Beach skating

Old December 13th 09, 05:49 PM
Jan Gerrit Klok Jan Gerrit Klok is offline
Member

Location: Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to Jan Gerrit Klok Send a message via Yahoo to Jan Gerrit Klok
Default Beach skating

The legendary Bill Koch has been known to train on the beaches near his home. Friends and ski talents joined him in training session on the beach, in varying conditions which, as the stories go, at times are so fast that no pole skating is easily done.
Apparently the physics of beach skating work a bit like this :
Between the sand and ski, a bit of water is trapping, causing aquaplaning.

I'd love to hear of any 2nd or 3rd hand accounts of beach skating. The kind of skis that work best for it, for instance. Wider and longer? Or just longer? Stiff with low camber, perhaps? Special surface treatment?

I live semi-near the beaches of Hoek van Holland and Scheveningen, here in the Netherlands. I'd love to get some longer workouts done on the shore line. Any alternative surface or gear to XC skate relatively safe and fun, I'm interested in.

The beach skating I'm asking about is not to be confused with classic on the beach, which is better documented, like on Youtube. It also works in snow drifts. Classic just seems less of a challenge well in higher-friction circumstances. I'm just not into classic, yet.

Thanks for any recollections, links, and ideas! This wonderful option is SO under-documented...

Regards,

Capital/Beach rollerski group nordvind Nordic Skiing 0 July 25th 05 09:59 PM
A-Basin Beach closed? Richard M Alpine Skiing 2 April 15th 04 12:37 PM
videos of my skating with poles (was Poles / No-poles Skating experiment) [email protected] Nordic Skiing 1 December 29th 03 01:53 PM
Skating Jim S Backcountry Skiing 0 December 27th 03 01:26 AM
Wisconsin theory of skating (was forward-step move in skating) Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 19 July 23rd 03 12:17 PM