newbie binding question

Old January 31st 05, 07:07 PM
eric zwicky

Default newbie binding question

hi all,

two weeks ago, in preparation for the big snowfall here outside
philadelphia, i bought my first x-c ski outfit: fischer bc country
crown skis, rossignol x-5 boots, rottetella auto-tour bindings.

the heavy snowfall has afforded me the opportunity to ski in varied
conditions, from shin-deep powder to ice-crusted footpaths, and some
tracks made last weekend by one of my friends through the woods and
railroad tracks near his house.

yesterday i had the opportunity to side-step up a longish, steep hill.
i had a great degree of trouble getting the tails of my skis to lift
up, because they were weighted down with snow, and also because when i
lift my heel, the tail does not come up at all. i realize the heel is
free, but when ed lifts his heel, the tail of his ski does indeed come
up after a bit. in other words, my ski/boot/binding combination is
more loose, or "droopy", if that makes sense. ed's boot and binding
appear to be NNN like mine, so i wonder if different manufacturers
have different "tolerances" for lack of a better term? should i
perhaps look at a different binding, but one that is still NNN so i
can use the boots i just bought?

my height is 6', weight is 185, ski length is 210.

thanks in advance for your time and advice,

-eric zwicky
wallingford, pa
usa

Old January 31st 05, 08:42 PM
Camilo

"eric zwicky" wrote in...

when i
lift my heel, the tail does not come up at all. i realize the heel is
free, but when ed lifts his heel, the tail of his ski does indeed come
up after a bit. in other words, my ski/boot/binding combination is
more loose, or "droopy", if that makes sense. ed's boot and binding
appear to be NNN like mine, so i wonder if different manufacturers
have different "tolerances" for lack of a better term? should i
perhaps look at a different binding, but one that is still NNN so i
can use the boots i just bought?

Eric, I'd bring the outfit to the shop where you bought them and have them
checked out. Several possibilities come to mind - it could just be the way
it is; it could be that the binding is mis-mounted; it could be that the
rubber bumper could be changed to make it work better. Good luck
Cam

Old February 7th 05, 09:32 PM
Ralph

Eric,
I'd do as Camilo suggested. Take it to the shop and ask them.

I do know, however, that there are several varieties in stiffness in the
rubber bumpers. You say you have NNN bindings. Are these NNN, NNN II or
NNN BC. I don't know about the first two but NNN BC (the BC stands for
Backcountry) bindings usually come with black bumpers. These are the
softest available. The most stiff are green in color and many folks who
do a lot of telemark skiing immediately change to these. There may also
be another color or two that rate in between the black and green in
stiffness.

In addition to the bumper your bindings could be mounted in front of the
balance point allowing the tip to drop. If your bindings were mounted by
the shop this is not too likely because they are usually trained in the
correct mounting procedure.
Ralph Thornton
Ralph's Nordic Web
http://www.ernordic.com/ralph.htm

newbie pole question a Nordic Skiing 8 January 21st 05 02:35 AM
Salomon Pilot boot and binding question. Serge Nordic Skiing 2 November 15th 04 07:15 PM
Binding Remounting question? New One Alpine Skiing 7 April 22nd 04 03:09 PM
Newbie Binding Setup Question Joe Blanchard Snowboarding 2 February 26th 04 07:57 PM
Newbie Bindings Question Joe Blanchard Snowboarding 5 February 16th 04 12:42 AM