Gatineau park condition?

Old March 18th 04, 04:14 AM
Mike Hui

Default Gatineau park condition?

Too lazy to use klister, I was skating on crushed ice last weekend.

I was really surprised to learn from the official gatineau park site just
now (March 17th) that the wax of the day is blue extra. Can anyway confirm
that? I would love to stride using hard wax this weekend?

.... Mike

Old March 18th 04, 12:47 PM
Darrel Newman

That is exactly what the website says. Amazing. It also said that about 2
days ago it had 3 cm of wet snow. Before that it was all Klisters.

Last Sunday I ventured to P19 and # 50 was all icy & crunchy etc. . At
about 2 km out there was a patch
where 90% of the parkway was all bare. I slipped off the icy bit into the
pavement. You can just what I did to my clothes, and skin.

I'll try P10 and Fortune Parkway this Sun as well.
--
Regards

Darrel Newman

6080 Ridgelea Place
Ottawa Ontario
Canada K1C 5P8
Cell 613-276-6294

Old March 18th 04, 02:00 PM
Chris Pella

I was skating last night (mar 17) and conditions are near perfect
except for a bare spot near the lookout. I skated from P10 up towards
the fire tower. As for classic, there were some sections where the
tracks appeared to be solid ice but other than that they looked pretty
good. There was another light dusting last night so I expect you could
get away with blue extra or Rode super blue. Or perhaps blue klister
covered with a layer of hard wax.
I got my fill of classic during the colder weather so skating is hard
to resist with these conditions.

Chris

Old March 18th 04, 07:49 PM
Tim Dudley

How far up did you go - past McKinstry?

Tim

on 18/3/04 09:00, Chris Pella wrote:

I was skating last night (mar 17) and conditions are near perfect
except for a bare spot near the lookout. I skated from P10 up towards
the fire tower. As for classic, there were some sections where the
tracks appeared to be solid ice but other than that they looked pretty
good. There was another light dusting last night so I expect you could
get away with blue extra or Rode super blue. Or perhaps blue klister
covered with a layer of hard wax.
I got my fill of classic during the colder weather so skating is hard
to resist with these conditions.

Chris

.cable.rogers.com...

Old March 18th 04, 10:22 PM
Chris Pella

Not past McKinstry... I'll save that for the weekend. Forecast looks pretty good.

Tim Dudley wrote in message ...
How far up did you go - past McKinstry?

Tim

on 18/3/04 09:00, Chris Pella wrote:

I was skating last night (mar 17) and conditions are near perfect
except for a bare spot near the lookout. I skated from P10 up towards
the fire tower. As for classic, there were some sections where the
tracks appeared to be solid ice but other than that they looked pretty
good. There was another light dusting last night so I expect you could
get away with blue extra or Rode super blue. Or perhaps blue klister
covered with a layer of hard wax.
I got my fill of classic during the colder weather so skating is hard
to resist with these conditions.

Chris

.cable.rogers.com...

Old March 18th 04, 11:15 PM
Darrel Newman

Thanks for the first hand report Chris.

You have given me the confidence to go out again complete with skinned knees
& elbows & torn x-c ski clothes.

--
Regards

Darrel Newman

6080 Ridgelea Place
Ottawa Ontario
Canada K1C 5P8
Cell 613-276-6294
Tel 613-837-4721
Email

www.flir.com

Old March 19th 04, 09:08 PM
Paul Bridges

Mike Hui wrote:

Too lazy to use klister, I was skating on crushed ice last weekend.

I was really surprised to learn from the official gatineau park site just
now (March 17th) that the wax of the day is blue extra. Can anyway confirm
that? I would love to stride using hard wax this weekend

Just back from the Gatineau, Classic from Asticou to Pink's Lake
using no-wax skis with glide wax on front & back, and Toko fleuro liquid
on the fish scales. Worked perfectly.
Conditions good or better except one or two small spots, small amount of
fresh snow. Skating looked very good. Very few skiers out.
Weather was perfect.

Beware of one or two pieces of gravel on the path back to the parking lot
that are difficult to avoid. Also the best track is the outside one going
towards
Pinks Lake.

Old March 19th 04, 11:37 PM
Deborah Watt

March 19 pm

Conditions: good spring skiing on Ridge Road and Fortune Parkway -
complete snow coverage all the way. Red wax was fine.

Old March 21st 04, 07:32 PM
Darrel Newman

I also just got back from the Gatineau Park

P10 - Fortune Parkway - #3 Burma - #20 - #18 - #2 to Western Hut.

Returned by #2 - 1B - 1 - Khyber Pass (just lovely) - Fortune Parkway - P10.

The snow was wet and felt heavy. Glide wasn't wonderful but good enough.

--
Regards

Darrel Newman