Thermal Fit Liners

Old December 17th 05, 12:22 AM

Default Thermal Fit Liners

I bought my Garmont Excursion G-Fit touring boots two seasons ago at
the Berkeley Marmot shop where they did a nice job of thermal fitting
the boots. Paul used a toe cap taped over my liner sock to create a
little extra room around my toes. I have done all day, week long tours
in the boots with no feet problems.

Last year, my wife special ordered the similar Women's Garmont
Excursion G-fit touring boots at our local shop. They carry Alpine
gear but special ordered the Excursions because they did not stock
Telemark or backcountry Garmont boots. The local shop did NOT use a
toe cap when they thermal fitted my wife's boots. After a couple of
days of all day touring (8 hour days) her toes eventualy turned black
and her toenails fell out a couple of months latter.

Should the shop have used a toe cap to add room over my wife's foot
when they thermal fitted her boots?

Edgar

Old December 20th 05, 04:16 PM

I bought my first pair long time ago... and Paul was the guy who fitted
them for me.

Since then I've fitted my own, using the kitchen stove. Its pretty
damned easy to do. Set the temp to directions, fit one liner at a time.

Rather than a fancy schmancy toe cap from shoe rubber ala Paul, I just
use a socked doubled back on itself a couple/three times so its all
thick over the toes.

I wonder if your wife's boots aren't too short though. It sounds like
the plastic bellows might be hitting her toes at the nail line... I've
done this a time or three in hard genuflect falls where you fall
forward and the boot pinches down hard on the toes. OUCH!

Wearing boots that are too large or too small seems like it can cause
this... the place where the boot bends doesn't line up where the foot
bends.

I use AT more often than not these days... no more toe pinch!

(take em to Paul, pay him to fit her... is the answer you might be most
comfortable with... tell him about her toenails and of course listen to
his advice. Dude knows his ****.

DMT