best exercise to get fit for boarding???

Old February 9th 05, 09:16 AM
hob

Default best exercise to get fit for boarding???

i'm a reasonably good boarder. i did a season a few years ago. since
then i've become fairly unfit. i'm off to mammoth in the states in 3
weeks time - i need to get fit quick!!!

what's the best exercise for get fit for boarding? any simple exercises
to tone those boarding muscles? i've recently bought a mountain bike so
hopefully that'll help.

cheers.

Old February 9th 05, 11:51 AM
og

hob wrote:
i'm a reasonably good boarder. i did a season a few years ago. since
then i've become fairly unfit. i'm off to mammoth in the states in 3
weeks time - i need to get fit quick!!!

what's the best exercise for get fit for boarding? any simple

exercises
to tone those boarding muscles? i've recently bought a mountain bike

so
hopefully that'll help.

cheers.

Run uphill in the morning. Swim in the afternoon.

Old February 9th 05, 01:48 PM
Neil Gendzwill

hob wrote:

what's the best exercise for get fit for boarding? any simple exercises
to tone those boarding muscles? i've recently bought a mountain bike so
hopefully that'll help.

Biking or any other aerobic exercise will help. Some sort of resistance
training for the legs would be good, too. If you have access to
weights, squats are excellent. Without weights, you can do hindu squats
(basically fairly fast squats with no weights) and wall sits (back
against a wall, legs bent at 90 degrees as if in chair, hold for either
as long as possible or for 1 minute sets).

You can find some snowboard-specific advise he
http://www.together.net/~ronjav/sbtp/

Neil

Old February 9th 05, 03:24 PM
David

"hob" wrote in message oups.com...
i'm a reasonably good boarder. i did a season a few years ago. since
then i've become fairly unfit. i'm off to mammoth in the states in 3
weeks time - i need to get fit quick!!!

what's the best exercise for get fit for boarding? any simple exercises
to tone those boarding muscles?

One leg squats with no weight seem to help for me.

i've recently bought a mountain bike so
hopefully that'll help.

I've been cycling for years. It helps my overall fitness, but by itself
not enough for me to be fit for boarding.

Have fun.
David

Old February 9th 05, 03:38 PM
Robert Stevahn

On 9 Feb 2005 02:16:10 -0800, "hob" wrote:

what's the best exercise for get fit for boarding?

Aerobics, wall sits and get yourself a balance board of some kind.

But basically, plan on being very sore.

-- Robert
Old February 9th 05, 04:41 PM
Jason Medeiros

"hob" wrote in message
oups.com...
i'm a reasonably good boarder. i did a season a few years ago. since
then i've become fairly unfit. i'm off to mammoth in the states in 3
weeks time - i need to get fit quick!!!

what's the best exercise for get fit for boarding? any simple exercises
to tone those boarding muscles? i've recently bought a mountain bike so
hopefully that'll help.

cheers.

www.bikramyoga.com

nothing else compares...
most areas have a $20 special intro membership. 10days, all you can do.
i'd say shoot for 8/10 and then do a few more sessions prior to your trip.
you will transform yourself asap!

good luck
--

jmed

Old February 9th 05, 06:02 PM
Champ

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:41:10 -0700, "Jason Medeiros"
wrote:

"hob" wrote in message
roups.com...
i'm a reasonably good boarder. i did a season a few years ago. since
then i've become fairly unfit. i'm off to mammoth in the states in 3
weeks time - i need to get fit quick!!!

what's the best exercise for get fit for boarding? any simple exercises
to tone those boarding muscles? i've recently bought a mountain bike so
hopefully that'll help.

cheers.

www.bikramyoga.com

nothing else compares...
most areas have a $20 special intro membership.

Given that the original poster is fairly obviously outside the USA,
this isn't particularly useful :-)
--
Champ
Old February 9th 05, 06:17 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Champ wrote:

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:41:10 -0700, "Jason Medeiros"
wrote:

"hob" wrote in message
groups.com...

i'm a reasonably good boarder. i did a season a few years ago. since
then i've become fairly unfit. i'm off to mammoth in the states in 3
weeks time - i need to get fit quick!!!

what's the best exercise for get fit for boarding? any simple exercises
to tone those boarding muscles? i've recently bought a mountain bike so
hopefully that'll help.

cheers.

www.bikramyoga.com

nothing else compares...
most areas have a $20 special intro membership.

Given that the original poster is fairly obviously outside the USA,
this isn't particularly useful :-)

Not to mention - yoga to get fit in 3 weeks time? I don't buy yoga as
primary conditioning for sports that require strength and muscular
endurance. It'll help you get more flexible for sure, but not in only 3
weeks. Not so much with building those quads either...

Come to think of it, my advice was not so hot either as I missed that 3
weeks timeframe. The only thing you can do in 3 weeks is improve your
cardio somewhat and maybe drop 5 pounds if you're careful. You might
improve strength a bit with a few wall sits or squats (better than
nothing) but serious S&C for riding or anything else is a longer-term
proposal than that.

Neil

Old February 9th 05, 08:05 PM
bri719

hob wrote:

i'm a reasonably good boarder. i did a season a few years ago. since
then i've become fairly unfit. i'm off to mammoth in the states in 3
weeks time - i need to get fit quick!!!

what's the best exercise for get fit for boarding? any simple exercises
to tone those boarding muscles? i've recently bought a mountain bike so
hopefully that'll help.

I MTB a lot in the summer but I still feel it quite a bit in my ass,
hips, calves and to a lesser degree upper thigh when I start boarding
again for the season. do a bunch of lunges or squat-thrusts and you
should be OK. work on some calf raises too with a light weight across
your shoulders. I don't get quite enough lower leg work on the bike and
sometimes I feel some tension there from carving the first or 2nd time
up on my board in the Fall.

a nice stretch beforehand helps too. and your first or second run
should be considered warm-up, especially if you haven't done it in a while.

good luck

bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old February 9th 05, 08:09 PM
bri719

Robert Stevahn wrote:

On 9 Feb 2005 02:16:10 -0800, "hob" wrote:

what's the best exercise for get fit for boarding?

Aerobics, wall sits and get yourself a balance board of some kind.

But basically, plan on being very sore.

yeah....but hopefully he won't overdo it!

I can say this is my 3rd full year boarding and it's the first season I
didn't feel moderate to severe soreness from my 1st or 2nd day on the
hill. mild, yes. but nothing that you wouldn't expect. in fact my
upper body seem to suffer as much as if not more than my lower body at
the beginning of this season. I must say, it was a pretty welcome
relief so maybe I'm doing something right when I can't board from May-Oct.

bri