V2 Aero 150 Frame failure

Old November 21st 03, 01:15 AM
BeeCharmer

Default V2 Aero 150 Frame failure

Very disconcerting experience last night rollerskiing down the last
hill to the car. The rear wheel on one ski just flopped over causing
a spill. Couldn't figure out what had happened in the semi-dark until
I saw the ripped metal at the joint of the fork and ski body.

I'm a big guy, 100kg, and have skied about 1500 miles on the skis, but
is failure of the frame something to be expected? I couldn't find any
warrantee info at the website and won't be able to get someone on the
phone until Monday. I did notice that the current frames have some
type of reinforcement at the area that failed on my skis. What do you
think: should I demand replacement frames (I don't really trust the
other ski anymore). Anyone here experience a similar failure?

Thanks,

chris
ne iowa
Old November 21st 03, 01:33 AM
Gary Jacobson

The newer design creates a more rigid fork which probably is stronger.
I am about your weight and never broke the older frame, but the fork would
bend.
We are at the max. of weight for just about any standard roller ski shaft.
I don't think that "demanding" will get you anywhere. Just telling them what
happened.
1500 miles is not a lot of miles, but big guys like us can put a lot of
stress on frames.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

om...

Old November 21st 03, 01:08 PM
BeeCharmer

Thanks for the advice. You're right and now more than a day after the
spill, I'm a bit more objective and less into 'demanding'. Sure was a
****er, though, to have my trusty Aero's crap out on me.

chris
Old November 21st 03, 04:59 PM
Chris Cline

--0-926626507-1069433494=:60247

Hi Chris-
I would at least call the manufacturer and talk with them about the broken ski. Although you are at the top of the weight range for the roller ski (maybe? does the manufacturer list a weight range in their literature?), I think that kind of failure represents a potentially dangerous weakness in the engineering, design and/or manufacture of the product that could potentially occur to other users. Perhaps someone who is not as heavy, but maybe uses them for more miles, or uses them harder (such as a very powerful, dynamic skiier). But, I'm just another rollerskiier who happens to own a pair of Aero 150s, not a lawyer, so that's definitely a personal opinion, not a legal one!

I would think (I would _hope_, anyway) that the manufacturer would appreciate hearing about the incident and collecting the information about it, for the price of a new pair of skis, rather than a lawsuit.

Chris C.
thankfully not having to use my rollerskis here in northern Utah, where it's snowing yet again!
BeeCharmer wrote:
Thanks for the advice. You're right and now more than a day after the
spill, I'm a bit more objective and less into 'demanding'. Sure was a
****er, though, to have my trusty Aero's crap out on me.

chris

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
--0-926626507-1069433494=:60247

DIVHi Chris-/DIV
DIVI would at least call the manufacturer and talk with them about the broken ski.  Although you are at the top of the weight range for the roller ski (maybe?  does the manufacturer list a weight range in their literature?), I think that kind of failure represents a potentially dangerous weakness in the engineering, design and/or manufacture of the product that could potentially occur to other users.  Perhaps someone who is not as heavy, but maybe uses them for more miles, or uses them harder (such as a very powerful, dynamic skiier).  But, I'm just another rollerskiier who happens to own a pair of Aero 150s, not a lawyer, so that's definitely a personal opinion, not a legal one!/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVI would think (I would _hope_, anyway) that the manufacturer would appreciate hearing about the incident and collecting the information about it, for the price of a new pair of skis, rather than a lawsuit./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChris C./DIV
DIVthankfully not having to use my rollerskis here in northern Utah, where it's snowing yet again!/DIV
DIVBIBeeCharmer >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"Thanks for the advice. You're right and now more than a day after theBRspill, I'm a bit more objective and less into 'demanding'. Sure was aBR****er, though, to have my trusty Aero's crap out on me.BRBRchrisBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/slv/mailtag/*http://companion.yahoo.com/"Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now/a
--0-926626507-1069433494=:60247--

Old November 21st 03, 08:27 PM
Bob Larson

For what its worth, I had the same type of frame failure on my
skate rollerskis last season. These were not Aero, but
rather high milage Elpex F1 with aluminum frame. Mine broke
right at the base of the rear fork. It's a one-piece
fork and frame with no reinforcent at the fork. A retailer
of Elpex sent me a replacement frame for free after I explained
what happened. Another retailer of the Elpex line offered a
replacement to me at a reasonable price. It's a small market
so you can expect to get some special consideration if you
are nice about it.

- Bob