Skiing in Europe over the Christmas break

Old February 26th 04, 10:21 PM
Jeffrey Golenbock

Default Skiing in Europe over the Christmas break

I am considering bringing my family to Europe to ski over Christmas
break. We are looking for a location that has advanced terrain, but
are concerned that skiing in Europe at that time of year will mean
poor conditions. Any suggestions as to where we could go that would
have the greatest likelihood of good snow? Any help will be
appreciated.
Old February 27th 04, 07:52 AM
Ace

On 27 Feb 2004 01:07:01 GMT, Tommy Petersson wrote:

(Jeffrey Golenbock) wrote in
. com:

I am considering bringing my family to Europe to ski over Christmas
break. We are looking for a location that has advanced terrain, but
are concerned that skiing in Europe at that time of year will mean
poor conditions. Any suggestions as to where we could go that would
have the greatest likelihood of good snow? Any help will be
appreciated.

Sölden, Tignes, Verbier...

....Zermatt, Val Thorens, Val d'Isère...

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 27th 04, 04:41 PM
hhh

MoonMan wrote:
Ace wrote:

OK two votes for Espace Killy so far... three with mine,

Note to the original poster: Espace Killy = Tignes/Val d'Isère. Val d'Isère
is probably the nicer of the 2 to stay in as it has more traditionally
Alpine architecture.

Another option is St Anton (plenty of expert terrain and a fantastic village
atmosphere), my favourite resort in the Alps - I've only been once over
Christmas and had great conditions, don't know what they're usually like
that time of year. Probably worth finding a website that shows average snow
depth for time of year and checking it against some of the above
recommendations. Zermatt should also fulfill your requirements and would
have a great atmosphere that time of year.

Old February 27th 04, 06:04 PM
InMyTree

How about Les 2 Alpes and Kaprun?

Kaprun is good for snow, but poor for advanced terrain.. even Zell Am See
down the road is very tame..

I certainly don't class myself as an advanced skier, but I found nothing at
these two places very challenging..

Old February 27th 04, 06:38 PM
Clive Perry

"Tommy Petersson" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"MoonMan" wrote in
:

I don't especially like Kaprun, and I have never been at Les 2 Alpes any
time of the year, but there ought to be early snow there as well...

/Tommy P.

I was in Les Deux Alpes last week and have skied Val d'Isere/Tignes for the
past 3 years based as La Daille - no competition IMHO.

It's a one horse race and Val wins it by many lengths.

Clive

Old February 27th 04, 07:20 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Jeffrey Golenbock :
I am considering bringing my family to Europe to ski over Christmas
break. We are looking for a location that has advanced terrain, but
are concerned that skiing in Europe at that time of year will mean
poor conditions. Any suggestions as to where we could go that would
have the greatest likelihood of good snow? Any help will be
appreciated.

How about central Switzerland? If you're hiring a car, you'd give yourself
the choice between Engelberg and Andermatt (probably both good at that
time of year). If the snow's good, you may like to try Melchsee-Frutt
- the black down to the bottom (was open just after Christmas this year)
is pretty good.

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw ais@