Skiing with prescription glasses

Old November 28th 03, 06:06 PM
JMC

Default Skiing with prescription glasses

My daughter cannot use contact lenses and cannot x-c ski without her
prescription glasses. Regular glasses tend to fog easily; it gets worse on
sunny days when she adds the clip-on sunglasses. I would like to get her
some sports glasses that won't fog easily.

I don't want to get frames with prescription glasses: she would different
pairs depending on the lighting conditions. I'd rather buy her frames with
interchangeable colored lenses that accept inserts. If any of you knows
which models are good and/or should be avoided for x-c skiing in, any input
would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
JMC

Old November 28th 03, 08:25 PM
Chequama Mama

My brother just got a pair of glasses like you describe from
Performance Bicycle. I believe they were either Bolle or Rudy Project.
I'll shoot him an email and find out exactly what he got. He hasn't
been on snow yet this year, but he still might have some insights. They
were pretty reasonably priced (at least comparitively)

Paul

--
Remove the caps to reply
Nordic Nuts

Old November 29th 03, 12:15 AM
Adalbert

"JMC" wrote in message m...

Even sport glasses will fog, especially the double lens type (with RX
inser)- they are the worst because the inside lens and between the
lenses doesn't get enough air circulation. Have you tried some of the
anti-fog lens cleaners? The new formula Shield brand "Fog Buster"
works reasonably well for me. Just rubbing them with dishsoap
apparently works - some hockey players do that to their visors. Even
saliva is rumored to work!
I have the Bolle Parole for which I have 5 lens colour options plus
an RX insert. Even with an anti-fog cleaner, I still have problems
under certain conditions. Skiing hard and then coming to a steep climb
where speed slows to a crawl is a problem. Then there isn't enough air
movement over the lenses to keep them from fogging. This is worst
while night skiing and or high humidity I find. Of course once I crest
the hill and start gliding they clear. As long as I don't hit a tree
first, everything is good 8-).Sunny days are better IMO. try an
anti-fog coating on her regular glasses and clip-ons first before
buying anything. The Bolle system was expensive (about $300 or more if
I remember correctly) and still fogs at times. The second lens (RX)
seems to make fogging worse in my experience. My best and favourite
pair is just a sport glass with an RX prescription. That may be your
best bet if you get a brown tint not too dark should cover most
conditions except night. Skiing at a moderate pace so as to not
overheat and also keep moving - those also prevent fogging. When she
stops she should slide the glasses up off he face to prevent fogging.
Hope some one else has some good tips also!

Old November 29th 03, 04:44 AM
mark strabel

I have the same problem as your daughter. I found that The Oakley M Frame
with prescription works awesome! and I can get other lens for the different
lighting conditions
Check out Oakley's website.

Old November 30th 03, 01:52 AM
Kevin Miller

"JMC" (nospam) wrote:

My daughter cannot use contact lenses and cannot x-c ski without her
prescription glasses. Regular glasses tend to fog easily;
I don't want to get frames with prescription glasses: she would need
different pairs depending on the lighting conditions. ...

I bought a pair of $30 "wrap-around" "snowboard-style" sunglasses, threw
away the lenses, then headed to an optician. He fit them with a pair of
Transitions plastic photochromatic prescription lens
(http://www.transitions.com), then unwrapped the frame a tiny bit to
eliminate lens-angle distortion. I've had them for over 4 years.
The Transitions lenses are almost clear at night, yet dark brown in
sunlight.

For cold and/or humid weather use, I always apply anti-fog beforehand
(either a commercial product or a glycerine-based soap such as Pears
which is popular here). As long as I don't overdress (I wear an earband
when others wear a hat) and/or stand around in the middle of hard
exercise, they don't fog, but there's no doubt that they are more
fog-prone than expensive regular sunglasses with factory anti-fog
lenses.

Kevin Miller
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing."

Old December 1st 03, 08:03 AM
Anders Lustig

"JMC" wrote in message m...

My daughter cannot use contact lenses and cannot x-c ski without her
prescription glasses. Regular glasses tend to fog easily; it gets worse on
sunny days when she adds the clip-on sunglasses. I would like to get her
some sports glasses that won't fog easily.

A perhaps too obvious solution: do as I do and leave the
glasses at home?

If one is quite not as blind as bat without them, there
really isn´t any greater hazard involved than appearing
a little odd in the eyes of all those whom one doesn´t
recognize because their faces are merely a blur - and
one can always greet *everyone* just in case:-)

OTOH if one has to use glasses (for sufficient eyesight
or for protection), dishwashing liquid or more expensive
ánti-fogging (=glorified dishwashing) liguid do help a
bit.

Last, a radical solution would be to fix one´s eyesight
by a laser surgery: hey presto, no more fogging:-)

Anders
Old December 1st 03, 01:31 PM
JMC

Thank you all for your feedback. Since it is impossible for my daughter to
ski without her glasses (I won't go into details, butltes say that her
lenses usually cost way more that the frames...), we will first try antifog
products first. If that does not work, I will look into prescrition
sunglasses and, if possible, a model that adjusts to light conditions.

Again, thanks.

JMC

Old December 2nd 03, 11:38 PM
Jonathan Scheuch

"JMC" wrote in message m...
My daughter cannot use contact lenses and cannot x-c ski without her
prescription glasses. Regular glasses tend to fog easily; it gets worse on
sunny days when she adds the clip-on sunglasses. I would like to get her
some sports glasses that won't fog easily.

I don't want to get frames with prescription glasses: she would different
pairs depending on the lighting conditions. I'd rather buy her frames with
interchangeable colored lenses that accept inserts. If any of you knows
which models are good and/or should be avoided for x-c skiing in, any input
would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
JMC

The anti-fog product called Cat Crap (not a very nice name) works very
well. I use it on my glasses while XC skiing. I wear goggles over my
presription glasses while alpine skiing and if I apply the product to
my glasses before hand I don't have a problem with fogging.

Jonathan Scheuch