S-Lab Carbon Skate and RS Carbon Skate AND Active 8 M's & Vitane 8 W's Skate Boots

Old September 6th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

Default S-Lab Carbon Skate and RS Carbon Skate AND Active 8 M's & Vitane 8 W's Skate Boots

About to pick up roller ski skate equipment (which I'll also use for
skate skiing). Can anyone comment on the above Salomon skates for fit
and performance? I heard the same Salomon Carbon models last season
has a narrow toe box. Is this still true? I have a slightly wide foot
(usually take a normal width and only sometimes an E depending on the
cut of a boot/shoe).

Also, how do the Carbon's compare to the Active 8 and Vitane 8 boots?

I plan to use these 4 seasons (even in the middle of summer). While I
think the black boots look nice, they'll probably be a little hotter in
summer. Hope one of the boot companies will one day come out with
summer roller ski skate boots. Hopefully the sport will expand enough
for this to happen.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old September 13th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
velotique

The Carbon Boots were a change from Salomon's standard (wide) fit.
They are no longer being made (yippeee!)
The new S-lab boots have a fit similar to the regular Salomon fit
(wide)
I have wide feet...I could not ware the Carbon Boots, after years in
the Race 9 Boots.
The S-lab boots fit my feet.
The Active 8 use the same wide last.
--Saul

Old September 14th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Caveat emptor, i.e., I don't think so. I use Bumblebees and Active
8s, and was expecting a great fit in the S-Lab skate boots based on
skiing in the classic version of the same size last winter. No luck.
In 30 minutes walking around the store the other day they pinched
laterally. What a relief to take them off. I'm hoping that with a
different sole construction the classic fit will be better in the next
size up. One thing about these sock-insert boots is that they can't be
stretched except by wear, which is a crap shoot if the fit isn't
perfect right off. Moral of the story is try them first inside and
make sure return is allowed.

RM

Old September 18th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I tried another pair of S-Lab skates and found the pinch disappeared
after several off and ons over the course of an hour. I keep
hearing that the boots won't stretch because they're carbon, but I
think the sides are synthetic and the carbon is used to stiffen plastic
parts, such as the sole. The first time I tried these the top was
really painful on one foot (where the yellow plastic and laces are).
This happened again off and on during the second tryout, but I can't
say for sure what is causing it and what I did to get it to stop
sometimes. Based on a sample of two, I noticed where those plastic
pieces seat on the foot varies between boots by maybe a 1/4," but can't
say for sure if that's causing the pain. Why is there plastic in there
instead of the usual soft top? The store mgr said it was about keeping
up with Fischer's Centrix. It does offer support, but doesn't seem
absolutely necessary.

RM