Samnaun

Old October 2nd 03, 06:09 PM
J-Ph

Default Samnaun

Has anyone here already been in this resort ? Any opinion on it ?
It seems there is a quite large ski domain (if you add Ischgl in Austria),
but I must say I had never heard of it until today.
I've read it is a "duty free" resort. Is housing duty free too ??
Is it expensive (compared to other Swiss and, say, French resorts) ?

JPh

Old October 2nd 03, 06:45 PM
Nigel

Hi
Quite an isolated place. Interesting drive upto the reosrt . Access to
the Ski area & Ischgl (UP & DOWN ) is by a double decker Cable car .
The Ischgl Ski area is fully accessable but you have to pay attention to
time otherwise its an overnight hotel in Ischgl or an expensive down
valley and up the other side by taxi !!! There is a very long run (over
9miles ) from top of Ischgl down to Samnaun (often crowed in high season
with the duty free tourists coming over from Ischgl) . This is quite
often closed in bad weather .

It is a duty free zone accesed via Austria but its actually in
Switzerland.

From my experince I would not say its any more expensive than Austria
in fact if I remember 1/2 litre beeer was cheaper than Austria .

Its a small town & a great place to buy CHEAP swiss products ie watches
. I saved 27%-30% on one purchase a few years back .

Cant comment on hotel prices

ANymore info email

Nigel

Old October 2nd 03, 08:06 PM
Simon Brown

"Nigel" wrote in message

It is a duty free zone accesed via Austria but its actually in
Switzerland.

In summer at least the Swiss road is open.

Simon the Nit Nurse

Old October 8th 03, 12:44 AM
J-Ph

"J-Ph" a écrit dans le message
news: ...
Has anyone here already been in this resort ? Any opinion on it ?
It seems there is a quite large ski domain (if you add Ischgl in Austria),
but I must say I had never heard of it until today.
I've read it is a "duty free" resort. Is housing duty free too ??
Is it expensive (compared to other Swiss and, say, French resorts) ?

Thanks (I can't see Nigel's answer here, but I found it thanks to google
group).

It seems Samnaun can be accessed by Switzerland and Austria as well.
I think I will take a train or a plane to Zürich, then train and bus to
Samnaun (4 hours).
Not a very convenient (nor fast) trip, but I hope it will be less crowded
than the Tarentaise (The trip is bound to be during French school
holiday period : 14-02 to 01-03).
Do you really think it will be less crowded there in this period ? Or maybe
it will be exactly the same as in France ?

Which week of february is likely to be the less crowded (3th or 4th) ?

JPh