Returning to skiing

Old October 14th 04, 06:54 PM
Dancebert

Default Returning to skiing

I'm returning to skiing after a 10-year absence (hang gliding is more
addictive than skiing … who woulda thought). Didn't take me long
after walking into a ski store to realize an equipment revolution had
occurred. No doubt I'm going to get some new skis, the only question
is which path to take there.

The first is to spend a few days on my circa 1990 equipment (assuming
the bindings check out OK) for a combination of old times sake and to
not force me to learn anything new immediately. The second option is
to chuck the old boards, rent some modern ones, get myself to an
instructor and don't look back.

I'm leaning toward option one for a couple reasons. I'm curious to
see how long it will take me to get back to some semblance of my
former skills. I'd also like the opportunity to respond to questions
in lift lines about my 205s with straight faced answers like ‘We're
filming a documentary set in the early 90s' or ‘I'm brain damaged and
am unable to learn anything new' ;-)

Background info. Used to be what is now called a Level 8 skier.
Somebody once said that if my feet were bungeed together it wouldn't
have any affect on my skiing. The only conditions I couldn't handle
with speed, aggression and style were steep bumps, and slop snow
conditions like breakable curst and mashed potatoes. I'm 50 now, in
better shape than most of my peers but I think my days of tree skiing
are over. I expect I'll spend most of my time on the slopes in my two
favorite modes: GS type skiing on the blues/groomed blacks and skiing
aggressive through heavily moguled blues (I hope current grooming
doesn't get rid of the blue moguls every night). Oh, 90% of the
skiing will be in the Sierra Nevada.

Thanks
Old October 14th 04, 08:24 PM
lal_truckee

Dancebert wrote:
[...]

Shouldn't have admitted that - some folks around here think you can't
carve with feet together.

The only conditions I couldn't handle
with speed, aggression and style were steep bumps, and slop snow
conditions like breakable curst and mashed potatoes. I'm 50 now, in
better shape than most of my peers but I think my days of tree skiing
are over.

Never say over. In fact, you should plan on improving in off piste.
These days 70 isn't old; 50 is callow youth.

I expect I'll spend most of my time on the slopes in my two
favorite modes: GS type skiing on the blues/groomed blacks and skiing
aggressive through heavily moguled blues (I hope current grooming
doesn't get rid of the blue moguls every night). Oh, 90% of the
skiing will be in the Sierra Nevada.

Starting out with your old (with checked out bindings) gives you a
chance to shop around for price on your new gear - could save you a bundle.

You probably want to think about your boots; there have been a few
improvements (although not as many as some claim.) However if your boots
were excellent 10 years ago, they might be still good. Unless they were
Exploding Nodicas.
Old October 14th 04, 09:51 PM
Dmitry

"Dancebert" wrote

The first is to spend a few days on my circa 1990 equipment (assuming
the bindings check out OK) for a combination of old times sake and to
not force me to learn anything new immediately. The second option is
to chuck the old boards, rent some modern ones, get myself to an
instructor and don't look back.

AFAIK lots of places simply won't deal with equipment that old
(I don't remember what date of manufacturing is the cutoff, something
like 1997). I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you care about
your health, you might want to upgrade your bindings to something more
modern that has more release options and is more robust.

Old October 14th 04, 10:05 PM
Walt

Dmitry wrote:
"Dancebert" wrote

The first is to spend a few days on my circa 1990 equipment (assuming
the bindings check out OK) for a combination of old times sake and to
not force me to learn anything new immediately. The second option is
to chuck the old boards, rent some modern ones, get myself to an
instructor and don't look back.

AFAIK lots of places simply won't deal with equipment that old
(I don't remember what date of manufacturing is the cutoff, something
like 1997). I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you care about
your health, you might want to upgrade your bindings to something more
modern that has more release options and is more robust.

It's not the age per se, but whether the bindings are still on the
indemnification list. If the bindings are on the list, any shop should
work on them. If not, it's doubtful that you can get anybody to adjust
and test them.

And there's the rub. The bindings may be fine, but you can't know that
unless you test them, and you probably can't get anybody to test them
unless they're on the list.

My advice is don't ski on bindings that haven't been adjusted and
tested. Unfortunately, that probably means binning your old boards.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 14th 04, 10:36 PM
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:
Dmitry wrote:

"Dancebert" wrote

[...]

I've had out-of-indemnification bindings tested. Depends on your
relationship with the shop rats. Providing a season ending case of beer
last Spring provides lots of service options this Fall. What you don't
get is any law-suit supporting paper work.

Old October 14th 04, 10:58 PM
Lucky

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Walt wrote:
Dmitry wrote:

"Dancebert" wrote

[...]

Ain't that the truth.
there used to be an Alpine hut here on East hill where I did all my tuning,
mounting ,BS'ing small shopping.
boot punching etc.etc.

The owner and I were on good terms, and he filled me in on all the new news.
unfortunetly he couldn't compete with the big chains sold out and moved to
Mt.Hood.

Old October 14th 04, 11:45 PM
Cheryl

On 14 Oct 2004 11:54:59 -0700, (Dancebert) wrote:

[...]

OPTION 2 by all means. Get yourself some new boots (I've seen boots
that old actually crack) fit by a good bootfitter. Then rent the new
skis (demo grade , as most shops will have a rental price goes toward
purchase) and have a blast. It's so much easier on your body with the
new short sticks. The transition will be easier than you think,
skiing hasn't really changed much, just adjustments to your old skill
sets.
Old October 15th 04, 02:38 AM
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:

I've had out-of-indemnification bindings tested. Depends on your
relationship with the shop rats. Providing a season ending case of beer
last Spring provides lots of service options this Fall. What you don't
get is any law-suit supporting paper work.

Unfortunately, the original poster has been away from skiing for a
decade so it's extremely unlikely that he adequate foresight to
properly bribe the shop rats. Even if he left a decade's worth of
beer, it's unlikely that there'd be anyone still around who remembers him.

His only hope is to find someone in the Sierras who has a soft spot
for old 215cm straight skis and who has a good enough relationship
with the shop rats to pull a favor for him. But where would he find
such a person? I can't imagine that there's anyone like that hanging
around.

--
// Walt
//

Old October 15th 04, 03:59 AM
JQ

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Two seasons ago I took a few people out and one of them hadn't skied in for
8 years. She had boots but decided to rent skis. She walk out to the lift
and put the skis on and just as she began to skate over to the lift the
entire bottom of one boot blew out. The boot looked like they were in good
shape too, I guess sitting for so long the plastic got brittle. I did see
another person at another time get off the lift and made one turn and his
boot fell apart, he also had older boots. He was lucky that he was not
headed down hill his skis would have taken off like a rocket.

New boots might be a very good idea!

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old October 15th 04, 04:47 AM
JQ

AstroPax wrote:
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:59:09 -0400, "JQ" wrote:

the entire bottom of one boot blew out. The boot looked like they were

in good
shape too, I guess sitting for so long the plastic got brittle.

By any chance, was that a Tecnica?

My money's on Exploding Nordicas.

If memory serves me right they were red Nordicas.

JQ
Dancing on the edge