Bindings mount

Old October 27th 04, 12:37 PM
Yum

Default Bindings mount

I have just purchased a pair of skis without bindings mounted. It has a
horizontal line at around the binding position and there are two numbers
with a drill icon. 3.6mm and 9.5mm. I assume the line is at center of
boot, two number are drill size and depth. Am I right ? TIA.

Old October 28th 04, 01:34 PM
R Ebert

I think you're right!
The line in around the middle of the ski should be concordant with the
sign at the side of the sole of your boot.

Just in order to make it su Don't use a drill size of 9.5 and a depth
of 3.6 - this will definitly help;-)

Have fun with your new stuff!

RicciE

Old October 28th 04, 03:07 PM
JQ

"Yum" wrote in message
I have just purchased a pair of skis without bindings mounted. It has a
horizontal line at around the binding position and there are two numbers
with a drill icon. 3.6mm and 9.5mm. I assume the line is at center of
boot, two number are drill size and depth. Am I right ? TIA.

I would spend the $30 - $45 to have them mounted by a good ski shop. This
way you will know it is done correctly and the bindings tested and adjusted
properly.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old October 28th 04, 03:15 PM
Walt

JQ wrote:
"Yum" wrote

I have just purchased a pair of skis without bindings mounted. It has a
horizontal line at around the binding position and there are two numbers
with a drill icon. 3.6mm and 9.5mm. I assume the line is at center of
boot, two number are drill size and depth. Am I right ? TIA.

I would spend the $30 - $45 to have them mounted by a good ski shop. This
way you will know it is done correctly and the bindings tested and adjusted
properly.

Agreed. I would have posted the exact same advice, but I'm getting
tired of sounding like a broken record.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 28th 04, 04:29 PM
lal_truckee

Yum wrote:
I have just purchased a pair of skis without bindings mounted. It has a
horizontal line at around the binding position and there are two numbers
with a drill icon. 3.6mm and 9.5mm. I assume the line is at center of
boot, two number are drill size and depth. Am I right ? TIA.

Some ski manufacturers mark boot midsole (most common, I believe) some
mark toe, some don't mark and expect you to measure either cord length,
or running surface length and make your own mark. Make sure you know
which you've got - you didn't mention the ski manufacturer.

Don't forget to tap the holes if required. You do know whether it's
required, don't you? Be very careful adjusting your drill stop so you
don't dimple the bases, or worse, punch right through.

If you're serious about this, use the paper template that comes with the
bindings (they did give you the template, didn't they?) to drill a piece
of 1/4 inch plastic to use as a drill guide; make sure the bindings and
plastic holes are properly aligned, then clamp the guide to the skis at
the correct position to guide your drilling - can save allot of heart-ache.

Finally, there's more You'll need to know about setting the bindings
than just setting DIN to your weight.

There's a good reason shops get a few bucks to mount bindings. Also, if
you buy bindings and skis from the same shop mounting is soemtimes free,
or at least discounted.
Old October 28th 04, 08:28 PM
R Ebert

Hi there.
Even though I've given some hints for mounting the bindings I totally
agree with all the others that you surely ought to know what oyu're
doing!
Even more if you're considering that getting the binding mounted by a
professional gives you a warranty that you'll loose by doing it
yourself...

RicciE
Old October 29th 04, 01:42 AM
Yum

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Yum wrote:
[...]

Thank you for good suggestions.
I am planning to use bindings mounted on a old pair of skies.
So, I don't have a template, but I can measure the distance between holes on
a old ski.
Since I use the same boots, I don't think I need to readjust binding
settings, I presume.
Yes, I understand ski manufactures want to discourage people from trying it
for liability reason.
In my case, it seems to be a simple enough task. Isn't it just a matter of
drilling right size holes at
right location ? Or am I missing something ?
Is there any reason, kids at ski shop can do a better job than others ?
Does it requre special tools or skills ? I tried to find information on
the net, but couldn't find any.
Thanks.

Old October 29th 04, 01:57 AM
Yum

"JQ" wrote in message

"Yum" wrote in message
I have just purchased a pair of skis without bindings mounted. It has

horizontal line at around the binding position and there are two numbers
with a drill icon. 3.6mm and 9.5mm. I assume the line is at center

of
boot, two number are drill size and depth. Am I right ? TIA.

I would spend the $30 - $45 to have them mounted by a good ski shop. This
way you will know it is done correctly and the bindings tested and

adjusted
properly.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Thank you for the advice. I may end up doing as you suggested..
Howver, it looks to me like a very simple job that anybody can handle.
It takes only few seconds for guys at ski rental shop adjusting binding for
different boots. I feel I can spend more time and do a better job.
Or, am I missing something ?

Old October 29th 04, 02:59 AM
Yum

Yum wrote:
I have just purchased a pair of skis without bindings mounted. It has

horizontal line at around the binding position and there are two numbers
with a drill icon. 3.6mm and 9.5mm. I assume the line is at center

of
boot, two number are drill size and depth. Am I right ? TIA.

Some ski manufacturers mark boot midsole (most common, I believe) some
mark toe, some don't mark and expect you to measure either cord length,
or running surface length and make your own mark. Make sure you know
which you've got - you didn't mention the ski manufacturer.

Atomic ski and Marker binding.

Don't forget to tap the holes if required. You do know whether it's
required, don't you? Be very careful adjusting your drill stop so you
don't dimple the bases, or worse, punch right through.

No, I didn't know. I guess they are metic. Correct ?
Thanks.

NNN Auto Bindings Author Nordic Skiing 4 December 19th 03 10:13 PM
salomon bindings / burton boards Joe Snowboarding 6 December 18th 03 09:48 PM
Mounting alpine bindings Terry Hill Alpine Skiing 26 December 6th 03 05:51 AM
Mount Bindings Schmoe Alpine Skiing 12 November 15th 03 03:02 PM
Atomic Ski Bindings - 4.12 or 6.14 which is better for me? Christopher Luke Alpine Skiing 7 August 10th 03 03:40 PM