Tahoe Snowboarding Question

Old November 15th 03, 02:54 AM
Brian

Default Tahoe Snowboarding Question

Squaw has to be considered an advanced skier/boarder's paradise. I'd
probably avoid it if I were looking for blue runs. I think the Heavenly
suggestion is good, but again, avoid it like the plague on a weekend.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but for blue runs and proximity to South
Shore consider Sierra At Tahoe. Smaller than the others, but plenty to keep
an intermediate happy all day long. Check it out
http://www.sierratahoe.com/

Brian.

"Kevin Harper" wrote in message
om...
Hi, we are heading to Lake Tahoe in January. I am from the East Coast
and this will be my first trip to western ski resorts. We are
intermediate boarders and would like the best resorts for long fairly
flat runs. We are staying by Heavenly and were also thinking of
Kirkwood and Squaw. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old November 15th 03, 10:12 AM
slider

Can anyone recommend which of the "big six" Tahoe resorts to visit in
order to avoid the worst crowds over a weekend ? We're a group of lads
coming over from the UK for 9 days of boarding at the end of January
and don't wanna spend the weekend days stuck in traffic on the road or
on the snow... Kirkwood has a reputation for being more remote and
quieter but is this still the case?
We're staying in SLT so would it be easier just to go to the Nevada
side of Heavenly and board there over the weekend to save getting
stuck in traffic?
Mid-week I guess would be the best time to hit Squaw etc on the North
Shore...

Cheers for any advice
Old November 16th 03, 05:15 PM
Brian

Heavenly has got to be the worst for weekend crowds. Or maybe Northstar up
in North Shore. Aside from those, I'd say pick any of them. Squaw
included. Squaw is so large that even when it is "crowded" the lift lines
are minimal. You might get some conjestion at certain parts of the
mountain, but they'd be easy to avoid. Not so at the two aforementioned
resorts, though.

I believe Squaw and Alpine Meadows are now open!!

Have fun!

m...

Old November 17th 03, 04:16 PM
Brian

"4matic" wrote in message .com...
End of January crowds are not a problem.

True when its 50 degrees at the end of January like last year.

No telling how the weather will be this winter. But good snow will
draw good crowds.

Brian.
Old November 29th 03, 07:37 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

While pondering the Universe, (Kevin Harper) wrote
:

Hi, we are heading to Lake Tahoe in January. I am from the East Coast
and this will be my first trip to western ski resorts. We are
intermediate boarders and would like the best resorts for long fairly
flat runs. We are staying by Heavenly and were also thinking of

flat? I assuming you really mean to say not bumped, or at least groomed
every now and then.

I was out to Tahoe 2 years ago in March. It kinda sucks you are staying
down south as you may have problems getting north. Heavenly was the only
one I didn't ride at, based on recommendations that it is for skiiers
and has lots of flats that require you to unstrap.

Kirkwood was ok, but was a touch icy up on top compared to the others.
This should make you feel more at home Its a bit of a drive as
well, but not too bad. Also, keep your eyes and ears open, I noticed
people like to cut across runs there.

On the North, I would recommend Alpine Meadows, or if on a weekend,
Homewood. Homewood is a 'locals' kind of place and has some spectacular
views of the lake. My bad experience may not be typical, but keep an
eye on your gear around the lodge. I had some goggles swiped by a kid
while I was turned away at the bar. Alpine Meadows I thought was really
good. They were able to distribute the crowds very well and the terrain
was great. I really did not like Northstar. I felt like all I was
doing was riding lifts, and the runs I did do weren't that great.

Becuase of the distance and conditions, you might want to look at
booking a night up north. I stayed at Granlibankken. It was something
like 90 bucks for the room and got an awesome breakfast next morning too.

mike

ski travel question moon General 1 January 27th 04 10:25 PM
Tahoe Question Kevin General 2 November 25th 03 04:59 AM
snowboarding and a bad back [email protected] Snowboarding 7 November 8th 03 04:50 AM
Snowboarding certification in Whistler ? boardrider Snowboarding 1 October 13th 03 01:31 PM
Looking for Skiing & Snowboarding Screensavers / Wallpaper User Snowboarding 0 September 12th 03 06:45 PM