Norwegian relay champs: A lot of teams!

Old January 24th 10, 11:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

Default Norwegian relay champs: A lot of teams!

In a few seconds 118 teams are going to start the first leg of the male
relay champs.

I think we had about 60 female teams a couple of hours ago, so even if
Norway is sending the worst Olympic team (*) since 1988 or so, we do
have a good base of serious skiers. :-)

*) Norway is not using our full 20-skier quota this year, and of the 19
who will go to Vancouver, two (Bergen & Hafsaas) are really biathletes.

Terje
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old January 25th 10, 07:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Iris Postler

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:50:03 +0100, Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at
tmsw.no" wrote:

In a few seconds 118 teams are going to start the first leg of the male
relay champs.

I think we had about 60 female teams a couple of hours ago, so even if
Norway is sending the worst Olympic team (*) since 1988 or so, we do
have a good base of serious skiers. :-)

*) Norway is not using our full 20-skier quota this year, and of the 19
who will go to Vancouver, two (Bergen & Hafsaas) are really biathletes.

Terje

What about Hilde Pedersen? Did she ski with her daughters?
Old January 26th 10, 06:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Anders

On Jan 25, 10:44*pm, Iris Postler wrote:

What about Hilde Pedersen? Did she ski with her daughters?

Yes. The relay team for Nybygda consisted of Hilde G and her twin
daughters this time, too, and finished sixth. Terje will correct me if
I'm wrong, but Hilde, Eli and Ida have raced in all relay champs since
their historical victory in 2006. (Ma Pedersen, born in 1964, also
raced in the 10 F and finished 19th, 3:45 behind Marit Bjørgen, while
Ida, born in 1988, finished 44th, a further 2:15 back.)

Astrid Uhrenholdt Jacobsen anchored the winning leg for the ruling
champions, Heming. The skiers that can be expected to make bigger
headlines in Vancouver, Marit Bjørgen, VIbeke Skofterud and Kristin
Størmer Steira, were not competing, because their clubs had not
entered a team.

Meanwhile, Petter Northug's little brother Tomas won the sprint event
in the Junior World Championships in Hinterzarten - but I believe that
Petter Sr. isn't planning on entering the relays in 2011:-)

Anders
Old January 26th 10, 06:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

Anders wrote:
On Jan 25, 10:44 pm, Iris wrote:

What about Hilde Pedersen? Did she ski with her daughters?

Yes. The relay team for Nybygda consisted of Hilde G and her twin
daughters this time, too, and finished sixth. Terje will correct me if
I'm wrong, but Hilde, Eli and Ida have raced in all relay champs since

I think this is correct.

their historical victory in 2006. (Ma Pedersen, born in 1964, also
raced in the 10 F and finished 19th, 3:45 behind Marit Bjørgen, while
Ida, born in 1988, finished 44th, a further 2:15 back.)

Astrid Uhrenholdt Jacobsen anchored the winning leg for the ruling

She won it by a shoe this year, she's obviously still not back to her
old self, but starting from a broken back after that mountain bike fall
in summer training she is still quite happy to be back at all.

champions, Heming. The skiers that can be expected to make bigger
headlines in Vancouver, Marit Bjørgen, VIbeke Skofterud and Kristin
Størmer Steira, were not competing, because their clubs had not
entered a team.

Or maybe: Since their star didn't want to race, in order to concentrate
on Vancouver, each of these clubs withdrew from the start list?

Meanwhile, Petter Northug's little brother Tomas won the sprint event
in the Junior World Championships in Hinterzarten - but I believe that
Petter Sr. isn't planning on entering the relays in 2011:-)

:-)

Terje

PS. Yesterday the big news on NRK was the first interview with Raphael
Poiree after his ATV accident a month or two ago: He is slowly gaining
back motor control of arms and legs, he told that he was very shocked
when the doctors had told him that his neck/spine had been so far out of
alignment that a single mm more would have left him a paraplegic or worse.

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old January 26th 10, 10:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

Default Norwegian relay champs: Family teams?

Meanwhile, Petter Northug's little brother Tomas won the sprint event
in the Junior World Championships in Hinterzarten - but I believe that
Petter Sr. isn't planning on entering the relays in 2011:-)

No, but there's a 13 year old kid brother with, according to the father,
a "lot of talent", so maybe 3-4 years from now they might match the
Pedersen feat. :-)

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old January 26th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Iris Postler

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:53:25 +0100, Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at
tmsw.no" wrote:

Anders wrote:
On Jan 25, 10:44 pm, Iris wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your answers, and good to know that Poiree is getting
better.
Old January 27th 10, 05:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Anders

On Jan 26, 9:53*am, Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no"
wrote:

The skiers that can be expected to make bigger
headlines in Vancouver, Marit Bj rgen, VIbeke Skofterud and Kristin
Størmer Steira, were not competing, because their clubs had not
entered a team.

Or maybe: Since their star didn't want to race, in order to concentrate
on Vancouver, each of these clubs withdrew from the start list?

I thought of that as a possibility, but I didn't want to suggest it
myself. The timing of the Finnish relays (usually in late March, after
the winter's big event) is more felicitous and it is extremely rare
that big stars leave their teams in the lurch (and the spectators
disappointed) even when the chances of a podium place might be slim.
(I can immediately recall only our drama queen Virpi Kuitunen as an
exception one year when she was involved in a battle for the overall
WC title.)

PS. Yesterday the big news on NRK was the first interview with Raphael
Poiree after his ATV accident a month or two ago: He is slowly gaining
back motor control of arms and legs, he told that he was very shocked
when the doctors had told him that his neck/spine had been so far out of
alignment that a single mm more would have left him a paraplegic or worse..

http://newsinenglish.no/News/sportsbriefs.html

Good luck to him! Those vehicles can be treacherous. (A childhood
friend killed himself on one.)

Anders