Pole length for skate rollerskiing?

Old October 8th 04, 01:01 AM
Everett Fee

Default Pole length for skate rollerskiing?

I have read that for dryland ski bounding the poles should be ~10 cm
shorter than the length that is right for classic skiing on snow. Is
there any similar simple formula for the length of poles when
rollerskiing?

I have been using poles ~10 cm shorter than the ones I use on snow
when I skate rollerski. The other day a friend advised me that some
technique problems she saw me struggling with might be related to
using poles that are too short.

Do you use the same pole length when skate rollerskiing that you use
on snow? How about when classic rollerskiing?

-Everett
Old October 8th 04, 01:38 AM
32 degrees

I use my classic poles now for skating while rollerskiing. Feels great and
seems to be closer to the length of pole that you get when you sink down 4
inches into snow. Plus, makes for an easy doublepole workout.

JK

om...

Old October 8th 04, 01:58 AM
Derick Fay

Everett Fee wrote:
I have read that for dryland ski bounding the poles should be ~10 cm
shorter than the length that is right for classic skiing on snow. Is
there any similar simple formula for the length of poles when
rollerskiing?

I have been using poles ~10 cm shorter than the ones I use on snow
when I skate rollerski. The other day a friend advised me that some
technique problems she saw me struggling with might be related to
using poles that are too short.

Do you use the same pole length when skate rollerskiing that you use
on snow? How about when classic rollerskiing?

-Everett

I just ordered rollerskis from Nordic Skater (in VT). The guy I spoke
to there recommended using poles 5 cm *longer* for skate rollerskiing
than on snow as the bottom of your foot is about that much higher off
the ground.

As I understand it the formula for bounding is in order to keep the
timing right given differences in stride length bounding vs. skiing.
Old October 8th 04, 03:59 PM
Hank Garretson

I just ordered rollerskis from Nordic Skater (in VT). The guy I spoke
to there recommended using poles 5 cm *longer* for skate rollerskiing
than on snow as the bottom of your foot is about that much higher off
the ground.

And what does he say about the fact that the ski poles don't penetrate the
pavement?

The rule of thumb I have heard and used to good effect is to use same
length pole rollerskiing as you use on snow. The boot offset is
compensated for by the pole not penetrating.

Ski Exuberantly,

Hank

Mammoth Lakes, Calif.

Old October 8th 04, 04:15 PM
Bob Larson

Do you use the same pole length when skate rollerskiing that you use

on snow? How about when classic rollerskiing?

The stock answer has been yes. Rollerskis are raised off
the ground, making the poles effectively shorter, but
snow skiing as the compensating effect of poles sinking into
the snow, also making the poles shorter. So
it is roughly a wash.

For snow skiing, you really have to measure from the
basket to the strap, and for rollerskiing you have
to measure from the ferrule tip to the grip and subtract the
platform height of the rollerski. There is enough
slop in there, particularly trying to guess where the basket
ends up relative to the top of your ski on well packed snow,
so who knows.

In the end, though, my poles DO feel shorter on snow
(same poles switched over to baskets) which makes me
think that maybe I should use a slightly shorter pole
on rollerskis, or maybe longer poles on snow, but
I'm leaning toward a small difference, like 2 or 3 cm.

-Bob
Old October 8th 04, 11:33 PM
Serge

The guy from Nordic Skater (VT) obviously hasn't done much rollerskiing.

Having roller poles 5cm longer than snow poles is ridiculous.

Luckily they are easy to shorten.

My rollerskiing poles are 5cm shorter than snow ones.
Not quite as short as 32degree's poles but getting there.
Old October 9th 04, 12:41 AM
Derick Fay

Serge wrote:
The guy from Nordic Skater (VT) obviously hasn't done much rollerskiing.

Having roller poles 5cm longer than snow poles is ridiculous.

Luckily they are easy to shorten.

My rollerskiing poles are 5cm shorter than snow ones.
Not quite as short as 32degree's poles but getting there.

Oh well. Cutting poles is no problem. Live and learn. At this point
am just waiting on the order (2 weeks!).
Old October 12th 04, 10:03 PM
Lars

CLASSIC:
get a pen and some paper and draw how the pole goes down on both snow
and asfalt conditions. You'll see that for classic rollerskiing it's
best to use the same lenght pole as on snow, assuming you have low
classic rollerskis like Swenor classic. The tip on rollerski poles are
1,5cm longer than snow tips. Which makes it more ok.

Many shops say go 5cm more than classic on snow. So many use this.
But it's better double pole training to use equal length pole. You'll
feel it in your above belt muscle.