City of Lakes Loppet 2008

Old December 14th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
tassava

Default City of Lakes Loppet 2008

I just registered for the City of Lakes Loppet in February here in
Minneapolis, and I'm eager to learn some inside info about the course
- significant hills (up or down), bad stretches, etc. - as well as any
hints as to the general atmosphere of the race for a mid-pack citizen
racer.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thank you.

Christopher
Old December 14th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

It's available to ski. Well, not completely right now because,
according to reports on skinnyski.com, groomers messed up the chalet
side ("back nine"). But a lot is currently available and more as
winter develops. There is a course map, a note about course changes,
links to trail conditions, etc., at http://www.cityoflakesloppet.com/

Old December 14th 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Trailpatrol

On Dec 13, 9:55 pm, tassava wrote:
Any insights are appreciated.

Thank you.

Christopher

It would be rated a "moderate" course, because of the area from the
start to the point where you cross I-394. From there on it is flat, on
the lakes and is easy, fast skiing. The course starts with the longest
uphill in the race, about 200 meters, I think, up a gradual hill, and
out on to the rolling golf course. Nothing really radical there. Many
of the steepest spots were removed from the course because of the
potential for injury in icy conditions. From the golf course, the
trail heads south over some mild rolling hills, through a wooded
natural area, and then across the (snow-covered) bridge over 394. One
final downhill takes you out on Brownie Lake, and from that point, to
the finish you are following the chain of lakes to the finish.

You can ski the entire course right up until the week before the race,
when they shut it down to to prep for the event.

We'll see you there...we're the skiers in the red jackets/anoraks with
the white crosses on them.

Hans Erdman, WEMT
Ski Patrol Director
City of Lakes Loppet

Old December 14th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
tassava

On Dec 14, 8:04 am, Trailpatrol wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Hans! This is really valuable. I couldn't download the course
map (it kept coming up corrupted), but it opened today and I duly
printed a copy to study. It looks pretty V2-able, especially over the
lakes. I appreciate the help.
Old December 14th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
prenex

There's a google earth map he http://www.dbspatial.com/coll/lop2007.kmz