Should I buy a pass again?

Old July 30th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
pigo

Default Should I buy a pass again?

I just got the letter from Alta. Since I'm only in SLC part time now
I wonder if I should bother. I think I only got about 12 days in last
season. Plus the days I let others use on the pass. I might be
happier without the "pressure" to get those days in. Perhaps 2000+ is
enough? Or course it's only $100 up front, insignificant.

Perplexed in Utah

Old July 30th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
The Real Bev

pigo wrote:

I just got the letter from Alta. Since I'm only in SLC part time now
I wonder if I should bother. I think I only got about 12 days in last
season. Plus the days I let others use on the pass. I might be
happier without the "pressure" to get those days in. Perhaps 2000+ is
enough? Or course it's only $100 up front, insignificant.

$100 is the cost of a nice bottle of wine, according to those who know
about that stuff. Personally, I'd go for the pass and a bottle of
Manischevitz extra-extra sweet.

Perplexed in Utah

Yeah, right!

--
Cheers, Bev
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

Old July 30th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
pigo

"The Real Bev" wrote in message

$100 is the cost of a nice bottle of wine, according to those who
know about that stuff. Personally, I'd go for the pass and a
bottle of Manischevitz extra-extra sweet.

I don't know. Here behind the zion curtain you can get some drinkable
stuff for about $25. In Europe the same quality cost about $5.

Perplexed in Utah

Yeah, right!

No. Really.

Cheers, Bev

Old August 3rd 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
pigo

"Yabahoobs" wrote in message
ups.com...
pigo wrote:
I just got the letter from Alta. Since I'm only in SLC part time
now
I wonder if I should bother. I think I only got about 12 days in
last
season. Plus the days I let others use on the pass. I might be
happier without the "pressure" to get those days in. Perhaps 2000+
is
enough? Or course it's only $100 up front, insignificant.

Perplexed in Utah

If you're not in SLC predominatly, seems like a lotta money down
the
tubes just for those few first hours of those few days you're able
make it up there.

I am in SLC. 25 mins. to Alta.

I only go to ski on good powder days. There are a few trips I make
with visitors to slide around with them, but I don't count those as
ski days. Another thing is that the pass is transferable so I can
help friends out with it once and a while.

Second half of those days is just dodging endless
tourists on a tracked up mountain.

I'm glad you think so. The good thing about that pass is that it's
cheaper than 1/2 day even if I go on one of those "tracked up"
afternoons. Not that I agree with you on the tracked up part, but
there is nothing wrong with deep crud either. Remember there are no
snowboards there.

I had to come to grips with the
fact that logic dictates I should not buy a Bird season pass...It
sucks, but it's the right move.

That was never a hard decision for me.

Old August 3rd 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
pigo

"AstroPax" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 12:58:27 -0400, "pigo"

wrote:

I just got the letter from Alta. Since I'm only in SLC part time
now
I wonder if I should bother. I think I only got about 12 days in
last
season. Plus the days I let others use on the pass. I might be
happier without the "pressure" to get those days in. Perhaps 2000+
is
enough? Or course it's only $100 up front, insignificant.

Perplexed in Utah

Maybe you should just get a "Silver Card".

That's the "pass" I was talking about. That's what I've had the last
few years. The Alta silver pass/card that is (not the ski utah silver
pass).

But I'm not even sure that I want the pressure to justify that. And
that only takes 5 days !!!!! How sad.

I pulled a groin or something in Jan. And it still hurts! Kinda in
the gut and the whole region when I lift a lot. I'm worried about
that too.

Old August 4th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier

JQ wrote:
(snip)

The groin issue will be with you for quiet some time. I tore a groin some
12 years ago and still get reminded of it every now and then. Stretch and
strengthen the area is all you can do. Using ice in the area isn't to much
fun but does help keep swelling and pain down some.

HAR! Retraction will occur.

Say hey, JQ

JQ
Dancing on the edge

..

Old August 4th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
pigo

"VtSkier" wrote in message

HAR! Retraction will occur.

I WAS IN THE POOL ! I WAS IN THE POOL !.......george castanza

Old August 4th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
pigo

The groin issue will be with you for quiet some time. I tore a
groin some 12 years ago and still get reminded of it every now and
then. Stretch and strengthen the area is all you can do. Using
ice in the area isn't to much fun but does help keep swelling and
pain down some.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

I'm not sure what I did. Tear seems accurate. It's right between the
legs and I had trouble walking for about a week. Never any discolor
or swelling (other than the usual :-0) but something is definetly not
right in that area where the legs and torso all come together. Wierd
thing is that it hurts kinda up in the gut belly button to ah too?
And it's usually more of a discomfort than a real hurt. The crotch
area feels more like a bruise lately. Sometimes I wonder if maybe
there isn't some sort of hernia? And I know going to the dr. will
cost me $300 for him to say "yep. you hurt it. be careful. bye. pay
the nurse on the way out."

Old August 4th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
JQ

"pigo" wrote in message
I'm not sure what I did. Tear seems accurate. It's right between the legs
and I had trouble walking for about a week. Never any discolor or swelling
(other than the usual :-0) but something is definetly not right in that
area where the legs and torso all come together. Wierd thing is that it
hurts kinda up in the gut belly button to ah too? And it's usually more of
a discomfort than a real hurt. The crotch area feels more like a bruise
lately. Sometimes I wonder if maybe there isn't some sort of hernia? And I
know going to the dr. will cost me $300 for him to say "yep. you hurt it.
be careful. bye. pay the nurse on the way out."

If it is a hernia you will have a small to large lump protruding. The
protrusion may not be constant, in the area of pain place your hand over it
and cough. If you feel something pushing out as you cough it may be a
hernia, if you do feel a protrusion I'd recommend getting it repaired. It
can get very painful especially if it ruptures.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old August 4th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Walt

JQ wrote:

If it is a hernia you will have a small to large lump protruding. The
protrusion may not be constant, in the area of pain place your hand over it
and cough. If you feel something pushing out as you cough it may be a
hernia, if you do feel a protrusion I'd recommend getting it repaired. It
can get very painful especially if it ruptures.

Is that what they're checking for in the turn-your-head-and-cough test?

I always figured they were just looking for an excuse to cop a feel.

//Walt