also check (if you haven't already) with Sally Jones at Auburn
Ski Club, because they are experts in the field of club teams in cross
country skiing.

Mark