artificial classic tracks for summer training.

Old July 6th 05, 01:17 AM

I did that race in '00. It's always a mess one way or another.

Old July 7th 05, 09:24 PM
Tim Kelley

Has anyone ever heard of attempts at using the plastic matting used to
cover outruns for summer ski jumping ... for xc skiing?

Old July 8th 05, 06:12 AM

the tracks I showed were originally developed for summer ski jumping

Old July 8th 05, 07:17 PM
nordvind

It would be possible if the interest were there, to have several ski
tunnels built in the US. The expense of construction and maintenance
would be born by the tourists and athletes who pay to use the facility.
Less expensive, the artificial ski track material could be set up at
universities with ski teams who would allow public use to offset costs.
Up to now, no entrepeneur or consortium of interested investors has
been interested enough to devote start up capital and logistics studies
to building a ski tunnel. If the good citizens of the US of A became
cross-country ski fanatics, or at the very least more interested in
nordic skiing than they are presently, then a ski tunnel might become
reality. I won't hold my breath.

Old July 8th 05, 10:30 PM
Gary Jacobson

Why not contact the Lake Placid Olympic Authority to find out the source of
the tracks they use at the Mt. Van Hovenburg ski jump.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

"craig" wrote in message
the tracks I showed were originally developed for summer ski jumping

Can you buy them somewhere? Who developped them?

Old July 11th 05, 11:07 PM
Tim Kelley

Yes. But I said "outrun". I believe the tracks you showed are used
for "inruns". See: http://www.everslide.com/productse/ski_hills.html

Old July 12th 05, 10:21 AM
Anders

Tim Kelley wrote:

Yes. But I said "outrun". I believe the tracks you showed are used
for "inruns". See: http://www.everslide.com/productse/ski_hills.html

Way back when I was a wee lad the local newspaper had a big article
about summer skijumping (which was very much a new thing then). The
cost of the plastic outrun was quite high, which meant that summer
skijumping would probably be limited to the big training centers in
Lahti, Jyv=E4skyl=E4 and Kuopio.

However, local enthusiasts had discovered that there was a highly
affordable ersatz solution for use in the club=B4s small hill and were
of the opinion that the club=B4s junior jumpers would greatly benefit of
an opportunity to jump throughout the year. Therefore they hoped that
people wouldn=B4t throw their used toothbrushes into the rubbish bin,
but bring them to local collection points.

(I cannot remember the year, but I=B4m quite sure it was in April...)

Anders

Old July 18th 05, 12:28 PM

did we get any closer to who made this and how can my club get it?

All I have so far is "300 meters of artificial classic tracks have been
put in Ostrov, near
Pskov, to allow Russian skiers and biathelets train on real skis during
the summer. The metal-silicon base for the tracks has been designed by
Russian scientists."

http://skisport.ru/photos/view.php?v=2&uid=1680
http://www.skisport.ru/news/index.php?news=1978

Old July 18th 05, 08:04 PM

Try posting to their newsgroup directly; I am sure they will be happy
to provide contact info of the guy/company who developed it.

http://skisport.ru/forum/subj.php?section=2

If you can't figure out how to register and post (it's in russian),
email me the post, , , and I can post it for
you.

There is a long discussion there, but I don't have the time to
translate it...

BTW, if you are serious about getting the tracks, you may want to
fly/drive to Pskov and take a look: you are in .no, aren't you? It's
not that far.