A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Nordic Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Beach skating

Old December 13th 09, 05:49 PM

First recorded activity by SkiBanter: Mar 2006
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok
Default Beach skating

The legendary Bill Koch has been known to train on the beaches near his home. Friends and ski talents joined him in training session on the beach, in varying conditions which, as the stories go, at times are so fast that no pole skating is easily done.
Apparently the physics of beach skating work a bit like this :
Between the sand and ski, a bit of water is trapping, causing aquaplaning.

I'd love to hear of any 2nd or 3rd hand accounts of beach skating. The kind of skis that work best for it, for instance. Wider and longer? Or just longer? Stiff with low camber, perhaps? Special surface treatment?

I live semi-near the beaches of Hoek van Holland and Scheveningen, here in the Netherlands. I'd love to get some longer workouts done on the shore line. Any alternative surface or gear to XC skate relatively safe and fun, I'm interested in.

The beach skating I'm asking about is not to be confused with classic on the beach, which is better documented, like on Youtube. It also works in snow drifts. Classic just seems less of a challenge well in higher-friction circumstances. I'm just not into classic, yet.

Thanks for any recollections, links, and ideas! This wonderful option is SO under-documented...

Regards,

J
Ads