Best time to Purchase airline ticket

Old December 15th 04, 06:58 PM
Walt

Default Best time to Purchase airline ticket

Drew Cutter wrote:

Going out to Toas and angelfire in February. Southwest seems to have
very limited times to fly out and back. When is best time to purchase
ticket to fly out to Albuquerque ? now or later

Who the heck knows? I booked tickets to Albequerque a couple of weeks
ago, but before I did I spent about a month watching the cheapest fares
bounce around from about $175 to $400. (RT from DTW). A couple of times
I was ready to book only to find that the fare had gone up $100 while I
was waiting. Eventually I saw a good fare ($225) and bit before it got
away.

So, the only thing I can say is watch the Sabre interface of your choice
(i.e. Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.) and buy when the right price comes
along. Start looking now, and don't wait until the last minute.

Note that Southwest isn't in the Sabre database so you'll have to look
at SW fares on their website.

--
//-Walt
//
Old December 15th 04, 09:20 PM
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:
Drew Cutter wrote:

Going out to Toas and angelfire in February. Southwest seems to have
very limited times to fly out and back. When is best time to purchase
ticket to fly out to Albuquerque ? now or later

Who the heck knows? I booked tickets to Albequerque a couple of weeks
ago, but before I did I spent about a month watching the cheapest fares
bounce around from about $175 to $400. (RT from DTW). A couple of times
I was ready to book only to find that the fare had gone up $100 while I
was waiting. Eventually I saw a good fare ($225) and bit before it got
away.

So, the only thing I can say is watch the Sabre interface of your choice
(i.e. Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.) and buy when the right price comes
along. Start looking now, and don't wait until the last minute.

Or you can wait till the last minute, and grab an empty seat cheap. Of
course you need a certain amount of flexibility to work this angle; like
not caring when or where you go.

Old December 16th 04, 02:55 AM
Mary Malmros

Bob Lee wrote:

Drew Cutter wrote:

I guess i missed the good deal . darn . I plan to watch the travel sites
for the best prices. Thanks.

Jeez, got Google?
http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/fd_air.html

Hurry. The good fares go fast.

What a shame they don't fly into Denver.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old December 16th 04, 04:02 AM
klaus

Mary Malmros wrote:
Bob Lee wrote:

Jeez, got Google?
http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/fd_air.html

Hurry. The good fares go fast.

What a shame they don't fly into Denver.

Not really. If you're a skier, anyway.

-klaus

Old December 16th 04, 11:07 AM
Mary Malmros

klaus wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

Jeez, got Google?
http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/fd_air.html

Hurry. The good fares go fast.

What a shame they don't fly into Denver.

Not really. If you're a skier, anyway.

I am a skier with family in Boulder. I'd like to fly into Denver. I
can understand why people with no families don't particularly care where
they fly.

Old December 16th 04, 03:20 PM
klaus

Mary Malmros wrote:
klaus wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

Jeez, got Google?
http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/fd_air.html

Hurry. The good fares go fast.

What a shame they don't fly into Denver.

Not really. If you're a skier, anyway.

I am a skier with family in Boulder. I'd like to fly into Denver. I
can understand why people with no families don't particularly care where
they fly.

Skiers don't have families?

-klaus

Old December 16th 04, 03:43 PM
tg

"Walt" wrote in message
Drew Cutter wrote:

Stuff cut here
Note that Southwest isn't in the Sabre database so you'll have to look at
SW fares on their website.

--
//-Walt
//
// There is no Volkl Conspiracy

I use Sidestep (www.sidestep.com) which does a great job of searching PLUS
it includes Southwest in all of its searches. It also searches multiple
connection flights, which may be less desireable but much cheaper. It also
has hotel and car choices on it.

Tim

Old December 16th 04, 04:37 PM
Mary Malmros

klaus wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

klaus wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

Jeez, got Google?
http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/fd_air.html

Hurry. The good fares go fast.

What a shame they don't fly into Denver.

Not really. If you're a skier, anyway.

I am a skier with family in Boulder. I'd like to fly into Denver. I
can understand why people with no families don't particularly care where
they fly.

Skiers don't have families?

Some don't; others go on a leave of absence every ski season ;-)

Old December 16th 04, 04:41 PM
Dave M

klaus wrote:

snip

Skiers don't have families?

-klaus

Not on powder days -- which are things that I have only heard about this
year so far. Maybe I *should sacrifice some Tai Cheese with the beer
tonite.

Dave M

Old December 16th 04, 06:31 PM
uglymoney

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:43:16 -0500, "tg"
wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message
Drew Cutter wrote:

Stuff cut here
Note that Southwest isn't in the Sabre database so you'll have to look at
SW fares on their website.

--
//-Walt
//
// There is no Volkl Conspiracy

I use Sidestep (www.sidestep.com) which does a great job of searching PLUS
it includes Southwest in all of its searches. It also searches multiple
connection flights, which may be less desireable but much cheaper. It also
has hotel and car choices on it.

Sidestep is loaded with all sorts of spyware so make sure you spend a
half hour cleaning your computer after running it.

nate