BOA Boot Lacing System

Old November 5th 03, 03:31 AM
Chet Hayes

Default BOA Boot Lacing System

I'm in the market for a new pair of boots. I looked at a pair of
Northwave Sanchez boots that use the new BOA cable lacing system.
Instead of conventional laces, the BOA system uses a thin metal cable
that is wound around a round ratchet device near the top of the boot.
To tighten the lacing, you wind the metal cable in with the ratchet
knob.

It's not only quick to tighten/release, but it also tightened the
laces very uniformly all the way to the last lace, something that is
not easy to do with regular laces. Currently Northwave uses these on
the Quest and APX Sanchez, Vans offers it on Fargo and Contra. One of
the obvious questions is how durable the system is in the real world.

I'd be interested in any opinions from riders with any experience with
these.
Old November 6th 03, 07:34 PM
Arvin Chang

(Chet Hayes) wrote in message m...
I'm in the market for a new pair of boots. I looked at a pair of
Northwave Sanchez boots that use the new BOA cable lacing system.
Instead of conventional laces, the BOA system uses a thin metal cable
that is wound around a round ratchet device near the top of the boot.
To tighten the lacing, you wind the metal cable in with the ratchet
knob.

It's not only quick to tighten/release, but it also tightened the
laces very uniformly all the way to the last lace, something that is
not easy to do with regular laces. Currently Northwave uses these on
the Quest and APX Sanchez, Vans offers it on Fargo and Contra. One of
the obvious questions is how durable the system is in the real world.

I'd be interested in any opinions from riders with any experience with
these.

You might also want to consider Salomon Boots, they have a "quick
pull" lacing system that is pretty fast to get in an out of. Instead
of tying the laces, there are two "locking" eyelets, because of this
design (which all the other eyelets are looser) you are pretty much
guaranteed even tighteness in each of the two regions (below and above
ankle). To get out, you jsut pop the lock out of the eyelet hook at
the top and above the ankle... meaning you usually get in and out
within 30 seconds.

I had a couple of pairs of Salomons and I like the lacing system a
lot, my complaint was that the boot's durability isn't the greatest
(lasts about 20-30 days before beginning to break down). Also the
boots is better for wide feet. I'm now trying out DCShoes, will let
people know after I've ridden them more.

--arvin
Old November 9th 03, 07:29 PM
Lord Boots

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
I'm in the market for a new pair of boots. I looked at a pair of
Northwave Sanchez boots that use the new BOA cable lacing system.
Instead of conventional laces, the BOA system uses a thin metal cable
that is wound around a round ratchet device near the top of the boot.
To tighten the lacing, you wind the metal cable in with the ratchet
knob.

Chet,

K2 is doing a line this year with a BOA on the LINER, and not the outside.
Most of the riders at the pro camp at Timberline this year were wearing
them. The big problem with the BOA on the outside is that when you ratchet
down your straps tight, and start flexing, the boa will tighten on the top
of the foot, real hard, and the straps will hold it there. You have a
tendency to torture your feet with the external BOA. With the internal BOA,
you set your laces the way you want (on the outside), and ratchet the liner
to the way you want it, and it's less likely to bind and pinch inside. You
might have a problem getting the K2 boots, as they've sold out of most of
the shops in WA that I've seen.

Boots