Aero Fenders

Old November 5th 03, 02:03 PM
Dell Todd

Default Aero Fenders

http://www.nordicskiracer.com/Equipment/fenders.asp

Over on Mike Muha's cool nordic site, Randy Kessler has posted an
article on fenders for the V2 Aeros, which don't come with OEM
fenders.

I should have made fenders right away after I saw the problem; it got
my boots extremely filthy. This is unacceptable. A lot of the fall is
wet (especially now with 4-6" of rain in the last 4 days). Wet with
leaf bits in the mix. Of course you need fenders.

My first plan was, like Randy to call & inquire about fenders. No joy.

Next plan was to form a coporation (V2AeroFendersWorldwideInc.com),
purchase tooling and sell the fenders.

Then I was struck with reality, and I knew I had to just cobble some
together. But I never started the project. I needed to see Randy's
instructions, along with a suitably wet forecast for all this week.
That got me off my duff, and I took an evening (2 hrs) and less than
$5 for an acrylic window pane, some sheet metal screws & lockwashers.
Now I have four fenders (even over the speed reducer). Took em out
last nite in the real, real wet, and it works ! Now I can clean my
boots of that ugly dark smudge up the achilles, and have a prayer that
it will stay clean.
Old November 5th 03, 05:00 PM
Serge

Have you thought about even simpler solution:

Take plastic grocery bag, step in it, tack it under cuff buckle and
clip in. Bingo!

If it is so wet as you describe it, boots get trashed even with fenders.
Little duct tape can help to secure baggy if it flops around too much.
Old November 5th 03, 06:49 PM
Rob Bradlee

--- Dell Todd wrote:
http://www.nordicskiracer.com/Equipment/fenders.asp

Over on Mike Muha's cool nordic site, Randy Kessler has posted an
article on fenders for the V2 Aeros, which don't come with OEM
fenders.

Nice article! Thanks for the pointer. I just made a fender out of tin
flashing - very easy to work with. I just duct taped the sucker onto
the ski. Won't hold up for a long time, but working for the short
term. Looks like wet roads tonight so I'll add a fender to the other
ski and give them a try.

Rolling in the dark on wet roads covered with leaves ...sigh, I love
November.

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old November 6th 03, 01:34 AM
Dell Todd

Have you thought about even simpler solution:

Take plastic grocery bag, step in it, tack it under cuff buckle and
clip in. Bingo!

If it is so wet as you describe it, boots get trashed even with fenders.
Little duct tape can help to secure baggy if it flops around too much.

Hehe...bags around the feet weren't cool in 2nd grade when our Moms
made us wear them, and they aren't cool now. But they did of course
keep the feet warmer. Being a rollerskier is enough of a freakshow as
it is.

I wonder if sealing in the juices during a workout is a good thing ?

I'll admit it though; one time before I got around to manufacturing
the fenders, I tried to saran wrap the boots. With duct tape it may
have worked. But most of it peeled off pretty quickly. And the wet
dirty saran wrap was gross to remove. The fenders - I like 'em. It
really was simple & effective.
Old November 6th 03, 03:18 PM
Chris Cline

--0-487658177-1068135212=:54408

If you're handy with a sewing machine (or know someone who is), it's fairly easy to make an overboot out of some sort of waterproof material, then cut holes to allow the boot binding contact.

I made some similar "dust-covers" for my boots for rollerskiing on a playa in Nevada-- made them big enough to pull on over my boots (not exactly form fitting), with a drawstring cord to cinch them up over the top of the boots. Worked pretty well.

Chris Cline
SLC UT

Dell Todd wrote:
[...]

DIVIf you're handy with a sewing machine (or know someone who is), it's fairly easy to make an overboot out of some sort of waterproof material, then cut holes to allow the boot binding contact./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVI made some similar "dust-covers" for my boots for rollerskiing on a playa in Nevada-- made them big enough to pull on over my boots (not exactly form fitting), with a drawstring cord to cinch them up over the top of the boots.  Worked pretty well./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChris Cline/DIV
DIVSLC UT/DIV
DIVBRBIDell Todd >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"> Have you thought about even simpler solution:BR> BR> Take plastic grocery bag, step in it, tack it under cuff buckle andBR> clip in. Bingo!BR> BR> If it is so wet as you describe it, boots get trashed even with fenders.BR> Little duct tape can help to secure baggy if it flops around too much.BRBRHehe...bags around the feet weren't cool in 2nd grade when our MomsBRmade us wear them, and they aren't cool now. But they did of courseBRkeep the feet warmer. Being a rollerskier is enough of a freakshow asBRit is.BRBRI wonder if sealing in the juices during a workout is a good thing ? BRBRI'll admit it though; one time before I got around to manufacturingBRthe fenders, I tried to saran wrap the boots. With duct tape it mayBRhave worked. But most of it peeled off pretty quickly. And the wetBRdirty saran wrap was gross to remo!
ve. The
fenders - I like 'em. ItBRreally was simple & effective.BRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
a href="http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree"Protect your identity with Yahoo! Mail AddressGuard/a
--0-487658177-1068135212=:54408--

Old November 10th 03, 01:51 PM
Serge

Bags are working fine and look OK too.

If you are using Salomon boot, thread the handle part of the
bag between cuff stiffener and boot in the back of the boot using
crochet hook (yes, it is that tight).

Put the front handle under a cuff buckle and close it. Pull on
both handles and cut them off; bag stretches neatly around the boot.
I use couple of rubber bands to secure it.

I can go out in a downpour and when I come back the only clean part
on me is the boot! No fenders, however well designed, would ever do that.