snowboarders

Old January 11th 05, 09:23 PM

Default snowboarders

Do snowboarders ski and do skiers snowboard? Some do both and others
are just to comfy with there skiing or snowboarding, that they don't
try both. I think before you can make assumptions, on snowboarders
ruining the slopes. You should step out of your comfort zone and try
something new. We boarders don't always rag on the skiers, unless they
start with us. I have skied and snowboarded and they both tear up the
slopes, if your willing to do new and exciting tricks! Its not a
question of who does it because we all do it.We all have to share the
space, so live with it and don't complain.

Old January 11th 05, 09:26 PM

You have a point on that. Snowboarding is a newer sport than skiiing,
so a lot of them tend to be younger and stupider, but that doesn't mean
that they are all that way.

Old January 11th 05, 10:04 PM
JvD

wrote in message
oups.com...
Do snowboarders ski and do skiers snowboard? Some do both and others
are just to comfy with there skiing or snowboarding, that they don't
try both. I think before you can make assumptions, on snowboarders
ruining the slopes. You should step out of your comfort zone and try
something new. We boarders don't always rag on the skiers, unless they
start with us. I have skied and snowboarded and they both tear up the
slopes, if your willing to do new and exciting tricks! Its not a
question of who does it because we all do it.We all have to share the
space, so live with it and don't complain.

I do both... well, I *did* until my board got stolen; now I ski only. I
think my biggest complaint is the fact that many (not all) boarders
congregate in the middle of a run, either to strap their board on, or to
wait for a hit (read:jump). Very often it's right in a really technical
area, like at the landing of another jump, or just where you want to head.

If a few more boarders would think before hunkering down, I think the
animosity would be a lot less.

As for "tearing up the hill", yeah, it's cuz it's easy to get anywhere on
the mountain with a snowboard. Too steep? Just side slide. Unfortunately
that mows down any nice bumps, or just makes them dang icy.

Old January 12th 05, 03:17 AM
ant

"Walt" wrote in message news:NgYEd.134
Stop scraping and we'll stop complaining.

It's definitely possible to snowboard without heel scraping.
Unfortunately, too many boarders don't seem to understand this - they
think that because they can heel scrape the steepest slopes in the place
they are some kind of advanced athlete.

the heelslide is the first thing I learned in snowboarding. It's like
snowplough in skiing. And I reckon it has a lot to do with icing in spots
where it suddenly gets steep.

Note that it's also possible to sideslip on skis and scrape off just s
much snow as a heel-scraping snowboarder. The difference is that a skier
who's sideslipping *knows* he's not really skiing.

slideslipping is almost impossible for a beginner skiier. they can only do
it when they are in parallel, and by that time they can ski, kind-of.

I've taken to dropping the shoulder when passing a boarder who might
suddenly turn on the heelside!
it's lots of fun if they suddenly do. Well, I have fun.

ant

Old January 12th 05, 08:53 AM
uglymoney

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:17:28 +1100, "ant"
wrote:

I've taken to dropping the shoulder when passing a boarder who might
suddenly turn on the heelside!
it's lots of fun if they suddenly do. Well, I have fun.

I've had too many collisions and have given up. I won't pass a
boarder on the healside. They win.

nate
Old January 12th 05, 01:46 PM
Mary Malmros

ant wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message news:NgYEd.134

Stop scraping and we'll stop complaining.

It's definitely possible to snowboard without heel scraping.
Unfortunately, too many boarders don't seem to understand this - they
think that because they can heel scrape the steepest slopes in the place
they are some kind of advanced athlete.

the heelslide is the first thing I learned in snowboarding. It's like
snowplough in skiing.

Exactly. It's a remedial move that, if you're doing it, should be
telling you that you need to stay on the greens.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old January 12th 05, 01:47 PM
Mary Malmros

wrote:

I've taken to dropping the shoulder when passing a boarder who might
suddenly turn on the heelside!
it's lots of fun if they suddenly do. Well, I have fun.

I've had too many collisions and have given up. I won't pass a
boarder on the healside. They win.

Collision games are pointless and dumb. Even if you're totally
antisocial and don't give a damn about hurting someone else, they can
always backfire, and then you're the one going down on the sled.