Anybody training?

Old October 13th 05, 11:33 AM

I've been biking a ton. Closing in on 4,000 miles which is a lot for
me. I keep it fresh by riding my road bikes, cyclocross bike, mountain
bike, single speed mountain bike and the neighbor's gas powered Yamaha
Vino (not counting that toward the miles) which does 30mph if I duck
down behind the console for the aero effect... I ride dirt trails,
single track, asphalt, double track, railroad service roads, gravel
roads, you name it. Another thing I like to do is discover single track
paths through Saint Paul and it's suburbs. You'd be surprised at how
many little paths are out there. How can I afford so many bikes? I buy
frames and parts at bike swaps, on sale from mail order catalogs and on
eBay. Then, I assemble the bikes myself. As for rollerskiing, once a
week in October. I'll crank it up by rollerskiing two days a week in
November. While I don't bike in the rain, I will rollerski in a light
rain or drizzle. All the training isn't helping my weight though. I'm
170 lbs when I should be about 162... Although, I don't care about
getting faster anymore... I'm just trying to maintain and beat my
buddies once in a while. I think I might be able to take Wenner in golf
now...

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT

Old October 13th 05, 12:17 PM
DMK

Training for me has gone in waves.

April, buy a new road bike, rd bike every chance I get. Mid-June remember I
have singed up for a two-day trail running festival, shelve the bike and try
to run as much as I can. Mid-July, back on the bike and think about
rollerskiing. August, still on hte bike thinking about roller skiing and
thinking about doing a half-marathon in Oct. Sept, finally starty
rolerskiing and ride not so much. Also in Sept remember that it is time to
do some inerval work. Mid-September, bag the idea of the half marathon, not
enough quality long running miles. Oct, get convinced that I should do a
half marathong (this weekend), so shelve the rollerskis and get back to
running.

Overall I think my general fitness is good. Upper body strength is not what
it should be and I haven't rollerskied nearly as much as I have in recent
years. Should be interesting to see what happens this winter.

I will add that the spring, summer, and early fall I have described is what
I love about summer. From mid-Novermber to mid-April (Gene you should have
moved to the Keweenaw), all I do (can do really) is ski. Don't get me
wrong, I love that and wouldn't change it for anything but I love that in
summer you have many more options for training/being active outside. Any
given day may find me: mtn biking, rollerskiing, trail running, road biking,
kayaking, canoeing, hiking. That variety is nice.

A final note, now that we have had our first dusting of snow and the ski
catalogs are starting to be delivered, I am drooling at the prospect of
skiing 6 days a week.

Dave

"Bjorn A. Payne Diaz" wrote in message
oups.com...
This group has been pretty dead, so I'll fire off a topic.

Each year, I keep trying the beer gut path to faster skiing. It seems
to be working so I'll stick with it.

I haven't done much rollerskiing this year. Should I be concerned?

I haven't done much intervals this year. Should I be concerned?

What have I been doing? Cycling baby. Road cycling and one mt bike ride
back in September.

Oh yeah, I ordered new skis today. (If you don't train more, get better
equipment.)

Jay (pipecleaner arms) Wenner

Old October 13th 05, 02:40 PM

Jay (pipecleaner arms) Wenner

Jay,

I'll trade you arms (I'm pretty strong, have to be to haul my big a..
up hills) for your VO2 and balance and I'll throw in 50lbs as a bonus.
If you will include having your coach give me race feeds like she did
at COLL a couple of years back I'll even teach you how to hit a high
fade with a 2iron off hardpack.

Decent training but a little hit and miss. More than last year but less
than two years ago. Roller ski a couple of times a week, some biking,
quite a bit of kayaking and lots of manual labor building a house. If
using a heavy nail gun overhead while putting in what seems like an
acre of tongue and groove ceilings helps my double poling classic
should be OK. I've also been trying to do some kind of intervals (4 x
4:00 at 88-92%) a couple times a week for the last two months but that
is the first thing to drop off when motivation is low. Right now I'm
trying to get more distance workouts in. A group of us (no longer the
50K club but more like the 50 yr old club) did a two hour ski at
Gateway last Sunday that led to a nap for me in the afternoon....can
you count naps?

John OC

Old October 13th 05, 03:02 PM

Gene (why was it I moved to the TC?) Goldenfeld

...for the theater of seasons, very livable big cities, strong arts and
music community, tons of bike paths, more lakes than you can count,
very active residents, vibrant business environment and the chance (
albeit a small one) to ski at the famed Comokollen if we ever get snow
again. :-)

If one can take a contraian (sp?) view. I always assume that the long
range forecast will be wrong. Back in the late 60's and early 70's I
would use the Rolling Stone album reviws to make my music choices.
Whenever they completey panned a new release I'd go right out and buy
it and was always pleased

A now mature revolutionary like your self should remember the
mantra...never trust the so-called experts...or in our current
setting..."all snow to the people"

peace...love...a foot of powder that is groomed quickly

John OC

Old October 13th 05, 04:37 PM
Ken Roberts

wrote
cycle 100-150 miles a week and run once a week

Even you, Andrey -- sure is a lot of XC skiers into bicycling this year.
With that little running, how are you going to win the Classic races?

I've been much more focused on bicycling this year than for a long time: 1
high-intensity indoor workout per week + 1 long ride on the tandem with
Sharon. Also I try to get in 1 inline-skating session, but not more than
medium-intensity. Zero rollerskiing, but I do some indoor upper-body indoors
1 per week, and on resistance machines at the Y with Sharon.

I thought I'd do more with skating, and I did a couple of long road-skate
tours around NYC + Hudson valley over the summer, but then my main skating
partner went off to a meditation retreat and when he came back he wasn't
into serious tours any more.

Then Sharon got the idea she'd like to try some spectacular mountain roads
on our tandem bicycle. So that meant I had to get strong on the bike to do
my (disproportional) share. The good news was that over Labor Day week we
made it through the Sella Ronda, a loop over four mountain passes. The bad
news was that she liked it, so she wants us to keep training that way so
we can do even bigger mountain routes next year.

Sooner than that is our Thanksgiving week trip, where she's planning us to
ride our tandem along the Amalfi coast (I checked ahead, and guess what:
hilly) and around the streets of Rome ("seven hills"?). Looks like I have to
keep up my bicycle hill training for another month -- the price of
maintaining along-term relationship. So while you guys are having fun on the
snow and learning the latest tricks at some Thanksgiving ski workshop,
visualize me struggling to pedal up some steep hill with my wife on the
back of the bike, or playing "survival on the streets".

Two skating workshops was a bright spot for this summer. The most famous
skating coach in the U.S. and the most famous skating coach in Canada each
came to Manhattan. Everybody who told me that workshops are really helpful
for technique was right -- I learned a lot. Now I feel like I'm not just
tracing the S-curves but getting lots of extra power from my double-push
stroke. It'll be interesting to see fi I can transfer that to snow. But that
and any rollerskiing or serious ski-specific training will have to wait
until early December.

Ken

Old October 13th 05, 04:40 PM
Bob

"Bjorn A. Payne Diaz" wrote in message
oups.com...

Each year, I keep trying the beer gut path to faster skiing. It seems
to be working so I'll stick with it.

me too. high-fat, high-cocktail diet for me.

I haven't done much rollerskiing this year. Should I be concerned?

zero RS for me.

Almost all my work is in the gym (convenient). Weights, core work, and of
course, hours and hours on the treadmill (iPod shuffle is awesome - the food
network is my motivation). The summer has gone quite well:
minimum of injury breaks;
got started on the program early July;
hitting my peak volume (7 hours / week) right now;
November will see higher intensity and lower volume;
Just got new short Pacers to use as rock/crust skis;
hope to learn to swim like a fish.

Bob
waiting for certain people to age into the 50-54 group so I can kick some 45
year old butt. Mark, you know who you are ;-)

Old October 13th 05, 05:24 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

"quite a bit of kayaking and lots of manual labor building a house. If
using a heavy nail gun overhead while putting in what seems like an
acre of tongue and groove ceilings helps my double poling classic
should be OK."

Well, well, well. I put in two slabs of concrete this summer. Sounds
easy until I say that I dug if all with a shovel...probably 5 cubic
yards of dirt, and stored the dirt in wood containers in the back yard.
Also moved dozens of granite pavers (think of Pairs-Roubix). That got
me set to dig a 50 ft trench for three conduits. Of course the trench
kept caving in and I had to redig it for the inspector. If a sore back
makes me faster, watch out, because I'm screaming.

BTW, is that a 2 iron off of concrete or tar?

Jay (don't make John look up) Wenner

Old October 13th 05, 08:57 PM

Ken, I just couldn't stand the temptation to start cycling when I move
to CA. Now I am completely hooked. Plus, last year I did not do any
rollerskiing at all and still had my best Birkie. So I figured whatever
gets my ass out of the door is good for me.

In fact, we just purchased a tandem, too. Planning to try it this
weekend.

As for the classic races - I just don't do them. I can't let skinnyski
beat me, can't let that happen.

Old October 13th 05, 11:36 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:37:45 GMT, "Ken Roberts"
wrote:

but then my main skating
partner went off to a meditation retreat
and when he came back he wasn't
into serious tours any more.

That's funny.

JFT