Fantastic skiing

Old December 4th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default dumb as a brick

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

I read these threads and chuckle ... clip

polite way of putting it.

I have watched modern ski instructors. As a group, but
not always as individuals, they tend to over think and
over explain. A thousand or so years ago when I taught
skiing, my approach was pretty much show and do. I
'explained' as little as possible ... clip

Everyone learns differently, so a good teacher has a large toolbox.

Some decades ago I took a PhD physicist friend from the Lab out for a
little ad-hoc instruction trying to move him from skidded turns to
carving. He could not get the idea - nothing clicked. At lunch I cut a
ski from thin cardboard and showed him how the ski bent into an arc and
drew some vector force diagrams to show him were his cg and
center-of-pressure should be in various parts of the turn. After lunch
he could carve from first run.
Magic.

It might have been the Urquel kicking in.

But yeah: show/do is often the best instruction method, particularly
with young people who haven't channelized yet.

Old December 4th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article
,
taichiskiing wrote:

On Dec 3, 10:22 am, Dave Cartman wrote:
In article
,

taichiskiing wrote:
Dude, seriously. You are the worst Tai Chi proponent ever. You should
rename your style. Maybe "The Way of the Brick." or "The Way of the
Parrot," or maybe even "The Way of the of The PeeWee Herman."

Dude, seriously, when you present yourself as a netkook, you will be
treated as a netkook.

EXACTLY! Finally! Thank you! This must be how Annie Sullivan felt.

Thanks for your corporation.

And thank you for the perfect "Tai Chi Skiing" response.

What can I say to that other than "searsucker pickles."
Old December 4th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 12:42:40 -0500, downhill
wrote this crap:

My aim is to move my race shop north to be near a mountain so I can ski
regularly and help out with the mountain ski team. I want my son to be
able to ski regularly if he races he races. There is a kart at the shop
with his name on it, so he might catch the bug.

Good for you! I wish you and your son the best of luck. As a racer
myself, I know how competitive it is. I hope he wins many awards, and
brings honor and glory, and much treasure to your family.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old December 4th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

wrote this crap:

My aim is to move my race shop north to be near a mountain so I can ski
regularly and help out with the mountain ski team. I want my son to be
able to ski regularly if he races he races. There is a kart at the shop
with his name on it, so he might catch the bug.

Good for you! I wish you and your son the best of luck. As a racer
myself, I know how competitive it is. I hope he wins many awards, and
brings honor and glory, and much treasure to your family.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me

thanks
My partner raced in the original can-am series, this coming year is his
50th year of formula sports car racing.
Old December 5th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Dec 4, 8:26 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message
On Dec 3, 8:10 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message

When you have an adversary openy praised your techniques on the 'net,
yes, THAT is a big testimony.

He didn't praise your techniques. He said you skied faster than he did. He
said,
IIRC, that he could not really see how your "technique" was anything special.

Yup, he may still need some more experience to fully appreciate the
full potential/capability of Flatboarding; he couldn't really keep up
with me if I do ski. Nevertheless, his elegant academic skiing style
is better than most skiers on the slope I've seen.

Anyone who skis as much as you do had better be able to ski well. That says
NOTHING about your "taichiskiing" "technique" as you claim here.

You are living in denials.

Again, the Pot calling the kettle black.

Not really, I know your ski world, but you don't know mine; "you are
blacker, and you are living in denials."

IS
Old December 5th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Default Fantastic skiing

... On Dec 3, 8:14 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"taichiskiing" wrote in message

Actually, some of them do learn, from never-ever to black diamond
rider, in one Chrismas vacation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv6hy3ohtjI

Wow! He's 10x the rider you are!

Not a single wildly waving arm.

"You are living in denials."

Pot, kettle, black.

Not really, since he was my student, so it proves my teaching works.

Old December 5th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Dec 4, 9:42 am, downhill wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

After that it became apparent that IS thoroughly
enjoyed trolling you folks and so I stayed out of
it.

My opinion is that there is nothing special about
IS's skiing as an expert skier. However he achieves
his own personal Nivarnah is immaterial. He has a
real joy in skiing and his background suggests a
way to explain it. His Nivarnah is no different than
ours.

He may well have something in a teaching method.
Eastern philosophy shows that you can learn something
really well without the need to cerebralize (over-think).

I have watched modern ski instructors. As a group, but
not always as individuals, they tend to over think and
over explain. A thousand or so years ago when I taught
skiing, my approach was pretty much show and do. I
'explained' as little as possible and I tried to impart
the sheer joy of skiing to students at an early stage.
I wanted them as hooked as I was. I wanted them to be
as safe as they could be, but not hampered by thoughts
of crashes.

It becomes clearer now, part of my perspective was my aunt who died a
few months ago was a teacher who had devoted her professional life to
education. She had become the first female to be chairman of the board
of the American chemical society this is an example of a teacher.

Chinese Confucius' teaching, which covers all aspects of humanities,
has 2,500 years history. Though failed miserably, "no child left
behind" was inspired from his teaching philosophy.

Scratchy's claim to teach people was a revolting thought as most people
encourage learning and not berating the person as he could not understand.

Only in America I see students fail their responsibilities/grades and
blame it on the teachers.

No, you are neither my student nor come to my posts seeking
understanding of my techniques but try to berate me as evidenced in
this and other posts, and end up berating yourself, as you just
realize how you have been exposed.

I have played, coached and managed club teams to pro teams I have seen
most methods and budgets none of his methods make any sense. I have
worked in japanese gardens raised koi and water gardens and bamboo for
close to 20 years had many international visitors that were a little
involved in eastern ways and culture and none had any traits that
matched him.

The best reference in Zen practice and teaching for you Westerners is,
imo, the "Zen in the art of archery," by Eugen Herrigel, which did not
mentioned any of the activities that you've mentioned above. What
makes you think you know about the "true" Zen practice?

But since I have been made aware of his true life style as
a troll I will drop this subject, sorry for the noise. I look for new
methods and ideas but you have to be able to flag the bad ones.

What a noise it is. If you don't learn from the past to improve
yourself internally, the history bounds to happen again. We see...

IS
Old December 5th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"taichiskiing" wrote in message

Anyone who skis as much as you do had better be able to ski well. That
says
NOTHING about your "taichiskiing" "technique" as you claim here.

You are living in denials.

Again, the Pot calling the kettle black.

Not really, I know your ski world, but you don't know mine; "you are
blacker, and you are living in denials."

OK. Clearly describe my "ski world". Let's see if you can say what precisely,
you "know".

Old December 5th 08, 11:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 18:49:59 -0500, downhill
wrote this crap:

Good for you! I wish you and your son the best of luck. As a racer
myself, I know how competitive it is. I hope he wins many awards, and
brings honor and glory, and much treasure to your family.

thanks

You're welcome.

My partner raced in the original can-am series, this coming year is his
50th year of formula sports car racing.

You should post some pics of his awards.

Old December 5th 08, 12:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

wrote this crap:

Good for you! I wish you and your son the best of luck. As a racer
myself, I know how competitive it is. I hope he wins many awards, and
brings honor and glory, and much treasure to your family.

thanks

You're welcome.

My partner raced in the original can-am series, this coming year is his
50th year of formula sports car racing.

You should post some pics of his awards.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me

1st driver to win in a major race in a Shelby cobra, it was at Lime Rock
in 63 of course if your a Chevrolet dealers it killed your chances of
ever having gm factory support with your racing.
This race win is mentioned in Mark Donohue's Unfair Advantage.

I will try to put up some images, been working on archiving his race
career, logged about 300 race events so far