Happy Christmas Everyone...av beacon practice?

Old December 25th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

Default Happy Christmas Everyone...av beacon practice?

I hope you're all having groovy times with friends, family and/or
slippery slopes.

So I'm wondering if anyone anywhere near the Detroit area has an
avalanche beacon and needs practice with it. I got mine last summer
and plan to carry it on a few back/side country days this season. It
seems key, however to gain some proficiency prior to needing it. If
anyone else around here is in the same predicament, please get in
touch.

Alternatively, I'll be in Summit County and Winter Park, CO from 2.20
to 3.25. Perhaps someone out there would like to get together for some
practice/skiing.

Peace,
Chris

Old December 25th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

bumpfreaq wrote:
I hope you're all having groovy times with friends, family and/or
slippery slopes.

So I'm wondering if anyone anywhere near the Detroit area has an
avalanche beacon and needs practice with it. I got mine last summer
and plan to carry it on a few back/side country days this season. It
seems key, however to gain some proficiency prior to needing it. If
anyone else around here is in the same predicament, please get in
touch.

Alternatively, I'll be in Summit County and Winter Park, CO from 2.20
to 3.25. Perhaps someone out there would like to get together for some
practice/skiing.

Actually, you want to make sure your ski buddies are well practiced grin

Around here the patrol sets up practice scenarios - I assume that other
area patrols do likewise. If you don't have a buddy with a beacon for
practice, ask the patrol wherever you are if they have a practice
scenario set up.
Old December 26th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

lal_truckee wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
I hope you're all having groovy times with friends, family and/or
slippery slopes.

So I'm wondering if anyone anywhere near the Detroit area has an
avalanche beacon and needs practice with it. I got mine last summer
and plan to carry it on a few back/side country days this season. It
seems key, however to gain some proficiency prior to needing it. If
anyone else around here is in the same predicament, please get in
touch.

Alternatively, I'll be in Summit County and Winter Park, CO from 2.20
to 3.25. Perhaps someone out there would like to get together for some
practice/skiing.

Actually, you want to make sure your ski buddies are well practiced grin

No doubt, but I figure if I want them to be expert I should probably at
least know the basics =)

Around here the patrol sets up practice scenarios - I assume that other
area patrols do likewise. If you don't have a buddy with a beacon for
practice, ask the patrol wherever you are if they have a practice
scenario set up.

I was thinking that those practice sessions usually take place early in
the season. A quick search of the Winter Park web site and the ABasin
site didn't turn up any useful info. I'll shoot them an email to see
what's up. Maybe also get in touch with the folks at BCA, maybe they
offer something.

Thanks for the advice,
Chris

Old December 26th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

bumpfreaq wrote:
I was thinking that those practice sessions usually take place early in
the season. A quick search of the Winter Park web site and the ABasin
site didn't turn up any useful info. I'll shoot them an email to see
what's up. Maybe also get in touch with the folks at BCA, maybe they
offer something.

Thanks for the advice,
Chris

Last year Breck had this practice area set up:
http://www.bcaccess.com/home_menu/Ne...sinAtBreck.php

I'm guessing they will do it again this year.

snoig

Old December 26th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

snoig wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
I was thinking that those practice sessions usually take place early in
the season. A quick search of the Winter Park web site and the ABasin
site didn't turn up any useful info. I'll shoot them an email to see
what's up. Maybe also get in touch with the folks at BCA, maybe they
offer something.

Thanks for the advice,
Chris

Last year Breck had this practice area set up:
http://www.bcaccess.com/home_menu/Ne...sinAtBreck.php

I'm guessing they will do it again this year.

snoig

Great tip. This sounds like an excellent educational tool. Thanks.

Chris

Christmas 2005 Ski Trip BostonJD Alpine Skiing 3 February 3rd 05 06:35 AM
BC Christmas Vacation RR Snowboarding 2 October 22nd 04 03:09 PM
My Kind of Christmas Present AstroPax Alpine Skiing (moderated) 1 December 25th 03 04:54 PM
avalanche beacon BobT Marketplace 0 November 30th 03 03:10 PM
Skiing in North America over Christmas - Do not want to go to Whistler. How about Fernie or Kirkwood? Markus Hornkvist Alpine Skiing 51 October 10th 03 02:48 PM