Candlelight Ski

Old December 17th 03, 03:18 AM
Greg Fangel

Default Candlelight Ski

Ok, everyone....let's hear your experience with candlelight skis.

I organized one a few years ago and I'm doing it again. I learned a few
things, the last time around.

I'm looking for pointers on the candles and luminaires. I plan to put
candles in a white sack filled with about 4-5" of snow to hold it down. The
candle will be stuck into the snow in the bottom of the sack. I heard that
plumber's candles (3cm x 11cm) work the best. The last time that I did this
we used tea light candles. They didn't work very good at all.

What has your experience been with the candles and luminaires?

I know about the ice luminaires that they use at the Book Across the Bay Ski
Race in Ashland, WI, but they seem like a lot of work to make and haul
around.

Thanks for your help.

Greg Fangel

Old December 17th 03, 03:43 AM
Chequama Mama

All I know about is ice luminaries.

If you're interested in more information, I can tell you more about the
ice variety of luminary. They are indeed a lot of work, though the BATB
crew have pretty much gotten it down to a science. I'm pretty sure
that they use tea lights, but I could check with them on that.

Paul

--
Remove the caps to reply
Nordic Nuts

Old December 17th 03, 11:05 AM
Rob Bradlee

The local place out here uses glow stick type lights that folks can
hang around their necks. Don't throw much light, but look way cool as
a group skis along. We had a candlelight ceremonial lap two years ago
when one of our older skiers died.

Rob Bradlee

--- Greg Fangel wrote:
[...]

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training