Big Bear trip report 1-24-10

Old January 25th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Big Bear trip report 1-24-10

Left at 4:30, about an hour too late, since we had to go around the
long way through the desert, deal with chaining up and the slow
driving with chains, plus the insane traffic from the chain stop
halfway up SR18 from the cement plant. The roads were passable, but
not clear - there was about a foot of hardpack and ice in most places,
with occasional bare spots and frequent holes.

I naively thought that no one was going because of the light crowds so
far this year, but they were there in big numbers yesterday. As it
was, we arrived slightly after 8:00 and got to park in the top lot,
but in about the next-to-last spot.

Snow coverage was complete enough to allow tree skiing anywhere.
However, the snow was deep (I put my pole into it to steady me on a
steep slope while I waited for a yardsale to clear below me, and it
went in all the way to my wrist) but not powder. I would classify it
as light but wet snow that had set up overnight. If you skied
straight, you stayed on the top surface, but with any disturbance,
such as turning, the skis would dive into unperdictable depth - the
type of snow that improves with grooming.

My son and I made another mistake - we tried out the intermountain
shuttle. Since the shuttle was running late (unavoidable with the
road conditions) it was difficult to predict when it would actually
depart (supposed to :00 and :30 from Snow Summit, and :15 and :45 from
BM). There is one vehicle and driver (19-passenger van) and it was
overloaded both ways with people left behind for the next trip.

The front road through Running Springs was supposedly open for the
afternoon, but we didn't want to get stuck in a 20-mile traffic jam,
so we chose the 5-mile one headed down to the desert. The Big Bear
radio station said that SR38 down to Redlands will be closed for a
long time, since there are deep drifts on the road that the local
snowplows are not adequate to handle. Maybe they can dig it all out
with front-end loaders.

Old January 28th 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_7_]

On 01/25/2010 04:45 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

The front road through Running Springs was supposedly open for the
afternoon, but we didn't want to get stuck in a 20-mile traffic jam,
so we chose the 5-mile one headed down to the desert. The Big Bear
radio station said that SR38 down to Redlands will be closed for a
long time, since there are deep drifts on the road that the local
snowplows are not adequate to handle. Maybe they can dig it all out
with front-end loaders.

Still, the worst day skiing is better than the best day at whatever, right?

I'm still sick. Maybe next week.

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land
Old January 28th 10, 03:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 27, 5:07*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
On 01/25/2010 04:45 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

The front road through Running Springs was supposedly open for the
afternoon, but we didn't want to get stuck in a 20-mile traffic jam,
so we chose the 5-mile one headed down to the desert. *The Big Bear
radio station said that SR38 down to Redlands will be closed for a
long time, since there are deep drifts on the road that the local
snowplows are not adequate to handle. *Maybe they can dig it all out
with front-end loaders.

Still, the worst day skiing is better than the best day at whatever, right?

I'm still sick. *Maybe next week.

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land

Caltrans reports all roads clear today except a short stretch of 18
through Big Bear City requires chains. I usually go around the lake
on the north side to avoid the congestion anyway.

On for Sunday.
Old January 28th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_7_]

On 01/28/2010 08:18 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

On Jan 27, 5:07 pm, The Real wrote:
On 01/25/2010 04:45 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

The front road through Running Springs was supposedly open for the
afternoon, but we didn't want to get stuck in a 20-mile traffic jam,
so we chose the 5-mile one headed down to the desert. The Big Bear
radio station said that SR38 down to Redlands will be closed for a
long time, since there are deep drifts on the road that the local
snowplows are not adequate to handle. Maybe they can dig it all out
with front-end loaders.

Still, the worst day skiing is better than the best day atwhatever, right?

I'm still sick. Maybe next week.

Caltrans reports all roads clear today except a short stretch of 18
through Big Bear City requires chains. I usually go around the lake
on the north side to avoid the congestion anyway.

There are definite advantages to going during the week. You REALLY take work
(and school) too seriously.

On for Sunday.

:-( Still feel like ****. Next week. Gotta be a longer season this year, right?

--
Cheers, Bev
Far away in a strange land
Old January 28th 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 28, 12:08*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

Weekends is when my son can go - although he did ditch his team
practice on a Wednesday a couple of weeks ago.

My problem with going alone is that he usually drives the majority of
the return leg, and I am too tired to go the whole distance safely.
Old January 31st 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

On Jan 25, 4:45*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

Hey, freak?
Pretty transparent of you to write boring trip reports to a mountain
nobody wants to ski. Something you've never done before you started
your latest pathetic attempt to silence me by lying to LE
authorities. Typical psychopathic manipulations. I invite LE to take
a look at his posting history: he hangs out here to harass, defame,
and stalk me.
In either case, how about a classier mountain? Sort of like the trip
report I could write about Sun Valley the past couple days, including
today. I'm going to be walking out the door in ten minutes or so,
walking two hundred yards, and getting on the lift to ski a great hill
in wonderful conditions.
Maybe Jackson Hole? DV? The Canyons? Snowbasin?
I could post about all of them, and you get to post bull**** about
bull****.
Life is good, and you're still a stalking psychopathic coward,
Dickless Henry.
Old January 31st 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 31, 7:50*am, twobuddha wrote:
[...]

Speaking of posting history...
Old February 1st 10, 05:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Jan 31, 11:11*am, Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

I'd be delighted for LE to take a look at how I expose you, on a
regular basis, as a psychopathic pathological liar, stalker, and
dickless coward. Indeed, if you could provide me with the contact
info for the LE officers you supposedly contacted, I would write them
today.
Ooooops. They blew you off, right, you laughable pussy?
Still waiting, freak. Day 35 of Bob Thompson and Dickless Richard
Henry lying to LE, and have not heard a word.
Speaking of posting history, what are they going to think if they ever
read this ******** and see how reasonable I am about working with
them, and how dishonest and manipulative YOU are?
EMERGENCY SOCCER GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EOY Trip Report helibrdr Alpine Skiing 0 April 25th 08 02:18 PM
Trip Report - Sun Valley KentB Alpine Skiing 1 March 15th 05 01:21 AM
Trip report: Mt. Bachelor, OR sknyski Nordic Skiing 0 January 31st 05 11:10 PM
Great Bear Chase Report BeeCharmer Nordic Skiing 1 March 8th 04 05:37 PM