Where is the snow coming?

Old February 3rd 04, 06:00 AM
JLGSAK

Default Where is the snow coming?

Leaving for a 10 day trip this week to find the most likely place for new
powder. Checking out some area like Jackson,

Leaving for a 10 day ski trip through the Northern Rockies and hunting for the
places that will receive new power....

Can anyone predict, using weather forecasts and all the new tools, the most
likely Northern Rockies ski areas to be for busting the pow from Feb.4 to Feb
13

Thanks muchly.

Stu

Old February 3rd 04, 09:06 AM
klaus

JLGSAK wrote:
Can anyone predict, using weather forecasts and all the new tools,
the most likely Northern Rockies ski areas to be for busting the pow
from Feb.4 to Feb

No. HTH.

-klaus

Old February 3rd 04, 04:23 PM
Weather Machine

Best source for 0 to 48hrs
http://weather.unisys.com/eta/misc/eta_cum_snow.gif

Best source for 0 to 10 days
http://grads.iges.org/pix/prec1.html

Use the "percent of normal" map. It is the best for picking which place to
go. This shows Colorado and N New Mexico as the best for the next 10 days.
Northern Rockies look above normal, too, but not as much as CO and N. NM.

Old February 3rd 04, 04:57 PM
Paul Christofanelli

JLGSAK wrote:
: Leaving for a 10 day trip this week to find the most likely place for new
: powder. Checking out some area like Jackson,

Jackson's been pretty good this year, except for a high pressure spell
the first few weeks of January. Friend just got back from a visit there
Wed-Sunday and was fairly impressed with the snow, at least up higher
and some of the OB. Perhaps we're in a snow pattern for the next 2
weeks. I imagine Big Sky is also good, and you can give Targhee a shot.
Don't know where you're starting from, but Jackson to Utah (take 189
south through Kemmerer to I-80 towards Evanston (about 270 mi), or go
over Teton pass towards Idaho Falls, about 30 miles farther, but both
should get you there in under 5 hours). I think Big Sky is about 175
miles from Jackson, but it's really not near anything.

One Jackson trip we did about 12 or so years ago had us skiing breakable
crust there for 2 days while Utah got pounded, until we wised up and
decided the snow wasn't going up there. It was still good at
Alta/Snowbird 3 days after the storm (if you got off the beaten path) -
but it would've been better had we been there. The lure of Jackson was
just too strong for a while. Watch the weather patterns, check the
forecasts, be flexible.

-Paul C.
Old February 3rd 04, 07:46 PM
Paul Christofanelli

Weather Machine wrote:

: Best source for 0 to 48hrs
: http://weather.unisys.com/eta/misc/eta_cum_snow.gif

: Best source for 0 to 10 days
: http://grads.iges.org/pix/prec1.html

: Use the "percent of normal" map. It is the best for picking which place to
: go. This shows Colorado and N New Mexico as the best for the next 10 days.
: Northern Rockies look above normal, too, but not as much as CO and N. NM.

Nice maps! Looks like I should head to Oklahoma and Kansas for the best
precip (hopefully snow) in the next 2 days. How's the skiing in Topeka?

-PC